Mildly Complicated Finance Issue Watch

Alastor
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi

I know thinking about finance is a bit premature considering I'm still finishing my A2s but my situation is a little bit complicated and it is probably wise to think about earlier.

I currently live in Northern Ireland with my mother and her partner. My father and my mother divorced years back and my father now lives in England. I've applied for universities which are all within England.

My mother's partner recently decided to start a business last from scratch last year and hence the household income has dropped. In contrast my father has a relatively high single income (he lives alone currently.)

When I start university next year I plan to effectively move from NI to my dad's house, spending my time there when not at University Halls. This raises some issues with regards to student finance and entitlement. As I'll be effectively living with my father next year (with my address at his house) I'll be subject to his household income. When I apply in April this year for finance would I be using my mother's and her partner's household income when declaring? The reason I ask is that you are meant to tell Finance when your circumstances change and I'll be effectively living with my dad from August onwards. Trying to maintain that my household address is still in NI would be blatant fraud and I don't want to be banged up in irons.

Would anyone be able to help?
Jmzie-Coupe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're not moving with your dad until after you've applied then obviously put your mum's address in and then do a change of circumstances form once you've moved. Best thing to do is call student finance england up and ask them tbh. What does your father earn if you don't mind my asking? If it's above 60,000 a year then you won't be entitled to grants/bursaries etc.

Sounds like you'll be saving a bit anyway if you're going to be staying with your dad for a bit.
Alastor
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks for the reply. I probably shouldn't get too excited/spend any grants as I'm sure they'll claw them all back when they reassess me on my father's income? I'd probably be notifying them of change of circumstances in August when I move over.

On my father's income I should get some form of grant, he's just under the 60k thankfully (he wouldn't give me anything otherwise, he'd expect me to work!).
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what's with this £60k business. If your parents are on More than £50,020 you get no grant.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (215)
43.88%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (151)
30.82%
I don't have an opinion (124)
25.31%

Watched Threads