Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

So I've come to the decision to build my on PC, with a max budget of around £300. My main computer usage is a half and half mixture of office programs, web browsing and then gaming.

Having done some research on my current computer components I think I'm going to ditch them all and start fresh. So I need some help with a couple of specific bits.

First off, can anyone recommend a motherboard? I thought about getting one which supports DDR2 and DDR3 memory incase of future upgrade (Example). Anyone have a good idea?

Secondly, a CPU. Everywhere I go there is debate between AMD and Intel. The information I do have, is that you don't necessarily need high amounds of cache to have a quick systme, especially since AMD is built in or something. For my usage, what kind of CPU should I get?

I think that's all really. I feel like their the two parts which require the biggest investment. Buying memory and a graphics card can come a little bit later.

Cheers for any help

ReputationRep:
    AMD Phenom 720 CPU and a 790Gx motherboard
    best bang for buck on amd side.

Core i5/p55 on the intel front.

Forget ddr2 btw, some shops swap ram so try em if you got spare ddr2

ATI 5770 or 5850 for your future gfx btw and get a corsair tx650 with the cpu/mobo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raggzy)

ATI 5770 or 5850 for your future gfx btw and get a corsair tx650 with the cpu/mobo.
    Thanks for the advice, I found the CPU you mentioned, but the motherboard came up with quite a few options? Just wondering if you meant a specific one?

ReputationRep:
    tell me the price you'd pay for a motherboard and if you plan to crossfire

ReputationRep:
    tell me the price you'd pay for a motherboard and if you plan to crossfire
    Up to £80 ish? I'm not sure if I want to crossfire, since I don't know what it is! lol. err...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

lol for 300 u aint getting none of them
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    :ditto:

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    AMD Phenom 720 - £92
    790Gx mobo - £80
    Corsair TX650 - £72

oh really?
    I am sure swapping ram is free leaving case, hdd and optical drive (minor budget stretching/use previous parts?)
    790gx has onboard vid ram, more then enough for css etc so a vid card later and i presume he has a monitor, so yes. Possible.

Besides, it beats your input.

OP I will find a specific mobo for you, at worse case you can shoot for Amd phenom 550.
    What games do u plan to play?

And how olds your pc?

ReputationRep:
    AMD Phenom 720 - £92
    790Gx mobo - £80
    Corsair TX650 - £72

oh really?
    I am sure swapping ram is free leaving case, hdd and optical drive (minor budget stretching/use previous parts?)
    790gx has onboard vid ram, more then enough for css etc so a vid card later and i presume he has a monitor, so yes. Possible.

Besides, it beats your input.

OP I will find a specific mobo for you, at worse case you can shoot for Amd phenom 550.
    What games do u plan to play?

And how olds your pc?
    Thanks again for your input. At the moment I'm only playing CS 1.6 which is OLD. But I did buy CS Source which doesn't run to quickly on my PC. I also have Medieval Total War Rome which I play very occasionally. Though, once I have an upgraded PC I'll probably download some games which run well on it.

My PC is pretty old. Here is the spec:

MSI 661FM2-LSR - motherboard - micro ATX - SiS661FX
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
    1.25GB DDR memory
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    he doesnt need a 650 watt psu then, this would be a better idea

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131052
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

try this

ReputationRep:
    Give me ten minutes!

ReputationRep:
    your gaming is going to be substandard im afraid

cant you increase your budget??

ReputationRep:
    Ok, It's over by almost £37, but those £37 will give you a world of difference in games compared to anything sub £300... Whilst still keeping general usage fantastic.

However, slightly downgrade to this motherboard: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168980 , and it's all yours for £310...

ReputationRep:
    A good graphics card will take out half your budget.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by v-zero)
    Ok, It's over by almost £37, but those £37 will give you a world of difference in games compared to anything sub £300... Whilst still keeping general usage fantastic.

However, slightly downgrade to this motherboard: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168980 , and it's all yours for £310...
    dodgy psu, bad ram .

ReputationRep:
    dodgy psu, bad ram .
    Poor comment.

It's good RAM, usually Corsair, sometimes Hynix. Highly reliable, all that is needed from general purpose usage. As for the PSU, it too is a good quality item, not the normal crappy fair that you get with cheaper PSUs.

I've used this stuff, so I know.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both Damachi and V-zero for going to all this trouble! I'll rep you both in a second. The slightly over £300 is fine I think, I realise that sometimes an extra couple of quid can double your outcome.

I think this is the current DVD/CD drive I have. Do you think I can keep this or will need to replace it with the one you reccomend?

ReputationRep:

try this
    Forgot a graphics card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Forgot a graphics card.
    He intends him to use the onboard graphics, which tbf, are dirt. Especially for something like RTW...

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.