Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just starting a Biomed degree as a top-up but as far as I can see they're not giving me an option to do the placement... I'm thinking I'll be in just the same position as I am now in a years time when I graduate. I have no experience in a lab. I'm trying now, paid, work experience, voluntary, anything but with no luck. Just like everyone else.

I don't know much about it yet, but does anyone know if you can just ask to get a placement? I presume not but thought I'd pick other peoples brains.

ReputationRep:
    What do mean by top up? you've done a bms course which wasnt accredited or?

Keep asking everywhere, ring and ask for tours, one or multiple placements. My lab didnt mind people coming for a tour, but there wasnt the option for work experience, due to the time to train people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    What do mean by top up? you've done a bms course which wasnt accredited or?

Keep asking everywhere, ring and ask for tours, one or multiple placements. My lab didnt mind people coming for a tour, but there wasnt the option for work experience, due to the time to train people.
    By top-up I mean I've done another Life Science degree and I'm using what I've done in that one to get a Biomed degree by doing the remaining 3 modules. Yeah I'm trying everywhere I can think of for work experience, but usually either it's a straight no or they just don't get back to me. Anyone know if you can ask at hospital labs..? I kind of assumed they'd be controlled about who they let into NHS labs.

ReputationRep:
    when i did my placement year i did work in an nhs lab, and we only had people come for a tour to see what it was like. St peters in surrey do a thing where you can shadow a bms for a week.

The worst they can say is no.

If you want to work as a bms in an NHS lab, then you will be given the training and helped to complete the portfolio of competence once you have a job, so work experience isn't essential, i certainly didnt have it to start my course, and my friends just done a straight bms course and shes into a job straight away (2.2)

Labs do understand due to the nature of their work there isnt the opportunity for placements and work experiance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    when i did my placement year i did work in an nhs lab, and we only had people come for a tour to see what it was like. St peters in surrey do a thing where you can shadow a bms for a week.

The worst they can say is no.

If you want to work as a bms in an NHS lab, then you will be given the training and helped to complete the portfolio of competence once you have a job, so work experience isn't essential, i certainly didnt have it to start my course, and my friends just done a straight bms course and shes into a job straight away (2.2)

Labs do understand due to the nature of their work there isnt the opportunity for placements and work experiance
    Oh good! It's just I've seen on the normal 4 year degree course they have a 15 week (?) placement in 3rd year. I will have the degree but won't be doing that placement. It's the getting the trainee job in the first place I'm worrying about if I've never stepped inside a lab before... But I'll just keep trying, it's not a problem yet anyway, I'm just thinking ahead. But that sounds good

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 16, 2009

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.