Turn on thread page Beta

How can I put on weight? watch

Would prefer to remain anonymous, but not totally bothered if not.

For a long time now I have been trying to put on weight, but without success.

Don't say "eat loads of high-calorie junk", because I tried that. In the summer, I went through 2 weeks where I was eating around 3000 calories a day, but because I get full relatively easily, it was mostly unhealthy saturated fats like fast food, and I had a big fried breakfast every day. I did manage to put on a small amount of weight - a kilo or two, but I couldn't keep it up because I felt so groggy. As soon as I started eating normally again, I dropped that weight in 3 days and actually was slightly lighter than I had been before those weeks.

In terms of eating healthy mono/polyunsaturated fats and carbs, that basically is my normal diet anyway: 3 hot, balanced meals a day with desert with lunch and dinner, and usually a mid-morning and afternoon snack.

I have been doing resistance training now instead of cardio once a week, and although this has been beneficial in that I feel stronger and healthier it hasn't, as I had been told, made me heavier.

What can I do? According to my BMI I am underweight, I look scrawny and unhealthy and a lot of people assume I am anorexic when they meet me.

I don't really understand nutrition, so any help would be very welcome!
    (the reason I haven't tried nutrition shakes is because my dad, who is a consultant, says they're ********? But then again he's a big cynic. Also I am an 18 yo f)

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried looking at weight gain supplements in health food shops?

ReputationRep:
    Try caloreen or similar - its basically just a powder that has no taste of its own that you can add to any food or drink and get a calorie load but without having to stuff your face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would prefer to remain anonymous, but not totally bothered if not.

For a long time now I have been trying to put on weight, but without success.

Don't say "eat loads of high-calorie junk", because I tried that. In the summer, I went through 2 weeks where I was eating around 3000 calories a day, but because I get full relatively easily, it was mostly unhealthy saturated fats like fast food, and I had a big fried breakfast every day. I did manage to put on a small amount of weight - a kilo or two, but I couldn't keep it up because I felt so groggy. As soon as I started eating normally again, I dropped that weight in 3 days and actually was slightly lighter than I had been before those weeks.

In terms of eating healthy mono/polyunsaturated fats and carbs, that basically is my normal diet anyway: 3 hot, balanced meals a day with desert with lunch and dinner, and usually a mid-morning and afternoon snack.

I have been doing resistance training now instead of cardio once a week, and although this has been beneficial in that I feel stronger and healthier it hasn't, as I had been told, made me heavier.

What can I do? According to my BMI I am underweight, I look scrawny and unhealthy and a lot of people assume I am anorexic when they meet me.

I don't really understand nutrition, so any help would be very welcome!
    (the reason I haven't tried nutrition shakes is because my dad, who is a consultant, says they're ********? But then again he's a big cynic. Also I am an 18 yo f)
    1. eat fatty foods
    2. dont excercise
    3. gain weight
    4. ????
    5. PROFIT!

(Original post by AlanD1993)
    1. eat fatty foods
    2. dont excercise
    3. gain weight
    4. ????
    5. PROFIT!
    Did you actually read what I wrote?
    I tried that.

(Original post by EmersonDrain)
    Try caloreen or similar - its basically just a powder that has no taste of its own that you can add to any food or drink and get a calorie load but without having to stuff your face.
    Do you know if these actually work? I tried build-up before and it made no difference!

ReputationRep:
    protein shakes are essentially what's in baby formula milk

have u tried the high carb approach?

ReputationRep:
    Eating fatty foods is not the way you should go about gaining weight. With it will come the high blood pressure, cholesterol and other problems which you don't want.

Increase portion sizes. Opt for protein, carbohydrate and dairy etc.

You have a high metabolism which can be tricky to overcome. Have you spoke to your GP about trying to gain weight? He can help you, or refer you to a nurse who can. Theyll plan you out a weekly diet and look at your current lifestyle. I think you'll benefit from this lots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Eating fatty foods is not the way you should go about gaining weight. With it will come the high blood pressure, cholesterol and other problems which you don't want.

You have a high metabolism which can be tricky to overcome. Have you spoke to your GP about trying to gain weight? He can help you, or refer you to a nurse who can. Theyll plan you out a weekly diet and look at your current lifestyle. I think you'll benefit from this lots.
    aye

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if these actually work? I tried build-up before and it made no difference!
    Maxijul Caloreen and Polycal are all very effectively in helping you gain weight. They are aimed at people who are ill and can't eat much but need to massively up their calorie intake eg patients with cancer, cystic fibrosis etc.

