Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just say that the Shah should be restored.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Justify your opinion of restoring the shah please (including whether incidents like the article shown happened frequently, as did after the revolution)

ReputationRep:
    Back before the Shah was deposed, my family used to take their vacations on the shores of the Caspian Sea. My parents, and aunt and uncle have beautiful pictures of Iran before the revolution. They told me stories about what a progressive land it was, and had videos. The place was gorgeous. Tehran looked like a giant palace. Women weren't covered in chadors. Instead they wore beautiful costumes, the kind that looked like they were from the Safavid court. People had the freedom to dress, and live the way they wished. Can you imagine girls in Beehives and miniskirts in Iran? Then came the revolution, and they took away to soul of Iran. They left it a bleak and barren place, no different from Taliban ruled Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvincitus)
    I say the country should be put under British administration with me as Imperial Governor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I say the country should be put under British administration with me as Imperial Governor.
    By virtue of some interesting geneology, I claim to be the pre-Sassanid Emperor of Persia!!!

ReputationRep:
    The Shah also denied Democracy as well as torturing and murdering political oponents.

Then came the revolution, and they took away to soul of Iran. They left it a bleak and barren place, no different from Taliban ruled Afghanistan.
    Well, it's not quite that bad

ReputationRep:
    Back before the Shah was deposed, my family used to take their vacations on the shores of the Caspian Sea. My parents, and aunt and uncle have beautiful pictures of Iran before the revolution. They told me stories about what a progressive land it was, and had videos. The place was gorgeous. Tehran looked like a giant palace. Women weren't covered in chadors. Instead they wore beautiful costumes, the kind that looked like they were from the Safavid court. People had the freedom to dress, and live the way they wished. Can you imagine girls in Beehives and miniskirts in Iran? Then came the revolution, and they took away to soul of Iran. They left it a bleak and barren place, no different from Taliban ruled Afghanistan.
    The last Shah was more than slightly incompetent, hence he was deposed twice. It was a free and beautiful country, but the poor were getting poorer and the reforms being brought in weren't helping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    The last Shah was more than slightly incompetent, hence he was deposed twice. It was a free and beautiful country, but the poor were getting poorer and the reforms being brought in weren't helping.
    The Shah was still a thousand times better than the Ayatollah Khomenei. Sure he was brutal on his opponents, but to maintain security and stability against Khomenei and his terrorist ilk, brutal and savage measures had to be taken.

ReputationRep:
    The Shah was still a thousand times better than the Ayatollah Khomenei. Sure he was brutal on his opponents, but to maintain security and stability against Khomenei and his terrorist ilk, brutal and savage measures had to be taken.
    Mossadeq would've been better...

ReputationRep:
    Khomeini was little threat to the regime before a year or two before the revolution. The main thron in the Shah's side were the Mojahedin, many of whom were in prison and couldn't lead any revolution.

Mossadeq would've been better...
    Yes true. Even if the Shah was better than Khomeini he still isn't a good first choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Khomeini was little threat to the regime before a year or two before the revolution. The main thron in the Shah's side were the Mojahedin, many of whom were in prison and couldn't lead any revolution.

Yes true. Even if the Shah was better than Khomeini he still isn't a good first choice!
    Perhaps instead of me wishing for a restoration of the Shah, it would be better to say that I want a restoration of pre-revolutionary Iran. I would like a progressive and secular government, yet one that doesn't copycat the west and encourages Persian culture. Ideally, I would like pre-1979 Iran back.

ReputationRep:
    I would like a progressive and secular government, yet one that doesn't copycat the west and encourages Persian culture.
    I very much agree.. Also a government which respects the cultures of minorities.

ReputationRep:
    And one that is elected in free and fair elections.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps instead of me wishing for a restoration of the Shah, it would be better to say that I want a restoration of pre-revolutionary Iran. I would like a progressive and secular government, yet one that doesn't copycat the west and encourages Persian culture. Ideally, I would like pre-1979 Iran back.
    I agree. I would ideally like the Shah back as a constitutional monarch, but that may not happen. Its got more chance of happening there than in Iraq though. The dynasty of the last Shah from what I understand came to power in a coup in the 1920s, and was no imposed by the Britis like the Iraqi Royal family was. Therefore I suspect that they have a good deal more support in Iran.

ReputationRep:
    By virtue of some interesting geneology, I claim to be the pre-Sassanid Emperor of Persia!!!
    Is that the Parthians that you are talking about or the pre-Alexander the Great Persians? From what I understand, the Parthians were regarded as foreigners. But anyway, I'll lay claim to the Viceroyalty of India. I shall restore the British Raj, on which the sun shall never set!

ReputationRep:
    I shall restore the British Raj, on which the sun shall never set!
    Because God would never trust the British in the dark

The dynasty of the last Shah from what I understand came to power in a coup in the 1920s, and was no imposed by the Britis like the Iraqi Royal family was. Therefore I suspect that they have a good deal more support in Iran.
    The Pahlavi dynasty was imposed by the Brits. The Shah's father was an army officer.

ReputationRep:
    Iran needs a democratic, secular, federal, kind of government "with free and fair elections" as Chrism said, and there should be no supreme power such as Shah or Ayatollah Khamenei so that no single person can decide the policies and future of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Because God would never trust the British in the dark

The Pahlavi dynasty was imposed by the Brits. The Shah's father was an army officer.
    I'll have to look it up, but I'm sure that the Army revolted against the previous dynasty and installed the Pahlavis. In any case, the British didn't invade the country to install them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    Is that the Parthians that you are talking about or the pre-Alexander the Great Persians? From what I understand, the Parthians were regarded as foreigners. But anyway, I'll lay claim to the Viceroyalty of India. I shall restore the British Raj, on which the sun shall never set!
    You can be Viceroy of India... But I want some of the princely states. I would like Kashmir, Mysore, Travancore, Manipur, and perhaps Mewar/Gwalior.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't feel full elections are right. I am sorry to say this, but a democracy is based on the false assumption that everyone in this region is fit to have a say in governance. In all likelihood, a democratic government would only bring to power another backwards and corrupt Islamic Despotate. Hitler was elected and brought into power by free and fair elections, and look at what happened to the world after that. I think that the leading intellectuals and professionals should form a provisional government, preferably under the constitutional leadership of an Emperor, although he may not have to be a Pahlavi.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.