Anyone got a tongue bar? Watch

470dwndow54
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Heey I have a tongue bar and LOOVE it had it since July.
But the thing is, I am always playing with it and I try not to bite it that much and stuff but swear it has chipped my front teeth a bit?
Anyone else have a similar problem?
Also, if you have had a tongue bar for a while has that had any affect?
I also heard that they can grow out... anyone had that!? REALLY don't want that to happen
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've chipped two of my front teeth with it.
I know someone who actually cracked their tooth in two right down the middle with their tongue bar and it was really painful, so try not to do it, although it is difficult not to! To be honest after a while you just forget about it. I've had mine nearly 4 years now and I don't play with it that much as I forget its there.
Bexxxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes. I have had mine for five years and chipped a total of 0 teeth. I dont understand how these people do it, unless mine are magically chipped and no one has noticed yet? If you play with it lots then try a plastic ball . I had one on for the first year or so, so maybe I got all the heavy playing around with it out of the way then? I also had a smaller ball in for a while, and I guess that might have helped too. Lots of options!

As for them growing out... I have not heard of that, and mine is still there! I actually had it out for about a year or so too, and it didnt close up!
Leighthesim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i wan't one, but i am not 18, would get in trouble at work, and don't have to courage to get it done. They are awesome, but you can get plastic balls and things for the top of them- like plasticy squishy spikey balls 8).
470dwndow54
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Leighthesim)
i wan't one, but i am not 18, would get in trouble at work, and don't have to courage to get it done. They are awesome, but you can get plastic balls and things for the top of them- like plasticy squishy spikey balls 8).
yeh they are awesome and u only have to be 16 in england to get them done. i think i'll just get some plastic balls... but they aren't shiny i had a plastic bar but i just chewed it up haha.
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How did you chip/damage your teeth with a tongue bar??
Natasharox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've had a tongue bar for 8 years. No problems with chipped teeth, but I've always had plastic bars. I had a metallic coated plastic bar, which was nice and shiny, but wasn't too hard.

It won't grow out at all! It will block up very quickly if you take it out though.
timetokill
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Regarding an above post, the Law is 18 with tongue and genital piercings in the UK, 16 for others as far as I know. All the piercing places I have ever been in have stated 18 for tongue.
Ive had mine for 6 years and havent experienced any of the associated risks of having a tongue bar- such as chipped teeth, damage to gums etc. Such things are really common though, and if it continues the best thing you could do would be to take it out.
I love my tongue piercing, id wanted it for such a long time, since I was 7. I actually went to a piercing shop to have it done when I was 8, but of course they wouldnt do it lol.
kamc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've had mine for 4 years and haven't chipped any teeth.

I researched piercings for an English project a while ago and I'm sure I found that there is no law in regards to age in England and Wales but most places will say 18 to avoid trouble from parents, etc.
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had mine for about 3-4 years and didn't chip any teeth but its not uncommon to.... I think mainly don't play with it too much and also always make sure your first bite down on each mouthful of food is not too hard, just in case your tongue bar has somehow landed between your teeth. This saved me a few times I reckon.

Long term though if you really care about your teeth a tongue bar isn't the best thing! I ended up taking mine out because I noticed a bit of gum recession on the inside of one of my bottom front teeth (where the ball would rub sometimes) and decided it wasnt worth it. Luckily I was over it by that point, and didnt feel like the bar added much 'value' to me as a person (not sure if that makes any sense!) so I wasn't too fussed. Actually felt slightly liberated!
Hachi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ive chipped my a tooth on the right hand side of my mouth whlst eating, I do this a lot and it hurts but it's only caused damage once.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Chipped teeth is usually a sign of the bar being too long......
sarah369
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by issih)
Heey I have a tongue bar and LOOVE it had it since July.
But the thing is, I am always playing with it and I try not to bite it that much and stuff but swear it has chipped my front teeth a bit?
Anyone else have a similar problem?
Also, if you have had a tongue bar for a while has that had any affect?
I also heard that they can grow out... anyone had that!? REALLY don't want that to happen
I've had my tongue bar for 12 years, and never had a problem with chipped teeth. I used to play with it all the time at first without any problems.
A tongue piercing won't grow out, this is only a problem with surface piercings. But it will close up if you leave it out for long enough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads