Entry Requirments !!! Watch

lulz-kay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
When choosing 5 universities, how many of them should have your predicted grades and lower grades? and how low should they be? - what if the university which has low offers is the only university that accepts you (despite you having high predicted grades) :eek3:
saminator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi, I am interested in this also. My As levels were not too fab because I messed around etc. but my predicted grades are A's so was wondering how many i should put with lower offers as they might just look at my As's.
beatleboar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just to clear up you got low as levels however got high predictions? Well if you were at a university and someone got good as levels and good predictions then there was someone who got bad as levels and good predictions? Which predictions are you more likely to believe?
Mann18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by beatleboar)
Just to clear up you got low as levels however got high predictions? Well if you were at a university and someone got good as levels and good predictions then there was someone who got bad as levels and good predictions? Which predictions are you more likely to believe?
I think the second one. :p:
beatleboar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hence the second one is usually going to get the offer over the first one.
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lulz-kay)
When choosing 5 universities, how many of them should have your predicted grades and lower grades? and how low should they be? - what if the university which has low offers is the only university that accepts you (despite you having high predicted grades) :eek3:
The universities you apply to and the grades they require compared to your predicted grades are up to you, there isn't a set rule. However, you may want to check out the How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections Article.

If your A Level grades exceed the offer the university makes you then you are entitled to use Adjustment.

(Original post by saminator)
Hi, I am interested in this also. My As levels were not too fab because I messed around etc. but my predicted grades are A's so was wondering how many i should put with lower offers as they might just look at my As's.
Might? Of course they will look at your AS grades. Predicted grades are more important than your AS grades, but if there's a significant difference between them then universities will smell a rat and not take them very seriously. If you're likely to do far better at A2 than you did at AS then often the best option is to take a gap year and apply with your achieved grades.
NobodyElseWill
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
Thats where I am now, I'm deciding on my course choices for nursing and i can't decide on one or two choices. I like one place because its nice it's fifteen minutes down the road but i also like this other place i haven't yet visited and i have only seen the glossy prospectus and seen it from a train station.
saminator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by beatleboar)
Hi, sorry Lulz to hijack your thread but can i just ask another question.
So with my 12 gcse's all being a or a* but my As being only BBCE will they take no account of my predictions? I am also a member of gifted and talented youth, so surely that will help them see I am capable of more? Obviously I do hope to up my grades, but have sacked the E subject and am taking another As instead as I cannot get that up to a decent grade. I am worried now!
AndersonsBentFoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So with my 12 gcse's all being a or a* but my As being only BBCE will they take no account of my predictions? I am also a member of gifted and talented youth, so surely that will help them see I am capable of more? Obviously I do hope to up my grades, but have sacked the E subject and am taking another As instead as I cannot get that up to a decent grade. I am worried now!
I am more or less in the same situation. I didnt manage to convert my good GCSE's to AS and now i have a huge amount of work to do. My advice is if you think you are capable of getting 3 A's of whatever it is you want then you do it. If you manage to get the grades then take a gap year and apply next year. I dont think Cambridge or any top uni will give you an offer with BBCE unless you're grades arent cashed-in in which case you can put them all as pending. If you got your heart set on a top ujni you may have to take a gap year if you mange to get good grades. I need to get a BBBCC to an AAA somehow.

Also teachers give you the predicted grades if they think you will be able to achieve it, so a person who got a C and predicted A must of messed up big time in the exam otherwise i doubt they would be predicted an A
lulz-kay
Rep:
?
How big of a difference are we talking in terms of AS's and Predicted grades? My AS's were ABC the B was 2 marks of an A and the C 3 marks off a B so I am being predicted AAB - I'm applying to one which asks for AAB, one which asks for ABB, and one which asks for 260 Points.. So should my other 2 choices be one high one low or?
lulz-kay
Rep:
?
It's okay It's benefiting me as well
lulz-kay
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=xmarilynx]The universities you apply to and the grades they require compared to your predicted grades are up to you, there isn't a set rule. However, you may want to check out the How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections Article.

