sheffield city, small? more of a rock indie scene ? I thought differentl Watch

This discussion is closed.
face05
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I was shocked to be told you could literally walk through sheffield city centre , and that it is a small city that leans towards the rock, indie music scene. Is this true?? I thought it was a big city ....( one of the biggest in england actually) ...with a varied demographics and alot to offer. :confused:

Is it not bigger that Nottingham city centre for example??

Please someone give me a general summary of what kind of place sheffield is compared to London/Nottingham...

Thank you.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sheffield certainly isn't a small city. It's one of the regional capitalis of the country and one of the English core cities (alongside Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol). In terms of population it's probably fourth or so in England.

What they probably mean is it being compact (there's a difference between a small city and a compact city). For example, I'd describe Cardiff as a compact city despite being a capital and Newcastle as a compact city despite forming the urban core of a large conurbation (Tyneside). You can walk from one end of the city centre to the other in half an hour or so. Most major things are within walking distance. They still have plenty to offer, Newcastle is arguably the country's finest city for nightlife and partying, but they are just easy to naviage by foot.

I wouldn't describe Sheffield as being quite that compact but it's still easy to get by on foot with minimal public transport use (and you can chose from bus and tram). It has a nickname as being the largest village in England, because its geography has never really lent itself to great urban sprawl. The city as we know it has seen huge developement during and after the industrial revolution but outside the current city boundaries it's quite hilly with National Park (Peak District) and greenbelt surrounding it. This means it's slightly more "isolated" than other major cities (and in my opinion that's a good thing :p: )

It's still a large city with plenty to offer, the same shops, good range of nightclubs. A great variety of small to mid-size music venues (student unions, city hall, Coroporation, 02, Casbah....)

In short I think they just mean that it's more compact than London or perhaps even a Manchester is and that its sprawl has quite defined boundaries. I don't think you can compare any UK city to London as pretty much any city will seem small compared to it! But Nottingham's a fairer comparison. In my limited experience of Nottingham (and slightly more extensive experience of Sheffield) I'd probably prefer Sheffield. Especially from a music scene point of view.
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The city centre itself is rather small, compared to what I'm used to anyway (Liverpool/Manchester) and I do mean small rather than compact. There does seem to be less variety in terms of shopping and clubbing although nights out are definitely cheaper than Liverpool! I haven't really noticed any major inclination towards the Indie scene; they have all the major chain bars and clubs that are present in a lot of cities, as well as many smaller ones catered to different types of music. If you're coming from Nottingham you'll probably find it more varied though.
jadakiss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the music scene isnt really all indie, theres a mix of everything, and depends whichnights you go to certain clubs as well
sheffield is definitely not a small city, itd the 3rd largets in the uk, its just compact, every where is easy to get to by foot, tram etc, and things are pretty cheap as wel, expecially if ure a student. you can enjoy great nights out for very cheap!! compareed to the likes of london and manchester.

also the shoping is good, city centre is nice, meadowhall is great, quite big as well. has all the shops, and a few independent ones, so no different really from other cities. its also quite safe, and clean
why, you thinking of miving to sheffield??
face05
Rep:
?
(Original post by jadakiss)
the music scene isnt really all indie, theres a mix of everything, and depends whichnights you go to certain clubs as well
sheffield is definitely not a small city, itd the 3rd largets in the uk, its just compact, every where is easy to get to by foot, tram etc, and things are pretty cheap as wel, expecially if ure a student. you can enjoy great nights out for very cheap!! compareed to the likes of london and manchester.

also the shoping is good, city centre is nice, meadowhall is great, quite big as well. has all the shops, and a few independent ones, so no different really from other cities. its also quite safe, and clean
why, you thinking of miving to sheffield??

I'm not thinking of moving to the city...thinking of applying to the university.
I'm from London but studied in Nottingham for a year.....it was alright but quite small and feels abit stuck out. So I'm looking for something kind of different..something similar to London ...urban/big/varied. Sheffield university is good at the course I'm looking at ....so I hope the city doesn't let me down!!

Thanx for the indepth info River85 ....
LostRiot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by face05)
I'm not thinking of moving to the city...thinking of applying to the university.
I'm from London but studied in Nottingham for a year.....it was alright but quite small and feels abit stuck out. So I'm looking for something kind of different..something similar to London ...urban/big/varied. Sheffield university is good at the course I'm looking at ....so I hope the city doesn't let me down!!

I grew up near Bristol, 3 years in Sheffield then a year in London and now back in Sheffield.

London is awesome, there is nothing close to it anywhere else in the UK in terms of scale, but Sheffield is an equally fun place to live. It doesn't have as much, but what it does have is really good.

Also, you're less likely to get stabbed, London and Nottingham! Living life on the edge, lol.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I personally prefer Sheffield to Nottingham... Better shopping too (IMO) :woo:! lol.
jadakiss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by face05)

right i see, well im from london - ish, and sheffiekd is different from london, but not in a bad way its still a really really decent city for students. im in sheffield uni too, and i love it so far!!! plus you could always go to manhester or leeds if you wanted something different, less than 10 pounds by train.
good luck with whatever you end up doing, but Sheffield is great
face05
Rep:
?
(Original post by jadakiss)
right i see, well im from london - ish, and sheffiekd is different from london, but not in a bad way its still a really really decent city for students. im in sheffield uni too, and i love it so far!!! plus you could always go to manhester or leeds if you wanted something different, less than 10 pounds by train.
good luck with whatever you end up doing, but Sheffield is great

Cheers

Yeah..I'm also applying to leeds. manch and newcastle. Just exploring other options really.....Sheffield uni is good ..thats why I'm interested...I will give the city a look if they invite me for an interview.
suek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
IMO the only city similar to London in the UK is, well, London. Nothing rivals it in terms of its immensity. But that's good and bad. I for example have no desire to make London a 'home' because it's just such hard work, I suppose. It's difficult to live anywhere near where you need to be and you have to travel everywhere.

Sheffield is a compact city, it's true, but I love it. We've got the Supertram, excellent bus links, which helps it feel more London-like lol! I think shopping is just fine in the city, there's everything I need in there, and just on the outskirts of the city centre there's lots of big 'retail park' like shops such as Staples, B&Q, supermarkets etc - basically you can easily always buy anything last minute. It might be weird to mention B&Q but you might surprised what you find you suddenly need.

And pretty much all student accommodation is either in the city centre or on the outskirts of the centre - this applies for me and it takes me 10/15 mins to walk to the centre of town.

I don't like the Odeon cinema in the city centre it has to be said, but there's a Cineworld in the Valley Centretainment 'park' which is easily accessed by tram and that cinema is completely AWESOME

There's the Sheffield Arena which gets some great gigs...

And then of course, there's Meadowhall. If shopping is what you want, it's fantastic. It has an Apple store The only one of the three cities you mentioned hehe.
Natatron
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sheffield is an amazing city to live in seriously! Yes it isnt as big as some of the other cities but its friendly and has a huge student population. As far as leaning more to the indie side, it does in certain places but you still have mainstream bars. Where as you go to newcastle on a night out and its full of lasses and lads with more fake tan on than david dickinson, sheffield has more of a relaxed atmosphere.

The crime rates arnt as high as other places such as london and the first time i visited Nottingham a chav threatened to kill us which is always nice, you need to feel safe in a place you want to call your home.

As for like visiting other cities, maybe for shopping or seeing friends at other unis, maybe for a night out? The station is never too far, and with a student rail card, train tickets arnt really a problem at all.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads