Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys.

Once again, killing time, but this is actually a serious question. Im applying to the following schools for economics

Oxford, UCL, Warwick, LSE, Edinburgh

But as well-ranked and prestigious as the others are, a little voice inside is pushing me toward Edinburgh (not that Edinburgh isn't either of those, its just not "as" prestigious).

Did anyone in a similar situation listen to that voice and go to Edinbugh? If so, why? Do you regret your decision?

ReputationRep:
    turned down Warwick (and KCL, arguably more prestigious, but brilliant reputation for philosophy) for Edinburgh, partly for financial reasons (EU student), partly because I like the flexibility of the course and because I didn't want to live in the middle of nowhere. I'm loving it so far but it's only been a month

ReputationRep:
    Follow what you want to do. Most people will call me stupid but I turned down Edinburgh for a much less prestigious uni, and I'm really happy with my decision. There is no point going somewhere you don't particularly want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brazilianrocker)

But as well-ranked and prestigious as the others are, a little voice inside is pushing me toward Edinburgh (not that Edinburgh isn't either of those, its just not "as" prestigious).
    Rankings and prestige aren't the be all and end all.
    Currently Edinburgh is sitting at 20 in the world compared to Oxford at 5th, UCL at 4th, Warwick at 58 and LSE at 67th. You don't state your subject so I can't compare on that basis. But off the back of current world rankings Edinburgh is certainly not the least prestigious of your options there. TES 2009 World Rankings here.

For now it's safer for you to be happy to attend anywhere that you have chosen to apply to and wait for some responses before you get carried away with where you will turn down. For now if there's anywhere that you feel you'd definitely turn down, you may as well pick a different university to apply to in its place.

ReputationRep:
    I turned down Imperial for theoretical physics, partly for money concerns, and partly because I loved Edinburgh more. I also turned down St Andrews and Leeds, but I'm not sure if they're considered more prestigious than Edinburgh. Well, Leeds isn't, but St Andrews...

ReputationRep:
    I rejected a UCL offer, and I guess if you count St Andrews as up there, then I rejected one from them too (the Edinburgh student loyalty in me says we are better anyway). Its not about going to the university which is highest in the league tables - and anyway, Edinburgh do a damn good job! Its about going somewhere where you love and want to spend the next 3 or 4 years of your life doing your degree and getting into a hell of a lot of debt for in the process, so you really need to love the course, the university and the city.

Edinburgh was my favourite university from looking at the prospectus onwards, I knew I wanted to come here ever since then and I didn't really consider anywhere else at all in my rankings list, Edinburgh was always first. If I hadn't managed to get an Edinburgh offer I would obviously have had to reassess, but as far as I was concerned from the start, Edinburgh would be my firm if I got the offer. I seriously have no idea what I'd have done if I didn't get in or meet my grades on results day.

Anyway, as artorscience says, at this moment in time all you need to concern yourself with is ensuring you're applying for 5 places you might like to go to for uni. You could get rejected from all 5 for all you know so whats the point in trying to make any decisions yet?

ReputationRep:
    turned down warwick for edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    isn't Edinburgh more prestigious then Warwick? The amount of people i know who hadn't even heard of Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    You don't state your subject so I can't compare on that basis.
    Im doing Econ (Economics and Management at Oxford) for all of them

ReputationRep:
    hey guys.

Once again, killing time, but this is actually a serious question. Im applying to the following schools for economics

Did anyone in a similar situation listen to that voice and go to Edinbugh? If so, why? Do you regret your decision?
    I turned down offers at LSE, York, Durham, and Nottingham (for PPE/politics, all of which sit higher in the league tables than Edinburgh) to go to Edinburgh. I was rejected at Oxford. I don't regret my decision--I'm getting a great education at Edinburgh, and I love the city. I decided to opt for Edinburgh because it seemed like a great place to live for four years. I liked the course, and I liked the unconditional offer I had here (although I had an unconditional offer at Nottingham as well). I'm actually thinking about staying in Edinburgh to do a law degree and build a career here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    I turned down offers at LSE, York, Durham, and Nottingham (for PPE/politics, all of which sit higher in the league tables than Edinburgh) to go to Edinburgh. I was rejected at Oxford. I don't regret my decision--I'm getting a great education at Edinburgh, and I love the city. I decided to opt for Edinburgh because it seemed like a great place to live for four years. I liked the course, and I liked the unconditional offer I had here (although I had an unconditional offer at Nottingham as well). I'm actually thinking about staying in Edinburgh to do a law degree and build a career here.
    You turned down LSE for Edinburgh simply because you liked the city? Was it that important to you?

Also, if you combine the four choices you turned down (LSE, York, Durham and Nottingham) with Oxford (which you must have applied to to get rejected from) and Edinburgh, that makes 6 choices, and UCAS only permits 5. How is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    You turned down LSE for Edinburgh simply because you liked the city? Was it that important to you?

Also, if you combine the four choices you turned down (LSE, York, Durham and Nottingham) with Oxford (which you must have applied to to get rejected from) and Edinburgh, that makes 6 choices, and UCAS only permits 5. How is that possible?
    I know I applied to six courses: in 2006, applicants were allowed six choices. They changed the rules in 2007 or 2008.

Liking the place where I live was very important to me. London was too large and intimidating a place for me to live when I was first out on my own. I would advise you not to underestimate how important your surroundings are to your general happiness and academic success.

The desperate search for reputation and prestige by people who have never lived away from home or studied at university is one of the more tiresome things about TSR. Focus on where you would be happy to study. For many, that requires a high academic standard, but there is much more to choosing a university than its rather arbitrary league ranking.

ReputationRep:
    I know I applied to six courses: in 2006, applicants were allowed six choices. They changed the rules in 2007 or 2008.

Liking the place where I live was very important to me. London was too large and intimidating a place for me to live when I was first out on my own. I would advise you not to underestimate how important your surroundings are to your general happiness and academic success.

The desperate search for reputation and prestige by people who have never lived away from home or studied at university is one of the more tiresome things about TSR. Focus on where you would be happy to study. For many, that requires a high academic standard, but there is much more to choosing a university than its rather arbitrary league ranking.
    I agree that surroundings are important, but the most important factor for me at least, is course intensity. I do not mind coming out of a school that is less well-known and prestigious, but I do mind coming out of a school knowing less of my subject than the other graduates.

How do you think the rigor of Edinburgh's curriculum compares to the rest of the high level universities?

ReputationRep:
    I agree that surroundings are important, but the most important factor for me at least, is course intensity. I do not mind coming out of a school that is less well-known and prestigious, but I do mind coming out of a school knowing less of my subject than the other graduates.

How do you think the rigor of Edinburgh's curriculum compares to the rest of the high level universities?
    The course is as rigorous as you make it. Getting a 2:1 requires a substantial amount of work, but should be quite doable for most people who can get in. Getting a first takes a lot of work. I don't find the work hard per se: it's challenging in some respects, but not beyond my capabilities. There's just a lot to read and learn, and your writing and argument has to be of a very high standard to merit a first.

I don't know how the course stacks up in terms of how much you learn, and that's more down to how much you work than anything else. What course do you want to apply for? Rigour is partly a matter of judgment, and will vary from course to course. In the sciences, for example, there is more demand that you learn specific things. In the arts, it's more up to you. If you get a 2:1, you'll have a strong background, with some notable exceptions (training in research methods for politics is rather poor, which gives graduates trouble if they go on to do research courses in politics).

I would say my course is definitely rigorous, but that has more to do with personal drive and effort than anything else. If you want to learn, the facilities and help are here to help you learn as much as you can. If you don't care, then you can slide through the first two years getting Cs and Ds, but you will probably be screwed at Honours if you try to maintain those habits.

Edit: and to answer your question, I have no clue how the rigour compares to other high level universities, as I have never attended one apart from Edinburgh. I know my sister probably works as hard as I do, doing English literature and creative writing at Warwick. We're probably of fairly equal intellectual ability. YMMV.

ReputationRep:
    What course do you want to apply for?
    I applied for economics. Have you heard anything of Edinburgh's economics department?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for economics. Have you heard anything of Edinburgh's economics department?
    No, I don't really know much about it. Did you check the reviews further up? I've heard the course is rigorous, but I can't tell you much beyond that.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't really know much about it. Did you check the reviews further up? I've heard the course is rigorous, but I can't tell you much beyond that.
    Yea it seems rigorous but its always better to have a students perspective. But (while youre here) in terms of the university itself, do you ever feel Edinburgh as a city gets a little stifling with its small size? Im from New York, and Im not exactly used to a city of 400,000 people. Do you ever run out of things to do or places to go? And is the weather really as dismal as they say it is?

ReputationRep:
    Yea it seems rigorous but its always better to have a students perspective. But (while youre here) in terms of the university itself, do you ever feel Edinburgh as a city gets a little stifling with its small size? Im from New York, and Im not exactly used to a city of 400,000 people. Do you ever run out of things to do or places to go? And is the weather really as dismal as they say it is?
    I don't find Edinburgh stifling, but if you're from New York you might be happier in a larger city. It's worth bearing in mind that you won't really get a larger city except in Glasgow or London, though--most UK cities aren't much bigger than Edinburgh. I haven't run out of things to do or places to go, but I don't really go clubbing much. If you're into that scene, you might find it more limiting than I. And no, the weather isn't as dismal as it is portrayed as--it gets much colder in New York. Edinburgh is a very windy city, though. The autumn days can be beautiful. The problem is more with the short winter days--the long winter night can wear you down, but I feel all the happier when Spring comes. And there's nothing like sitting on the Meadows drinking from 3PM till 6AM, with only about two hours of hard dark and a long twilight, in the summer after you finish exams.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Edinburgh is number 20 in the worldwide university rankings. I'm not complaining. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    isn't Edinburgh more prestigious then Warwick? The amount of people i know who hadn't even heard of Warwick
    No.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 26, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.