Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    tl; dr :pierre:

use some paragraphs! :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert, but for one reason or another I'm happy to read this and give you a few pointers. This is just my own opinion (and will nicely make anything I ever decide to post here look like **** for my throwing stones), so don't take it to heart - but I think although you show promise, in case you were thinking of padding this out to a full-scale story this particular piece is a write-off. (See what I did there?)

Bullets, ahoy:

- The main issue is the overuse of adjectives. "It was an ordinary day; the shaded silhouettes of the frolicking insects in the midday sun created a magnificent stage show." Despite the fact that "a magnificent stage show" of insects wouldn't seem to me an ordinary day at all, the sentence becomes very jarring. So do many of the others.
    - You need a better sense of character and plot. I've just read a whole set of paragraphs of your story, and all I have the impression of is someone who is superstitious ("evil-filled clouds" etc), a moaner, with erratic emotions which switch instantly from "mesmerised" to hopeless and back again. So you're stuck in a cell for 40 years? I, the reader, don't really care. As nice as first-person is, I think writing in third would be more appropriate.
    - Too much happens in a too short space of time. No sense of pace, etc.
    - It's just... meh.

Anyway, nice try. The moral of this is that you should scrunch your piece up, lean backwards and try to land it in your wastepaper basket. But practise will definately help you improve; get a fresh slate, take a deep breath and try again.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, it started off allright, but by the end of it, i lost interest....i think you are way too descriptive. I dont think it is absymal tbh, but it is somewhat confusing as at one point you say "it was all in slow motion" and then next minute you are saying "everything was rushing at a 100 miles an hour".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.