Turn on thread page Beta

You never get more than one lecture a day.......right? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    please please please tell me i'm right

ReputationRep:
    You only get one lecture a week.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get that from? You could have any number of lectures a day. It all depends on the university and department's time table.

ReputationRep:
    Err, maybe not lectures, but I get about 3 hours of contact time a day.

ReputationRep:
    I have two or three a day, although i only have 3 days a week, some of my friends doing english lit or history only have one a day, it depends on what subject you take, the less lectures you have the more independent learning you are expected to do.

ReputationRep:
    I wish.

I've got two lectures and two tutorials tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    On a Tuesday I have six hours of lectures/tutorials

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Where did you get that from? You could have any number of lectures a day. It all depends on the university and department's time table.
    oh right,

i never really knew that, i've had the idea of only 1 lecture a day for about 3 or 4 days a week for a generic undergraduate course so maybe i'm wrong...

I was at City's talk on their journalism course yesterday and they said students may work up to 8 hours a day

ReputationRep:
    I have six hours a week so basically a lecture a day apart from 2 on mondays.

ReputationRep:
    I usually have one lecture a day and a few lectures in each week.. each lecture is usually followed by a Seminar.

ReputationRep:
    You live in dream world!

ReputationRep:
    Ranges from 3 to 6 a day.

ReputationRep:
    Twenty hours a week is normal for a science, twenty five for engineering. One hour a day is typical for some arts courses, like history or philosophy, but you will have tutorials on top of that.

ReputationRep:
    Its different everywere! Last year I had 3 2 hour lectures on one day. This year ive 2 lectures on one day.
    Varies everywere as they need to fit it all in the staff and room avalbility etc
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    I had around 10-20 per week, that's not including labs/tutorials.
    Chemistry degrees have too much contact time :mob:

(Original post by Xenopus)
    Twenty hours a week is normal for a science, twenty five for engineering. One hour a day is typical for some arts courses, like history or philosophy, but you will have tutorials on top of that.
    Why more for engineering? Atm I'm on about 30 hours of contact time per week...

ReputationRep:
    I have four tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I have up to seven lectures on some days, and that doesn't count labs and supervisions :nooo:
    On the other hand I get the weekends off and only 2 on Monday, so get to unwind over the long weekend :woo:

For week 3 (my busiest) I have 23 hours of lectures + 8 hours labs + 2 hours supervisions. Then I have open structure labs schedule for all free remaining hours 9 - 5:15 every day :eeek: for the project work and then actual work to do on top
    1 lecture a day is living in dream world :p:

Humanities and social sciences maybe, but science undergrads spend a lot more time being taught (thought maybe in labs or similar rather than lectures). Even for that first group, the expectation is you're still working even though you're not always in lectures.

ReputationRep:
    I actually never have more than two lectures a day, no more than three hours contact time on any one day. But then, we're just expected to do reading instead

ReputationRep:
    I have seven hours of lectures every Friday. You can't tell me that's fair. :p:

To be honest, it'll mostly depend upon what course you're doing and where you're studying. For example, courses which exhibit a mainly problem-solving aspect will inevitably demand more lecture/contact time than others which primarily revolve around remembering key facts. The latter courses will simply expect you to use this 'extra' time in reading & getting to grips with the course material. :yep:

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.