Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    Is it a cult? What do you think? Apparently it is some huge religion type thing which many celebrities are a part of (John Travolta, Tom Cruise, Eddy Murphy, Steve Martin, Nicole Kidman), etc.

Post your thoughts on it, info, etc. It's also supposed to be very secret so it is hard to find out about.
    Is it the same as being a Christian Scientist? Cos my friend and her family are Christian Scientists, and they're perfectly normal. Basically they can't take any kind of medicine, not even painkillers and not even if they're dying, and they're not supposed to smoke or drink alcohol. It also means they're not supposed to be immunised against diseases, so she couldn't have her BCG, which i thought was really selfish of her. I mean, what if we all felt like that?!

(Original post by serendipity)
    Is it the same as being a Christian Scientist? Cos my friend and her family are Christian Scientists, and they're perfectly normal. Basically they can't take any kind of medicine, not even painkillers and not even if they're dying, and they're not supposed to smoke or drink alcohol. It also means they're not supposed to be immunised against diseases, so she couldn't have her BCG, which i thought was really selfish of her. I mean, what if we all felt like that?!
    scientology i think believes in the healing power of crystals
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    scientology i think believes in the healing power of crystals
    J
    that hardly has anything to do with what they are

ReputationRep:
    They are a very secretive group, though.
    seem to keep themselves to themselves, appart from when trying to recruit people into their church.
    costs a lot of money to join and advance to higher levels, so is mainly celebs (there is a church of scientology in hollywood!)

xxx

(Original post by lilmissnaughty)
    (there is a church of scientology in hollywood!)

xxx
    Yes, I've seen it. It's quite an impressive building.

(Original post by caz)
    that hardly has anything to do with what they are
    serendipity seemd to think they were Christian scientists. I pointed out that they were people who believed in the healing power of crystals. Is that too much information for you?
    J

ReputationRep:
    serendipity seemd to think they were Christian scientists. I pointed out that they were people who believed in the healing power of crystals. Is that too much information for you?
    J
    Well, as Caz said, Scientology has absolutely nothing to do with healing crystals.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, Scientology is a New Religious Movement. A cult is a more loosely knit group of people who share common interests (like Trekkies).

(Original post by Mr White)
    Well, as Caz said, Scientology has absolutely nothing to do with healing crystals.
    No, he didn't say that, and even if he did, scientologists 'believe in the healing power of the crystal pendulum'. Fact
    J

ReputationRep:
    No, he didn't say that, and even if he did, scientologists 'believe in the healing power of the crystal pendulum'. Fact
    J
    why r u so afraid of being wrong

(Original post by caz)
    In my given career being wrong could mean someone dying. But point is that I'm not wrong. I said a statement, it's really not that hard to understand. The 'religion' of scientology believes in the healing power of crystals. It's one of those facts that sticks out in the memory, associated with the word kook.
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    Is it a cult? What do you think? Apparently it is some huge religion type thing which many celebrities are a part of (John Travolta, Tom Cruise, Eddy Murphy, Steve Martin, Nicole Kidman), etc.

Post your thoughts on it, info, etc. It's also supposed to be very secret so it is hard to find out about.
    In some countries it is technically forbidden because their properties have reached astronomic levels. The system works apparently... I think the celebs are mainly there for popularity purposes, dont know what they get in exchange...

I only know that one friend of mine got into their network (by his parents), was locked up in a boarding school in Kopenhagen and brainwashed until I would not recognise him, mentally. He married (in the age of 19!) another scientology member and is becoming one of their overlords (he believes).
    That is no joke, it is actually too sad to be true. I hate them with a passion as you can imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)

He was pointing out, quite correctly, to Serendipity that Christian Scientists and Scientologists are not the same thing in response to her question.
    Why are you so argumentative?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.