Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I need some help - does anyone have any ideas as to how my bedroom can be improved from looking rather childish to something more stylish?
    Im 16 so my parents will be saying 'oh youre going uni soon' so they wont want to spend a lot of money - any ways of improving my room cheaply?

Thankssss :p:

ReputationRep:
    Pics?

ReputationRep:
    Pics would help!

ReputationRep:
    What's so childish about your room?

ReputationRep:
    put up posters of topless women, cars and football teams.

ReputationRep:
    Stick bills to the wall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    What's so childish about your room?
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of the
    Spoiler:
    Show

on your door.

ReputationRep:
    Ikea.

ReputationRep:
    Change the colour scheme maybe, to say, cream and brown if it's a bit out dated or childish? Make it more simple, pack everything away neatly in drawers. Don't leave out loads of games and stuff laying all over the place. Avoid primary colours. Get some sort of art/pictures for your wall like a city scenes or a photo of your fave car, etc. Use lighting to make it cosy and add a rug or something like that. Just little things like changing bedding if it's really patterned/childish and lampshades/painting the walls or hanging photos, makes difference.

ReputationRep:
    I got rid of a lot of stuff from my room recently (about 9 bin bags - I've been hoarding :p:), and just the fact that there is less stuff in there makes it look less childish. Of course, you might not have kept all your 10 year old junk like I did for some odd reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Change the colour scheme maybe, to say, cream and brown if it's a bit out dated or childish? Make it more simple, pack everything away neatly in drawers. Don't leave out loads of games and stuff laying all over the place. Avoid primary colours. Get some sort of art/pictures for your wall like a city scenes or a photo of your fave car, etc. Use lighting to make it cosy and add a rug or something like that. Just little things like changing bedding if it's really patterned/childish and lampshades/painting the walls or hanging photos, makes difference.
    Thanks thats really helpful :yes:

ReputationRep:
    leave it..it will stay a mess when you go to uni anyway
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Definitely worth a trip to Ikea, they have a reduced items section that you could look in first.

Lick of same light paint on all walls but one then have a deeper colour - aubergine/brown/marroon - on that wall. A few photos framed and mounted and a big mirror to give more light. Could consider painting all the furniture the same light colour - makes everything feel a lot calmer. Some fairy lights over the bed will make the lighting feel more muted. Find bedding to complement the darker wall. Block canvases of lighter colour behind the bed or foam headboard from lighter fabric stapled onto some wood. Super easy and you could do it in a day.

Oh I love a good makeover - I did 2 bedrooms in a week on my own (swapped parents' and kids' rooms so it took longer!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost_writer)
    Definitely worth a trip to Ikea, they have a reduced items section that you could look in first.

Lick of same light paint on all walls but one then have a deeper colour - aubergine/brown/marroon - on that wall. A few photos framed and mounted and a big mirror to give more light. Could consider painting all the furniture the same light colour - makes everything feel a lot calmer. Some fairy lights over the bed will make the lighting feel more muted. Find bedding to complement the darker wall. Block canvases of lighter colour behind the bed or foam headboard from lighter fabric stapled onto some wood. Super easy and you could do it in a day.

Oh I love a good makeover - I did 2 bedrooms in a week on my own (swapped parents' and kids' rooms so it took longer!).
    That's also really good advice.
    OP - I agree with ghost.... If you have a biggish room you can get away with painting one wall a dark colour, like the wall your bed is against and the the rest say, cream.
    Chocolate brown or Marron are lovely suggestions but make sure it matches your room and you dont have too many colours going on.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of the stuffed animals
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    That's also really good advice.
    OP - I agree with ghost.... If you have a biggish room you can get away with painting one wall a dark colour, like the wall your bed is against and the the rest say, cream.
    Chocolate brown or Marron are lovely suggestions but make sure it matches your room and you dont have too many colours going on.
    We have our bedroom with all white but a limegreen end wall which has just a deeper green canvas (done by our toddlers) as a bedhead we have 4 reinforced sheets of glass mounted on 2 lengths of 2x4 with a low-light striplight behind it. I love it!

Definitely keep colours to a minimum - less is more for sure. Find some bedding (2 of the same) you like and take it to the paint shop and they'll match the colour exactly.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    lots of books + bookcase.

ReputationRep:
    Delete your CP :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Take everything out and go for the minimalist look

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.