Turn on thread page Beta

Salters A2 Chemistry - Chemistry Of Materials - 23/06/05 watch

ReputationRep:
    There are more people doing salters than i thought.

I'm the only non-biologist in the whole year doing chemistry as well and i really hate it. There are so many biology stuff in there and i'm the only one who didn't get it...

I think colour by design is more difficult since it has all the difficult part and have to remember all the organic reaction. I always mix the reaction condition up.

ReputationRep:
    Ah i guess thats the hardest part for everyone really as there are so many reactions to remember, that hwy as soon as we had the toolkit i copied them down onto huge posters around my room. But its almost impossible to know all of them exactly but some u can figure out cant you?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think they might ask this time round for the 5/6 markers in Chemistry Of Materials and Chemistry By Design?

Also, could anyone explain to me the structure of the marking, i.e. how they calculate your final grade based on Units 2850 , 2848, 2849, 2854, and also the AS Coursework and the A2 Investigation?
    Different people have been saying different ways, its all got a bit confusing.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was just what you got in each unit added together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    What do you think they might ask this time round for the 5/6 markers in Chemistry Of Materials and Chemistry By Design?

Also, could anyone explain to me the structure of the marking, i.e. how they calculate your final grade based on Units 2850 , 2848, 2849, 2854, and also the AS Coursework and the A2 Investigation?
    Different people have been saying different ways, its all got a bit confusing.
    Basically the whole thing is out of 600.
    The first AS unit (chemistry of life) is out of 90.
    The second AS unit (chemistry of natural resources) is out of 120
    The coursework/open book is out of 90
    The first A2 unit (chemistry of materials) is out of 90
    The second A2 (chemistry by design) is out of 120
    The A2 coursework is out of 90.

They add all your marks to get something out of 600. You need 480 for an A, 420 for a B, 360 fior a C etc.

ReputationRep:
    Your raw mark will be converted to a UMS score
    That's just a way of standardising all the subjects
    So e.g. subjects like languages where it's harder to get a full score are moderated up and ones like sciences where full marks are very accessible are moderated down
    Modules 1, 3, 4 and 6 are all worth 90UMS marks
    Modules 2 and 5 are work 120
    So you get 300 in total for AS and 300 for A2
    The number of marks you get = your grade
    480+ = an A
    420-479 = a B
    360-419 = a C

ReputationRep:
    ive been using the revision guides and they are really helpful - written by the examiners. my notes are terrible - mainly examples or just sections of the textbook copied out so i love the guide! the worst bit for me is electrode potentials and colour.
    i think probably the long question will be on IM forces. which i find really hard to expain the way they want them to be expained...

ReputationRep:
    dude, u know what chemistry by design is gona be a killer paper. especilly all that stuff on oceans. but thursdays paper shuld be ok. i hoping to get a solid grade for that.

ReputationRep:
    argh! I have no idea how to revise for chemistry. Doing past papers I guess is my best bet. Really not looking forward to the paper on thursday. If anyones got any good advice for revision, then please let me know. I can get hold of a few past papers and mark schemes, don't know how to post them though as they're on our college blackboard site...

:tsr:

ReputationRep:
    hopefully it will be a straight forward paper on thursday
    any ideas on 6mark questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    hopefully it will be a straight forward paper on thursday
    any ideas on 6mark questions?
    I hope it will be on colorimetry because i know that very well and it's easier to get mark on it. Thursday paper is better than the one next tuesday.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.