Turn on thread page Beta

Ok, so my friend has just been diagnosed as being bipolar which took a while to get a diagnosis. However for ages we thought she was suffering depression of some sort. It was obvious to us and to a lot of other people.

She really trusted one of our teachers (our psychology teacher) And i think she would have told her what was bothering her etc if she had the confidence to. She did used to talk to the teacher quite a lot though. Now one day my friend got called by another member of the department who didnt know her at all and had obviously heard this from her teacher (another psych teacher) That she was the "attention seeker" This made my friend very embarassed but also really really upset. She wasnt atention seeking but more building up the courage to ask for help. She attempted suicide a few weeks later but it didnt work. And now it turns out its bipolar.

Now am i stupid for being shocked about the way the teacher acted and behaved to someone who was clearly depressed? I'm genuinely shocked to the point of maybe even complaining although im sure my friend would be embarassed if i did complain about it and i wouldnt do it if she was completly against it. I realise teachers are busy, but it was obvious to other teachers who would ask if things were ok etc. It makes me genuinley upset :o:

Its probably none of my business to interfer but my friend is too shy to complain herself.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should complain about it, i'd really be angry at that myself.

ReputationRep:
    Thats wrong, I'd have your friend make a complaint.

My friends got bipolar disorder, and he gets a reserved parking space in college because of it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't complain, teachers have to put up with so much **** in regards to dealing with students making up lies to compensate for lack of attention at home etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FelicityEllen)
    My friends got bipolar disorder, and he gets a reserved parking space in college because of it.
    Forgive me if I'm being insensitve but - why does he need a parking space?!

ReputationRep:
    Teachers are in a positions of trust and I think the teacher your friend was speaking to really abused that trust. When I was struggling with my exams in yr13, I had a couple of great teachers that let me talk to them without ever making me feel I was a burden, or attention-seeking. I think it's awful that your friend was gradually able to build up the courage to talk to someone, and felt they were listening and was then shot down by someone else and made to feel stupid.

Your friend is obviously going through a tough time and I don't think it would be interfereing if perhaps you raised with another trusted teacher, how little support she received from this particular member of staff, when she needed it.

ReputationRep:
    I thoroughly dislike that.

ReputationRep:
    That teacher was told it in confidence so yes you should really complain. Plus it wasn't the other teachers place to make comments on your friends issues.

ReputationRep:
    Who called her the attention seeker, your psych teacher or the other member of the department?

Regardless, if your friend went to her psych teacher with an issue that could or was effecting her wellbeing and mental health then she is legally obliged to pass that information on. She is bound by the law to do so, so in relation to passing the info to the other member of the department, that is a non-issue.

Whilst it was unprofessional to label your friend an attention seeker, I must say that I do feel for teachers. They get so many kids making up lies, attention seeking, and hanging on their heels that it can make their job far more difficult than it should be. They are trained as teachers, not doctors or diagnosticians and sometimes it can be hard to filter out the lies and the attention seeking in some kids from genuine problems in others. Having said that, the child should always be given the benefit of the doubt and it was wrong to make your friend feel embaressed, ashamed or upset about her situation.

You can make a complaint if you feel it is appropriate to do so, but unless it came from the girl herself or her parent/guardian it isnt likely much would be done. If you really have an issue, and its an option for you raise the matter with this girls parents, and see if you can get them to write a letter of complaint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok, so my friend has just been diagnosed as being bipolar which took a while to get a diagnosis. However for ages we thought she was suffering depression of some sort. It was obvious to us and to a lot of other people.

She really trusted one of our teachers (our psychology teacher) And i think she would have told her what was bothering her etc if she had the confidence to. She did used to talk to the teacher quite a lot though. Now one day my friend got called by another member of the department who didnt know her at all and had obviously heard this from her teacher (another psych teacher) That she was the "attention seeker" This made my friend very embarassed but also really really upset. She wasnt atention seeking but more building up the courage to ask for help. She attempted suicide a few weeks later but it didnt work. And now it turns out its bipolar.

Now am i stupid for being shocked about the way the teacher acted and behaved to someone who was clearly depressed? I'm genuinely shocked to the point of maybe even complaining although im sure my friend would be embarassed if i did complain about it and i wouldnt do it if she was completly against it. I realise teachers are busy, but it was obvious to other teachers who would ask if things were ok etc. It makes me genuinley upset :o:

Its probably none of my business to interfer but my friend is too shy to complain herself.

That is really shocking to hear. I feel for your friend, it's nice to hear that she has got you for a great friend because she need it. I remember some of my lecturers having a problem with me being ill and missing my classes and was very judgemental about it until I was diagnosed with a medical problem and explained the problem, and now they seem very supportive.

I think you need to speak to your friend and get her to talk to the head of dept about this issue and her bipolar so that they know and she would feel more supported and not have everyone one think that she is a 'attention seeker' which is far from it.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:

Is that it? I'm sorry, i'm not an insensitive person, but i completely fail to understand your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuppenny)
    Forgive me if I'm being insensitve but - why does he need a parking space?!
    I have no clue.

He got a letter saying he could have a parking space, and I quote 'due to the catholic ethos of our college'

I dunno really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame the teacher if i am honest. How many "depressed" teenagers does she have to put up day in day out? Most of them are attention seeking. I cant tell by the first person if the teacher said this to the girl in questions face or just to another colleague as it is so badly written but if it was to her face i would be a little concerned.

ReputationRep:
    I have no clue.

He got a letter saying he could have a parking space, and I quote 'due to the catholic ethos of our college'

I dunno really.
    What a bunch of BS, he's sad not an amputee.

It's sad but true but a lot of people with Bi-polar are attention seekers whether or not they mean it or not.

They are incredibly self-absorbed and think little of the feelings and thoughts of their friends and loved ones.

I have been there - one of my close friends at uni told me she got diagnosed with the disorder half way through the year and it explained a lot. She often ignored phone calls/refused to see certain people for days. It was one of the most crushing times for me as I had no idea why she was behaving in this way.

In the end I found my relationship with her too draining and decided to move on. It's too much of an emotional cost if the affected randomly cuts off contact with you for days or even weeks and then suddenly goes back to 'normal' not even referencing how they have ignored you for ages. It's awful - truly emotionally crushing.

Sorry i realise its poorly written, i cant edit it though :o:

Basically the head of the psychology department said to my friend that she was an attention seeker. The head of department isnt my friends teacher though and has never even spoken to my friend before this. So her teacher must have said it to the head of department who then saw my friend and felt the need to call her an attention seeker

ReputationRep:
    Complain. You probably won't get more than a letter of apology. Oh and the other post - a reserved parking space for someone with bi-polar, that is utterly ridicuolous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    What a bunch of BS, he's sad not an amputee.
    I know it is total BS. He doesnt really deserve a space at all. But that being said, it gets him to college each day, where before he wasn't showing up because he wouldn't use public transport.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Sorry i realise its poorly written, i cant edit it though :o:

Basically the head of the psychology department said to my friend that she was an attention seeker. The head of department isnt my friends teacher though and has never even spoken to my friend before this. So her teacher must have said it to the head of department who then saw my friend and felt the need to call her an attention seeker
    Could've been any other teacher.

ReputationRep:
    I'd complain. You'd think if they're teachers of psychology that they'd understand.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.