Turn on thread page Beta

Centre of mass of uniform circular arc & sector watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How can I find the centre of mass of a uniform circular arc & sector? Tips please!

ReputationRep:
    For an arc that subtends an angle  2\alpha (in radians) at the centre of the circle, the centre of mass is a distance  \frac{r\sin \alpha}{\alpha} from the centre of the circle along the axis of symmetry. For a sector, the result becomes  \frac{2r\sin \alpha}{3\alpha} .
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The first result can be proved by considering a general point P on the arc such that an angle of \theta radians between the line PO (O being the centre of the circle) and the axis of symmetry of the arc is made. And then consider the point P', such that an angle of  \delta \theta is made between PO and P'O. Now let an x-axis run (in a positive direction) from O through the axis of symmetry. Then the x-coordinate of the centre of mass of the small arc PP' is  r\cos \theta, and the length of this arc is  r \delta \theta. Now using the fact that:

\displaystyle\sum mx = \bar{x}\displaystyle\sum m , where  \bar{x} is the centre of mass, we can sum up the masses and centre of masses of all the small arcs to get the centre of mass of the whole arc. (As the arc is considered to be uniform, we can let its length represent its mass.) And hence, to find the centre of mass of the arc, we want:

\displaystyle\lim_{\delta \theta \to 0} \displaystyle\sum_{\theta = -\alpha}^{\alpha} r\cos \theta \times r \delta \theta = \bar{x} \displaystyle\lim_{\delta \theta \to 0} \displaystyle\sum_{\theta = -\alpha}^{\alpha} r \delta \theta

\implies r^2 \displaystyle\int_{-\alpha}^{\alpha}\cos \theta \ \mathrm{d}\theta = \bar{x}r \displaystyle\int_{-\alpha}^{\alpha} \ \mathrm{d}\theta

\implies 2r\sin \alpha = 2\alpha \bar{x} \iff \boxed{\bar{x} = \dfrac{r\sin \alpha}{\alpha}} .

The proof is exactly the same for the sectors, except, the centre of masses of each arc are taken to be 2/3 of the way from O to P (as the sectors, as  \delta \theta tends to zero, become approoximately triangles).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dialetheism)
    How can I find the centre of mass of a uniform circular arc & sector? Tips please!
    Im assuming you need the proof..
    For the arc :
    Draw an arc symmetrical in the x axis such that the x axis bisects the arc at angle alpha.
    Let w be the mass per unit length.
    take a really small section if this arc , which has an angle(d for delta) d theta and length r.dtheta
    The mass of the element is then w.r.dtheta
    find the x coordinate of the c of m) (consider the sum of all w.r.dtheta from apha to -alpha)
    You need to then consider integration for the area ...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! yeah, I needed a proof. I'll try your method. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dialetheism)
    Thanks! yeah, I needed a proof. I'll try your method. Cheers
    I've given a proof in the spoiler of my post above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbounded)
    For an arc that subtends an angle  2\alpha (in radians) at the centre of the circle, the centre of mass is a distance  \frac{r\sin \alpha}{\alpha} from the centre of the circle along the axis of symmetry. For a sector, the result becomes  \frac{2r\sin \alpha}{3\alpha} .
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The first result can be proved by considering a general point P on the arc such that an angle of \theta radians between the line PO (O being the centre of the circle) and the axis of symmetry of the arc is made. And then consider the point P', such that an angle of  \delta \theta is made between PO and P'O. Now let an x-axis run (in a positive direction) from O through the axis of symmetry. Then the x-coordinate of the centre of mass of the small arc PP' is  r\cos \theta, and the length of this arc is  r \delta \theta. Now using the fact that:

\displaystyle\sum mx = \bar{x}\displaystyle\sum m , where  \bar{x} is the centre of mass, we can sum up the masses and centre of masses of all the small arcs to get the centre of mass of the whole arc. (As the arc is considered to be uniform, we can let its length represent its mass.) And hence, to find the centre of mass of the arc, we want:

\displaystyle\lim_{\delta \theta \to 0} \displaystyle\sum_{\theta = -\alpha}^{\alpha} r\cos \theta \times r \delta \theta = \bar{x} \displaystyle\lim_{\delta \theta \to 0} \displaystyle\sum_{\theta = -\alpha}^{\alpha} r \delta \theta

\implies r^2 \displaystyle\int_{-\alpha}^{\alpha}\cos \theta \ \mathrm{d}\theta = \bar{x}r \displaystyle\int_{-\alpha}^{\alpha} \ \mathrm{d}\theta

\implies 2r\sin \alpha = 2\alpha \bar{x} \iff \boxed{\bar{x} = \dfrac{r\sin \alpha}{\alpha}} .

The proof is exactly the same for the sectors, except, the centre of masses of each arc are taken to be 2/3 of the way from O to P (as the sectors, as  \delta \theta tends to zero, become approoximately triangles).

Thank you this was extremely helpful

ReputationRep:
    Thank you soo much ! This helped me lot .

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.