Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This might be a really stupid question, hence why I don't fancy contacting the IT guys in college about it, but are we allowed to use MSN messenger on the University network? I've been stuck in my room for days with Swine flu (I know, fantastic Freshers' Week ) and I could really do with talking to some friends from home.

If it is permitted (I've scoured the OUCS website and I haven't seen anything to say it isn't) then does anybody have an idea why mine is very obstinately not working? And how to make it work? I promise Rep (pitiful though it is) and a drink if I ever meet whoever solves this for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ars Ludicra)
    This might be a really stupid question, hence why I don't fancy contacting the IT guys in college about it, but are we allowed to use MSN messenger on the University network? I've been stuck in my room for days with Swine flu (I know, fantastic Freshers' Week ) and I could really do with talking to some friends from home.

If it is permitted (I've scoured the OUCS website and I haven't seen anything to say it isn't) then does anybody have an idea why mine is very obstinately not working? And how to make it work? I promise Rep (pitiful though it is) and a drink if I ever meet whoever solves this for me.
    I'm pretty sure it is allowed, and even if it isn't, you can probably get away with it. I've used Skype every day, even though it's technically not allowed, and I've survived so far.

I'm afraid I don't know why your MSN isn't working, though...

Sorry about the swine flu! Really bad timing. I hope you're feeling better soon.

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of a college banning it, so I doubt that is responsible for yours not working.

ReputationRep:
    no they lock you up ad force you to revise all day and night...ofcourse your allowed

ReputationRep:
    I have Windows Live Messenger, and it worked fine in halls last year on the uni network. As long as you're not downloading anything illegal or that may harm the computer, it should be fine.

MSN/Windows Live is a bit temperamental though, try again in an hour or two and it might work.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all of you (sorry I don't know how to multiquote).

Now I'm certain it's allowed, I just have to find out how to fix it. It hasn't been working at all since I got here, so I don't think it's a problem with MSN. It could be that I'm on a Mac, but I don't see why that would make a difference. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem, and so does someone else on my corridor, I think. We're both also on macs, which might be part of the problem? Not sure why, though. Do you know if anyone else in your college has been able to connect?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bysshe)
    I'm pretty sure it is allowed, and even if it isn't, you can probably get away with it. I've used Skype every day, even though it's technically not allowed, and I've survived so far.

I'm afraid I don't know why your MSN isn't working, though...

Sorry about the swine flu! Really bad timing. I hope you're feeling better soon.
    Skype is allowed now, provided you don't use certain settings (don't ask me what they are, though; I've never used Skype myself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syron)
    I have the exact same problem, and so does someone else on my corridor, I think. We're both also on macs, which might be part of the problem? Not sure why, though. Do you know if anyone else in your college has been able to connect?
    The Jesus college system HATES Macs. Prepare to be screwed for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    MSN can sometimes be messed by virus scanners, not sure why, AVG messed mine up for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Skype is allowed now, provided you don't use certain settings (don't ask me what they are, though; I've never used Skype myself).
    Really? In one the talks at my college earlier this week, the IT guy mentioned Skype not being allowed. But he's generally quite scary and anti everything, so maybe it's just him. I haven't messed around with the Skype settings, so hopefully I'm all right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    The Jesus college system HATES Macs. Prepare to be screwed for 3 years.

Anything in particular I should watch out for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syron)
    Ahh, it sounds as though it could be a Mac-related issue then. I might contact the IT guy at my college about it. He uses a Mac and is apparently really obsessed with them, so he should know. If I find a solution I'll let you know. Just looks like it won't be tonight.

And Bysshe, it's quite simple to configure Skype. The instructions are here: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/network/voip/skype.xml

ReputationRep:
    it is probably allowed, but it could be a distraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syron)

Anything in particular I should watch out for?
    Not really. Just expect that whenever anything goes wrong JP will say ah, well we don't really support Macs.

ReputationRep:
    which msn client are you using? i'm on a mac and i use amsn, and it works fine for me, so if you're on a different one it might be worth a try. i think adium works fine too. but yeah if they persist with failing to work then contact an IT person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigrrmilk)
    which msn client are you using? i'm on a mac and i use amsn, and it works fine for me, so if you're on a different one it might be worth a try. i think adium works fine too. but yeah if they persist with failing to work then contact an IT person.
    I've been using Messenger for Mac until I came to university. I'll give aMSN a try. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    We have MSN allowed, and skype, but not spotify. :mad:

There goes my free music supply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigrrmilk)
    Adium's a no-go for me, as is the official Messenger, and aMSN I can't get to work at all. Web-based messengers like meebo or iLoveIM work fine though, so I guess I'll use one of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syron)
    Adium's a no-go for me, as is the official Messenger, and aMSN I can't get to work at all. Web-based messengers like meebo or iLoveIM work fine though, so I guess I'll use one of those.
    ah, it'll probably be ports then. which is something i know nothing about fixing, but might be something yr college IT people can sort out - i'd just drop them a line, you never know.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.