You can get Maxijul Caloreen and Polycal on prescription from your GP if you want to get it free / cheap or just buy it online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmersonDrain)
    Maxijul Caloreen and Polycal are all very effectively in helping you gain weight. They are aimed at people who are ill and can't eat much but need to massively up their calorie intake eg patients with cancer, cystic fibrosis etc.

You can get Maxijul Caloreen and Polycal on prescription from your GP if you want to get it free / cheap or just buy it online.
    there are just sugar essentially

(Original post by xo-Heva)

Excellent advice, but I've already tried it/do it already!

I think I will just go to the doctor, although I would feel a bit like I was wasting NHS resources when I'm not actually sick per se! But I've tried all the obvious things, thought posting on here might give me a new idea that I haven't tried before. Clearly, my metabolism is very specific to me and I therefore need a health plan tailored for me.

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually read what I wrote?
    I tried that.
    I tried your mum, she wasnt that great

(Original post by Adonis)
    there are just sugar essentially
    What brands would you recommend then?

By high-carb approach, do you just mean eating a lot of carbs?

ReputationRep:
    What brands would you recommend then?

By high-carb approach, do you just mean eating a lot of carbs?
    they sell generic malto in a few places

yes, so loads of rice, bread, pasta and whatnot

ReputationRep:
    Excellent advice, but I've already tried it/do it already!

I think I will just go to the doctor, although I would feel a bit like I was wasting NHS resources when I'm not actually sick per se! But I've tried all the obvious things, thought posting on here might give me a new idea that I haven't tried before. Clearly, my metabolism is very specific to me and I therefore need a health plan tailored for me.
    list

1. what u eat/drink on average day, include portions
    2. activity

ReputationRep:
    MILK and SQUATS!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it is very tough, harder than loosing weight, well I had the same problem about two years ago, you should learn cooking, like spaghettis, pasta or rice with tuna, it is healthy and very good for gaining weight, and cheap, meat, but do not go to fast food, and you should eat at least every three hours, in smaller amounts you will boost your metabolism - maybe this is the most crucial thing, and go to gym, do stuff like dead lift (for back) and maybe squats etc., after three months I put on 16 kilograms.

(Original post by Adonis)
    list

1. what u eat/drink on average day, include portions
    2. activity
    1. Erm ... breakfast, either fry up or two slices of toast with beans if I don't have time. Fry up consists of: 2 slice toast, 1 slice fried bread, 2 sausage, 2 rashers bacon, either 1 egg fried or 2 plus milk scrambled. Milky sugary tea or hot chocolate

Morning snack - chocolate bar, cereal bar, crisps, cake

lunch, school meal. Usually pasta dishes, curry, roast. Often make tuna salad on the side as portions slightly on smaller side (girl's school). Always have desert, usually some kind of cake with custard.

Afternoon snack -as before, if I have space microwaved jacket potato and butter/beans

Dinner - cooked meal, could be anything but mostly consists of meat/carb/vegetables.

Tea or hot choc before bed

2. Go to gym once or twice a week - use weight machines for about 30 mins, then when I get bored do 15 mins cross-trainer on highest resistance, then go back to weights for a bit

1. Erm ... breakfast, either fry up or two slices of toast with beans if I don't have time. Fry up consists of: 2 slice toast, 1 slice fried bread, 2 sausage, 2 rashers bacon, either 1 egg fried or 2 plus milk scrambled. Milky sugary tea or hot chocolate

Morning snack - chocolate bar, cereal bar, crisps, cake

lunch, school meal. Usually pasta dishes, curry, roast. Often make tuna salad on the side as portions slightly on smaller side (girl's school). Always have desert, usually some kind of cake with custard.

Afternoon snack -as before, if I have space microwaved jacket potato and butter/beans

Dinner - cooked meal, could be anything but mostly consists of meat/carb/vegetables.

Tea or hot choc before bed

2. Go to gym once or twice a week - use weight machines for about 30 mins, then when I get bored do 15 mins cross-trainer on highest resistance, then go back to weights for a bit
    EDIT: For my gender and age, I would say this wasn't a small amount, yet I fluctuate between 49 - 51 kilos, and the heaviest I've been in my life is 51.9

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.