If your A Level grades exceed the offer the university makes you then you are entitled to use Adjustment.

I read about the adjustment but I really don't understand it?:eek3:
n_251
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Usually you should pick one above what you are predicted to achieve, 2/3 around what you are likely to achieve and 1/2 below what you are predicted...however, it is quite plausible you are predicted A(*)AA, therefore you may just pick 3/4 unis at A(*)AA and one at AAB.
AndersonsBentFoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How big of a difference are we talking in terms of AS's and Predicted grades? My AS's were ABC the B was 2 marks of an A and the C 3 marks off a B so I am being predicted AAB - I'm applying to one which asks for AAB, one which asks for ABB, and one which asks for 260 Points.. So should my other 2 choices be one high one low or?
What subject do you want to study at uni? You could apply to an AAA course if you had a solid PS but depends on the subject. E.g if you want to study economics it wouldn't be wise to apply to an AAA uni since the course will be very competitive. I think you shuould apply to 2 AAB uni's, one/2 ABB and 1/2 BBB depending on how confident you are on achieving your predicted grades.
KillerChic
Report 9 years ago
have a mixture, I had a high ranking one - just to see and a few lower ones - I know I would get into if I left with my AS grades. But when chosing your second choice, go for one you like to avoid dissapointment if you don't get your first choice.
beatleboar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They will take into account your predictions. They won't care if your are apart of the gifted and talented youth. We are all worried.

Will Durham accept me? Who knows?
saminator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AndersonsBentFoot)
I am more or less in the same situation. I didnt manage to convert my good GCSE's to AS and now i have a huge amount of work to do. My advice is if you think you are capable of getting 3 A's of whatever it is you want then you do it. If you manage to get the grades then take a gap year and apply next year. I dont think Cambridge or any top uni will give you an offer with BBCE unless you're grades arent cashed-in in which case you can put them all as pending. If you got your heart set on a top ujni you may have to take a gap year if you mange to get good grades. I need to get a BBBCC to an AAA somehow.

Also teachers give you the predicted grades if they think you will be able to achieve it, so a person who got a C and predicted A must of messed up big time in the exam otherwise i doubt they would be predicted an A
Thanks for your reply, I don't really understand all the ins and outs of whether you have to or don't have to put your As grades on the ucas forms, if I don't then cool as my maths was 3 marks off an A, Further maths was only a few marks off a B and history is being remarked as I got an A on one paper and an E on the other, but it might take longer to come back than the time I want my ucas application in. So am doing resits in some subjects and hoping to up my grades. If I apply this year but then my results don't come in, or I don't get offers will it harm my application next year after taking a gap year? thanks
saminator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's okay It's benefiting me as well
thanks lulz, your thread is answering some of my questions too!:yes:
AndersonsBentFoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for your reply, I don't really understand all the ins and outs of whether you have to or don't have to put your As grades on the ucas forms, if I don't then cool as my maths was 3 marks off an A, Further maths was only a few marks off a B and history is being remarked as I got an A on one paper and an E on the other, but it might take longer to come back than the time I want my ucas application in. So am doing resits in some subjects and hoping to up my grades. If I apply this year but then my results don't come in, or I don't get offers will it harm my application next year after taking a gap year? thanks
Well, you should ask your teachers whether your grades are cashed in, alternatively if you have a grade on your statement of results i think that means your grades are cashed in not too sure though. Whatever happens this year, it shouldnt have much effects on your application next year. If you're confident you can get the grades you want then focus on your studies. Do you want to study Maths at uni? If so what uni's are you aiming for?
saminator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AndersonsBentFoot)
Well, you should ask your teachers whether your grades are cashed in, alternatively if you have a grade on your statement of results i think that means your grades are cashed in not too sure though. Whatever happens this year, it shouldnt have much effects on your application next year. If you're confident you can get the grades you want then focus on your studies. Do you want to study Maths at uni? If so what uni's are you aiming for?
No to be quite honest I am sick of maths! I am only doing it because it sort of comes easy to me and my maths teachers talked me into it as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I am doing 2 more As levels to go in a completely different direction now!
thanks for your advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads