Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I don't really know what to do after my a-levels, the initial idea was to take a GAP year. I thought after doing my a-levels I'd have more of an idea of the job I want to do but after college I'm still none the wiser on what I want to do. I don't want to go to uni as I have disliked school and college, and college has depressed me at times, not to mention being stressful.

Anyone got any ideas on what I could do, I basically want a job that has good prospects and pays well (at least eventually). Also how would I go about getting a job like this?

I'm not scared of hard work and much prefer the work environment and financial rewards, (worked in a shop full time for 10 weeks, part time for 2 years) of working than those of education.

I'm taking Sociology, Geography & ICT.
    Sociology minimum= C, target A
    Geography minimum= C, target A/B
    ICT minimum= D, target C

ReputationRep:
    You could go and check your local Connexions office for job vaccancies, as they deal with jobs for GCSE and/or A-level leavers.

You could do sorts of jobs like IT, admin, engineering, retail, tourism, etc.... However, some of these jobs only need GCSE maths and english at grade C or above along with 5 GCSEs (including maths and english) and some only need GCSE maths and english (with experience maybe). I know some jobs need A-levels, but they only need 2.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're gonna get some good grades. The best thing for you to do is to go down your local careers offices/connexions. They can tell you what routes will be open to you. You could join the army as an engineer maybe, or you could do an apprenticeship in a subject that interests you. I know you said that you're not into Uni degrees but there are some great sandwich courses out there that allow you to work for a year of your course in your chosen career. If you're good then maybe they'll offer you a job at the end of your degree.

You could arrange for work experience in various places etc to see what you think of working there/doing that career. I know it's not the same as actually working there but at least you'd have an idea of what different careers are like.

What are your interests?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I didn't go to uni when I finished my A-Levels, I took a Gap Year in order to take a break from studying, and have been working for a computer company. I did re-apply to ucas in October 2004, and now i'm really looking forward to going in September. The gap year makes a nice change from the studying. If you go for a gap year, i'd recommend applying to ucas again anyway, as you may feel differently about the path you want a few months later. And if you dont, well its only £15 you've spent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneEightSeven)
    Hi there, I didn't go to uni when I finished my A-Levels, I took a Gap Year in order to take a break from studying, and have been working for a computer company. I did re-apply to ucas in October 2004, and now i'm really looking forward to going in September. The gap year makes a nice change from the studying. If you go for a gap year, i'd recommend applying to ucas again anyway, as you may feel differently about the path you want a few months later. And if you dont, well its only £15 you've spent.
    Interesting story you have. I am planning to take a gap year and applied for a deferred entry so I will go to uni in 2006. I'm just wondering what sort of job did you do in the computer company, and what is the salary like?

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks for all your help so far, I guess I will think seriously about where my interests lie.

Guess I could enquire about the whole work experience thing, but I'd feel stupid doing work experience at 18....

I went to connexions last year and they offered me an apprentice technical surveryor which sounded kinda interesting starting on £15k a year (yr 1, apprentice). Guess I will go back and see if they have anything, if not then it's only an hour of my life, no loss.

I would say interests are mainly the usual - going out with friends, cinema, music, gf, internet etc. none that I could really see being useful/ starting points for getting me a job.

However I do def. like helping people, human geography, sociology (although I wouldn't like a job in it), and certain aspects of ICT.

Hate Science and dislike a lot of physics, electonics formula, mathematical type things, also dislike being away from friends/gf/family.

I think I could probably do most jobs IF I wanted to and I put my mind to it, after some research on the connexions site a lot of the jobs that only require a-levels are nearly all public sector :/

I have another quick Q if anyone wishes to answer it, about uni, when you chose your course did/ do you know what you want to do as a job after uni? Secondly were you worried that you might not like the job you did after you did your degree, therefore wasted 3/4 years?

The only thing that seems to motivate me (90+%) of the time is £ money, which is a little sad but hey might as well be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawrence4)
    OK thanks for all your help so far, I guess I will think seriously about where my interests lie.

Guess I could enquire about the whole work experience thing, but I'd feel stupid doing work experience at 18....

I went to connexions last year and they offered me an apprentice technical surveryor which sounded kinda interesting starting on £15k a year (yr 1, apprentice). Guess I will go back and see if they have anything, if not then it's only an hour of my life, no loss.

I would say interests are mainly the usual - going out with friends, cinema, music, gf, internet etc. none that I could really see being useful/ starting points for getting me a job.

However I do def. like helping people, human geography, sociology (although I wouldn't like a job in it), and certain aspects of ICT.

Hate Science and dislike a lot of physics, electonics formula, mathematical type things, also dislike being away from friends/gf/family.

I think I could probably do most jobs IF I wanted to and I put my mind to it, after some research on the connexions site a lot of the jobs that only require a-levels are nearly all public sector :/

I have another quick Q if anyone wishes to answer it, about uni, when you chose your course did/ do you know what you want to do as a job after uni? Secondly were you worried that you might not like the job you did after you did your degree, therefore wasted 3/4 years?

The only thing that seems to motivate me (90+%) of the time is £ money, which is a little sad but hey might as well be honest
    That technical surveyor job has a decent pay per year. You will not be stupid doing work experience at the age of 18. I am doing work experience during my gap year, and I'm 18 coming up to 19 soon!

I'm sure you will have lots of time to see your gf, familiy, and friends. You just only work from 9-5 and you can see them from 5 and onwards. In addition, you get to see them during weekends and holiday times. You would still see them everyday in fact.

Yeah, the jobs that you applied for need A-levels, most of them need at least 2 though. You are fine as you are doing 2 or more A-levels.

When I chose my course, I thought of what job I would get in the future. I wanted to do something in the IT industry. Therefore, I chose to do an IT/computing type degree. I'm not worried that I won't get the job, as IT type jobs are kind of in demand now.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.