Turn on thread page Beta

AQA GCSE Business Studies exam watch

ReputationRep:
    I just got back from the Business Studies exam (AQA) today...how did everyone find it?

Even though we've covered finance, I still can't remember the ratios very well (which is wierd since I'm good at Maths and Physics which you need to remember formulas for...). My teacher said not to worry though because 'it was a small part of the syllabus'.

I can't believe there was a 16 mark question on ratios. That was a very mean question! I couldn't remember any of them (except the acid test one) so I just compared sales figures and profit hoping I might get a couple of marks at least. Walking home I remembered another 2 ratios!! Why didn't I think of those in the exam? I just went blank

Made me feel better that I tried though when the girl behind me said 'I missed the ratio question out completely!' ...oh well

Anyone else find it difficult? Maybe if lots of people did then they'd lower the grade boundaries slightly.

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    i did an AQA business exam spec A, i think on Marks and spencers casse study. there was not 16 mark question on ratios but there was a 14 mark question on a report at the end.

ReputationRep:
    I also done business studies spec A which was marks and spencers. Found some of it quite hard!! :mad:

The first page was easy but section B was mental!!

ReputationRep:
    I did M&S too, was fairly easy apart from the interest rates question which i knew but mucked up, along with my report

I hope i got that 67%...

ReputationRep:
    I found it quite hard too. But I did manage to get onto page 10 of the answer booklet so I should get some marks. I think I gaone well on the discuss question worth 8 marks each as I rememberd being told to do point from both sides or advantages and disadvantage. My report at the end was quite good as I remembered the layout well.

You also have to remember we done higher and this was pretty hard so the grade boundaries should be quite low.

I done the ratio question even though I had never done it before so might get a few marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theabominable)
    I did M&S too, was fairly easy apart from the interest rates question which i knew but mucked up, along with my report

I hope i got that 67%...
    what will 67% get you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I hate skool)
    what will 67% get you?
    A* (only because of coursework, that's not the boundary)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    I just got back from the Business Studies exam (AQA) today...how did everyone find it?

Even though we've covered finance, I still can't remember the ratios very well (which is wierd since I'm good at Maths and Physics which you need to remember formulas for...). My teacher said not to worry though because 'it was a small part of the syllabus'.

I can't believe there was a 16 mark question on ratios. That was a very mean question! I couldn't remember any of them (except the acid test one) so I just compared sales figures and profit hoping I might get a couple of marks at least. Walking home I remembered another 2 ratios!! Why didn't I think of those in the exam? I just went blank

Made me feel better that I tried though when the girl behind me said 'I missed the ratio question out completely!' ...oh well

Anyone else find it difficult? Maybe if lots of people did then they'd lower the grade boundaries slightly.

MissSurfer
    I did that paper too. Luckily I remembered all the ratios. Our teacher always said it's a massive part of the syllabus..although not that big in my opinion.

So yeh I was fairly happy with the paper, was fair. Hope the second paper is equally the same.

ReputationRep:
    yeh our teacher kept tellin us the most important thing was 2 remember the ratios. that was the only bit i'm confident about - i'm no good at business i got a c in all my mocks. How many ratios did u do, i did 2 for each year.
    :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    I didnt learn any ratios, and remembered the one we had one question on, which was lucky

ReputationRep:
    I used:-

gross profit: salves revenue
    net profit: sales revenue
    acid test ratio
    current ratio

Thats all you could use really.

ReputationRep:
    i knew the acid test one luckily and got something like 0.49:1 hope its right lol then for the other q i did net profit and gross profit margins.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that interest rate question and the dividend question through me off guard but i still did it. i got an A% (i worked it out to be 20% to my final grade) on the coursework. what will i get overall if i get a c in the exam. how did everyone find the report question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rico dan man)
    yeah that interest rate question and the dividend question through me off guard but i still did it. i got an A% (i worked it out to be 20% to my final grade) on the coursework. what will i get overall if i get a c in the exam. how did everyone find the report question?
    I think the report Q was the easiest. I actually struggled on some of the meaning Q at the start. Like loss leader and one of the other ones but hopefully I will claw back some marks on the 8 mark Q's.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's 2 discussions here...different specifications, because I didn't have the M&S case study. I have 'Brighter Gardens plc'...

ReputationRep:
    our business studies teacher gave his about 40 sheets, telling us what question was likely to come up (a few actually did, such as the decentrilisation question and some vocabulary).

But can some one please answer my question about the course work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    I think there's 2 discussions here...different specifications, because I didn't have the M&S case study. I have 'Brighter Gardens plc'...
    does ne1 know how u were meant to apply answers to the case study? i kept droppin in the word garden or plant thats all will i get ne marks?

ReputationRep:
    in this business studies exam i finished the booklet that they gave you-12 pages or whatever it is. then i asked for another...i finished that aswell....so i asked for another....and finished that aswell.....so i asked for another and done 1 page in the booklet.

Is that normal?!!

ReputationRep:
    no that aint normal, u must have big writing and must of been babbling on your with your answers, you must of got near enough full marks. i weren't so enthusiastic on the other hand.

ReputationRep:
    pj tailor is a liar, it's not possible to write 37 pages in two hours. I was writing constantly for the whole 2 hours, and only filled 11 pages.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.