Turn on thread page Beta

Tinnitus watch

Announcements

Since going to uni and clubbing frequently I'm now starting to panic about my chances of getting tinnitus. I've already experienced ringing in my ears for a couple of days after a particularly long night clubbing. How real is the danger? Does anyone actually wear ear plugs to clubs to try to prevent it?

I'm just looking for some advice about it really, thanks.

ReputationRep:

i get tinnitus sometimes. I just wait for it to pass although it can be permanent, i suppose you have to avoid standing to close to the speakers and simple things like that as well. no idea if people use ear protection.

ReputationRep:
    I would expect the number of people wearing earplugs to be pretty small. It is a real danger and weve all had the "morning after" tinnitus that goes within a day or two. Best things to do are to avoid standing right next to the speakers and periodically give your ears a rest by going outside/somewhere quieter.

ReputationRep:
    i know what u mean, i had it for a good couple of hours. not nice at all. plus i have really good sensitive hearing so it impacts me more. just don't go too often i say. your choice though.

ReputationRep:
    I have permanent tinnitus; it's rubbish. Breaks and not standing close to the speakers is the answer.

ReputationRep:
    earplugs! flesh coloured cheap ones from boots if you dont want to spend the proper money on some decent ones. ringing in your ears is permanent damage, even if the ringing goes away.

I have tinnitus. There's no issue with clubbing. Try not to stand next to the speakers though :/ And after gigs my ears might ring a bit more for a day or so, but then it's back to the normal noises my ears make. I've had it since before I went to clubs/gigs, so that didn't bring it on if that's what you're thinking

and earplugs most definitely don't work - my brother has ones that costed about £100, but they're moulded for his ears and he's a DJ, so I guess they work pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    earplugs will reduce the amount of SPL reaching your ear drum. judging their effectiveness on whether your ears ring the next day or not isn't a fair test. im a sound engineer and after 6 hours of full blast bands, my ears will still ring with my -15db ear plugs in my ears. i need some stronger ones, but decent strong ones can get pricey. moulded ones for 100-200 are fantastic for ear protection, just too expensive.

Thanks for the advice. Seems like ear plugs won't be worth it unless I get expensive ones, and that won't be happening

My temporary tinnitus appears to have stopped now, so in future I'll just make sure I take regular breaks to go outside etc and that should prevent any permanent damage.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.