Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm trying to find more information on Biologists, Chemists and Physisits (i cant spell!). I'm wondering what exactly they do? I know that seems an obvious question but i'm wondering if it's like what you see on TV.

Also about the jobs, to be a "Biologist" say is it employable? Like are there buisnesses, like the NHS, who employ people to do research every day?

Thanks, Michael

ReputationRep:
    1. Thing on the problem while doing research for the already discovered knowledge.
    2. Collecting data and formating it properly and group it in appropriate categories.
    3. Formulating methods and experiments for solving the problem.
    4. Conducting them.
    5. Based on the gather information, restart the cycle.

Each of these 5 steps can take from 30 mins to 3 years or more. :lol:

It mostly isn't that exciting as you see it on TV. Imagine sitting in front of a pc for months collecting and tabulating data.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike2niner4)
    Hey,

I'm trying to find more information on Biologists, Chemists and Physisits (i cant spell!). I'm wondering what exactly they do? I know that seems an obvious question but i'm wondering if it's like what you see on TV.

Also about the jobs, to be a "Biologist" say is it employable? Like are there buisnesses, like the NHS, who employ people to do research every day?

Thanks, Michael
    Okay basically: yes to everything

As far as "the job of a biologist" there are lots of things:
    - You can do research. Either for a research council like the BBSRC or NERC or for a business like a drugs company or something. Whenever you hear on the TV that scientists have discovered something, that'll be your bog standard researchers. Like Boon says it's not all that glamorous, but it is interesting and useful. That said, my old tutor's wife used to track moose in a helicopter which sounds pretty fun to me :p:
    - Work for charities (as in on policy and things, not volunteering) or advising groups. E.g. if a mining company wants to mine an area they employ a biologist to inform them about issues concerning wildlife in the area
    - Teach
    - Go into another field with a biology slant - for instance some people do law conversion; or something like wildlife photography

As for whether or not Biology is employable, out of my previous classmates:
    - Me, TM, KB, MS, PS, SM, BH, AY, SJ, SR, EH, SK, CM, HC, HW (=15) are all doing PhDs or masters on a variety of subjects ranging from plant genetics to fox behaviour at a variety of universities from Oxford to Edinburgh to Bristol
    - Marco E + Sarah Z are doing Grad Medicine... have a feeling they're not the only ones
    - TG is working for Earth Watch
    - TC is training as a pilot
    - SJ is a professional opera singer, although that was always gonna be the case even when we were undergrads
    - DF is working in the city
    - CE and a couple of others went for teaching I think
    - RM is working as a lifeguard...

Basically, a lot of us carried on as biologists, a few went for medicine or the city, some did some charity stuff and some headed for completed unrelated things.

ReputationRep:
    www.rsc.org

ReputationRep:
    Google does you has?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.