Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Should we start looking now to get the best ones? And where is the best place to look, any good websites? Also, where is the best area? I think i wanna live in Broomhill or are there better areas!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    IMO Best area is Crookesmoor road and the other ones around it (i.e. school lane, barber road). (near the Cobden view, Springvale, Hadfield, Hallamshire house and closed shop pubs).

Broomhill is good, but when all the freshers invade next year you will be glad of a pub to go to which isn't heaving, also its good to know other areas, Broomhill can get boring after a while.

The best places don't go first, there is more than enough housing for all (in fact if you wait till right at the end you can get some amazing places for a bit cheaper), I would advise you to wait till at least Christmas, unless you know for sure who you want to live with (are you sure you're sure), also, no point paying the deposit earlier than you have to. Once you agree, that's it, you're in a contract, can't get out of it, so there is no need to rush into it.

When ever I have looked for a house I've just gone to the property places around Broomhill or maybe that property place in the union, but I've never seen anything good in there, but tbh, most student houses are exactly the same, so work out who you want to live with and the area you want to live in and importantly how much you want to pay then all go in to some estate agents and find some places to look around.

ReputationRep:
    As above, the best area is definitely Crookesmoor (Crookesmoor Road, Harcourt Road, School Road), followed by Crookes and Broomhill.

Don't be pressured into signing for houses too early. There are more than enough houses to go around, and even really good ones will still be available next year. We signed our house (4 bedrooms) on Crookesmoor Road in April...

The most important thing is who you live with, not where you live. If you rush into signing a contract with people you've only known for a little more than a month, you might regret it next year when you have to live with them. The fact that you have a great house will provide little comfort if they turn out to be awful housemates.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise don't be tempted by the cheapness and the closeness of Broomhall...it's not worth it.

When I lived with two people who both needed their cars in Sheffield we signed early (October I think) to make sure we got somewhere with 2 parking places that wasn't miles away. Other than that, as other have said, try to hold off signing too early.

ReputationRep:
    I also back the fact broomhall isnt worth it, not because of all the shooting hype (thats not likely to affect students as ita gang on gang) but because everyone else will be living in crookesmoor/crookes so you will have to walk for ages to visit.

Crookesmoor, Crookes and Broomhill are the best places to look. Anywhere thats not far to walk!
    Have a real hunt around, you will see alot of naff properties and alot with are rip offs. Agencies like Thornsett and Home tend to try and pressure you into signing by telling you everything is going to get snapped up in a hurry when thats not really the case.

If you are intending to live with 6+ people look as early as you can (oct onwards) as the larger houses do go much quicker as there is less choice.

ReputationRep:
    I like Broomhill but like has been said the freshers can blag a little bit. We had some idiots ringing our doorbell at 3am the other day (should have seen their faces when they got chased away though).

I've always liked Crookesmoor, nearly lived there for this year. Crookes for me is a bit too uphill though I guess Crookesmoor is aswell. I know a few who live on Eccleshall Road or close by that's not a bad place to live either.

ReputationRep:
    My 2nd and 3rd year I lived in Crookes.

Yes it's uphill, keeps you fit - but the 52 (as it was then - is it still now?) was really useful if you didn't fancy it! :yes:

Two pubs up there that were good laugh with the locals were the Punchbowl and The Ball.

Crosspool Tavern not far away, great for Carvery Lunch in the week at £3.50. Fill your plate!

ReputationRep:
    Most things will be gone by about January. Make sure you look around. Agree with the above poster that the Punchbowl is good. Crookes / Crookesmoor and Broomhill are good places to live - even into Walkley if you don't mind being a little further out. It's also cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Most things will be gone by about January. Make sure you look around. Agree with the above poster that the Punchbowl is good. Crookes / Crookesmoor and Broomhill are good places to live - even into Walkley if you don't mind being a little further out. It's also cheaper.
    That is complete crap, unless you are very specific there are still loads of houses by april/may time.

Most houses are for 5 or 6 people, its worth getting into a group of that size to make it easier for yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostRiot)
    That is complete crap, unless you are very specific there are still loads of houses by april/may time.

Most houses are for 5 or 6 people, its worth getting into a group of that size to make it easier for yourselves.
    There are what it is pretty charitable to even describe as 'houses', the £50-55 odd things with 5 people to a bathroom, dodgy plumbing and even dodgier landlords. The good properties at about £60-65 go quickly. I signed my current contract in 2008 and we had to look through a good 7 or 8 overpriced utter ********* before we actually found something relatively nice - and even this is far from perfect. Sure, you can get something at any time of year, but the quality becomes severely limited

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in crookes twice and on the edge of crookesmoore/upperthorpe/walkley for a year. I prefer crookes but it was very handy being a 10 min walk from tesco, and nearer to the uni too walking through ponderosa park.
    I live near the ball now. Been to it a couple of times but its very loud & busy on shef wednesday match days. The ball used to be inbetween mine & my boyfriend's houses a couple of years ago but we never went. I was a bit put off because it looked a bit rough and i got shouted at a couple of times from the people smoking outside (nothing really bad just 'alright love' & such). Probably been to the grindstone most, or down the hill to the closed shop.

I've always found the housing finder http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/housingfi...ts/search.html (click the muse link & login) to be the easiest way of finding a house. Agencies like thornsett tend to be more expensive and put more pressure on you for a quick decision. According to the page it opens on the 9th november. You could always start wandering round sheffield and seeing where would be nice to live before then though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subterfuge)
    I've lived in crookes twice and on the edge of crookesmoore/upperthorpe/walkley for a year. I prefer crookes but it was very handy being a 10 min walk from tesco, and nearer to the uni too walking through ponderosa park.
    I live near the ball now. Been to it a couple of times but its very loud & busy on shef wednesday match days. The ball used to be inbetween mine & my boyfriend's houses a couple of years ago but we never went. I was a bit put off because it looked a bit rough and i got shouted at a couple of times from the people smoking outside (nothing really bad just 'alright love' & such). Probably been to the grindstone most, or down the hill to the closed shop.
    The Closed Shop is great for a quiet drink! The Springvale has reopened now, too, and has some nice ales on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 17, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.