The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Oxford rather than York, as an Oxford degree will always have great prestige worldwide and also it's where PPE was invented. What makes you think York might be better?
Reply 2
I don't think the fact the course originated at Oxford comes into the equation.

Well, if you look at York's teaching and research ratings for these subjects they are far higher. In fact, York has 24/24 for politics, philiosophy, and econs.
Reply 3
Seer
I don't think the fact the course originated at Oxford comes into the equation.

Well, if you look at York's teaching and research ratings for these subjects they are far higher. In fact, York has 24/24 for politics, philiosophy, and econs.

Often oldest = best, most respected etc. (not always true though I know...)

An Oxford PPE degree will still be more prestigious and thus better for employment prospects than a York one. I'm not saying that's necessarily right, but that's pretty much a fact I'm afraid.
Reply 4
Alexander
Often oldest = best, most respected etc. (not always true though I know...)

An Oxford PPE degree will still be more prestigious and thus better for employment prospects than a York one. I'm not saying that's necessarily right, but that's pretty much a fact I'm afraid.

Hmm...although when people compare, they're often not making the correct comparison, as any good economist will tell you! To really establish the 'value' of an Oxford degree what you must do (and what's often NOT done) is compare like with like....

Thus, Incorrect (although most common) comparison:

Oxford Grad, 10* A's at GCSE, 4A's at A level V 'Other' 3/4A`s at GCSE BBCC at A level, for e.g.

What you must do is compare people with the SAME pre-university grades, only then is it fair. I think you'll find that someone with 10* A's at GCSE and 4 A`s at A level (for e.g.) is likely to do just as well elsewhere, aside from Oxbridge. The difference (if there is indeed any difference) is likely to be very very slight, negligible.

When people 'criticise' the system, they're doing so out of ignroance. It confuses cause and effect; it's not beacuse people attend the best universities that they do well, it's because the best people attend the best universities rather.
I think you'll find in the end that it comes down to what you want. Would you rather go to York, or to Oxford. Only after going to open days etc can you decide this. If you come out with a first class degree from either uni, you're going to be employable, but if you have two graduates, each with firsts from those two respective universities the interviewer is going to decide on your personality; and this is what life comes down to in the end. Not what your "score" is; but how well you can interact with people.

Only the very very talented can get away with poor interpersonal skills. :smile:
Reply 6
dazmanultra
I think you'll find in the end that it comes down to what you want. Would you rather go to York, or to Oxford. Only after going to open days etc can you decide this. If you come out with a first class degree from either uni, you're going to be employable, but if you have two graduates, each with firsts from those two respective universities the interviewer is going to decide on your personality; and this is what life comes down to in the end. Not what your "score" is; but how well you can interact with people.

Only the very very talented can get away with poor interpersonal skills. :smile:

Very true, a VERY minute percentage can get away with it. Although, defintely a greater proportion in academia!

Latest

Trending

Trending