The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anonymous
Sorry i realise its poorly written, i cant edit it though :o:

Basically the head of the psychology department said to my friend that she was an attention seeker. The head of department isnt my friends teacher though and has never even spoken to my friend before this. So her teacher must have said it to the head of department who then saw my friend and felt the need to call her an attention seeker

Did the head of year ask to see the girl? Or did she say it whilst passing her in the corridor. Also you have to remember that this is all taken out of context. We don't know what the conversation was about or what led to the accusation :dontknow:
Reply 21
FelicityEllen
I know it is total BS. He doesnt really deserve a space at all. But that being said, it gets him to college each day, where before he wasn't showing up because he wouldn't use public transport.

Since when did being Bi-polar mean you don't use the bus? What an ass-hat.
Reply 22
hannah_dru
I'd complain. You'd think if they're teachers of psychology that they'd understand.

Why? They're not therapists or Drs.
Reply 23
generalebriety
Could've been any other teacher.

No it was her teacher. Because of the way the teacher had been afterwards towards her
Why are you getting yourself involved? If your friend wants to complain she can complain, it's certainly not your place to complain. Besides, it's barely an issue, you can't expect your teacher to realise that your friend was suffering from depression, and she must have been doing something to warrant being addressed about her behaviour.
Reply 25
Trigger
Did the head of year ask to see the girl? Or did she say it whilst passing her in the corridor. Also you have to remember that this is all taken out of context. We don't know what the conversation was about or what led to the accusation :dontknow:

My friend went to hand in coursework to the department office, the head of department was the one in the room so she left it with her and then the head of department saw my friends name and said it
Reply 26
Anonymous
My friend went to hand in coursework to the department office, the head of department was the one in the room so she left it with her and then the head of department saw my friends name and said it

So she handed in the coursework, the teacher saw the naem, looked up and said "you are an attention seeker"?
Reply 27
missygeorgia
Why are you getting yourself involved? If your friend wants to complain she can complain, it's certainly not your place to complain. Besides, it's barely an issue, you can't expect your teacher to realise that your friend was suffering from depression, and she must have been doing something to warrant being addressed about her behaviour.

Because my friend is way too shy to complain even if she wanted to. She used to apologise for talking to her teacher after lessons or w/e and isnt the attention seeking type at all, the complete opposite in fact. She hates attention. :dontknow:
Anonymous
No it was her teacher. Because of the way the teacher had been afterwards towards her

Sounds to me like you're not telling us a large part of this story. Anyway, there's no sense in complaining just yet - complaining should be a last resort. Get your friend to tell this teacher who called her an attention seeker that she's bipolar, and if she still reacts badly, then complain; for all you know, it could just be very crossed wires.
Reply 29
Trigger
So she handed in the coursework, the teacher saw the naem, looked up and said "you are an attention seeker"?

Yup. It was more "so you're the attention seeker then" though
Reply 30
Anonymous
Yup. It was more "so you're the attention seeker then" though

Hmmm well like Gen says, it may be crossed wires :dontknow:
Reply 31
Actually there's some sort of rule which states that a teacher isn't allowed to keep anything a pupil tells them in confidence secret because it might need immediate action - and if she tried to commit suicide, then it points that way. However, their meant to inform the proper authorities.

Why would a teacher go out of her way to call a pupil at home whom they don't even know to tell her she's attention seeking?
Anonymous
Ok, so my friend has just been diagnosed as being bipolar which took a while to get a diagnosis. However for ages we thought she was suffering depression of some sort. It was obvious to us and to a lot of other people.

She really trusted one of our teachers (our psychology teacher) And i think she would have told her what was bothering her etc if she had the confidence to. She did used to talk to the teacher quite a lot though. Now one day my friend got called by another member of the department who didnt know her at all and had obviously heard this from her teacher (another psych teacher) That she was the "attention seeker" This made my friend very embarassed but also really really upset. She wasnt atention seeking but more building up the courage to ask for help. She attempted suicide a few weeks later but it didnt work. And now it turns out its bipolar.

Now am i stupid for being shocked about the way the teacher acted and behaved to someone who was clearly depressed? I'm genuinely shocked to the point of maybe even complaining although im sure my friend would be embarassed if i did complain about it and i wouldnt do it if she was completly against it. I realise teachers are busy, but it was obvious to other teachers who would ask if things were ok etc. It makes me genuinley upset :o:

Its probably none of my business to interfer but my friend is too shy to complain herself.

Unfortunately, this isn't a one off case. I had severe depression for two years at high school and did the same as your friend, I asked for help. This teacher then emailed all my friends and teachers telling them to ignore me because I was attention seeking. I was gutted. It still affects me now, how can I ever tell people how I feel when this first person betrayed me like that?!

Going back to the point in hand, whether you complain or not is perhaps irrelevant as not much will be done unless your friend herself complains, but please, support your friend, encourage her that you do not believe this and just be there for her through this, it really will mean the world to her even if she doesn't always show it
Reply 33
Trigger
What a bunch of BS, he's sad not an amputee.

You ever had bi-polar or any other mental condition?
Reply 34
Rucklo

Yes i have, from '07 to '09, i've got it under control now. Why do you ask?
Rucklo

Judging by their post I'd day they have some sort of mental condition.
Reply 36
somethingbeautiful
Judging by their post I'd day they have some sort of mental condition.

:congrats: so essentially you're taking the piss too. Kudos to you. Kudos.
Reply 37
Trigger
Yes i have, from '07 to '09, i've got it under control now. Why do you ask?

Well I have it too.

You seem to think because you had x symptoms that everyone has had the same experience as you? There are a wide variety of way's it can affect you and you seeming to judge everyone by how it affected you seem's a rather silly idea if i'm honest.

While I think him getting a car park space is silly, I get EXTREMELY paranoid on bus' from mine, I have got off buses before and walked because of this and have had sweat dripping off me. Maybe he has a worse case of that than me and so therefore won't get on?
Trigger
:congrats: so essentially you're taking the piss too. Kudos to you. Kudos.

:angel:

But honestly, you can hardly expect to come out with such a bold statement and not expect backlash?
Reply 39
Rucklo
Well I have it too.

You seem to think because you had x symptoms that everyone has had the same experience as you? There are a wide variety of way's it can affect you and you seeming to judge everyone by how it affected you seem's a rather silly idea if i'm honest.

While I think him getting a car park space is silly, I get EXTREMELY paranoid on bus' from mine, I have got off buses before and walked because of this and have had sweat dripping off me. Maybe he has a worse case of that than me and so therefore won't get on?

Um what? Where did i say that? I was merely shocked that a college would hand out parking spaces to people with depression :dontknow: It is AMAZING how some people with these disorders are able to jump down the throat of anyone making a light joke (hes just sad, obviously this is not the case) in a thread on the internet. I am not going to sit here and play mental health top trumps but getting so defensive just gets my back up and the whole thing escalates.

Latest

Trending

Trending