Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an old computer I want to put to use, and I'm planning to try and install Windows 7 on it, but I need an AGP graphics card with atleast 120mb RAM to make the Aero effects work. It currently has a 250W PSU, what AGP graphics cards can I use with it? Would a nVidia FX5200 256mb card work well with it?

Some other specs:
    Windows 7
    RAM: 1GB (256x4) 333Hz
    Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
    40GB Seagate Barracuda HD
    PSU: 250Watt

I'm planning to use this system just for general internet/video browsing, backup and programming, so nothing too fancy.

ReputationRep:
    Go for at least a geforce 6200. Fx5200s are crap tbh.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/256MB...assive-Cooling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoCoolOnesLeft)
    Go for at least a geforce 6200. Fx5200s are crap tbh.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/256MB...assive-Cooling
    Thanks for the link. How would it fare with a 250W PSU though? Would it be enough?

ReputationRep:
    350 Watt is the min spec I would recommend. You could try 250. If it doesn't work then by new PSU.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt that PC is going to run at all well with Windows 7 on it. Mine's currently chugging along using 2.02GB of RAM and all i'm using is Media player, firefox and antivirus...

Either use XP instead, or try a Linux distribution. It isn't really worth upgrading the GPU, then finding you don't have enough RAM, then finding your CPU isn't fast enough, then your mobo isn't compatible, etc etc. You'd be better off buying a new PC for that.

So I would highly advise against Windows 7... You really don't have the PC for it I think

ReputationRep:
    But wasn't 7 supposed to be > than XP on the same hardware?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    my bros pc runs win 7 fine lol with these specs,

intel celeron D 2.66ghz
    1gb of ddr ram
    64mb onboard intel graphics
    160gb seagate barracuda hd

Naturally its not recommended but u gotta love that it runs on that, stick to the 32 bit version though.

On topic i carnt see that psu powering any independednt graphics card and trying is risky because it couldbe a cheap generic psu and overload and blow ure pc up try this intead,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-500W-Ste.../dp/B001564SRE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    I highly doubt that PC is going to run at all well with Windows 7 on it. Mine's currently chugging along using 2.02GB of RAM and all i'm using is Media player, firefox and antivirus...

Either use XP instead, or try a Linux distribution. It isn't really worth upgrading the GPU, then finding you don't have enough RAM, then finding your CPU isn't fast enough, then your mobo isn't compatible, etc etc. You'd be better off buying a new PC for that.

So I would highly advise against Windows 7... You really don't have the PC for it I think
    It's not my main PC btw, it's just a dusty tower I managed to get from my Sixth Form who were throwing away old computers

I just installed Windows 7 on it, and it seems to run very well actually. Of course, I had to steal the nVidia FX 5200 (temporarily for now) from my mum's old Dell to make the Aero theme work, but it works wonderfully.

I guess I'll just get a 6200 then. Thanks for the help everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElegantElephant™)
    :eek: wow, glad it's working okay for you!
    Once you've got everything configured, it's benchmarking time
    Post us some results!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElegantElephant™)
    Thanks for the link. How would it fare with a 250W PSU though? Would it be enough?
    Not sure. 350W is the minimum I'd have in my PC. a moderate PC should really have 500W+.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.