Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone has any experience of working in a mid-tier/small accounting firm? compared to the big-4, i expect that you have greater responsibilty and the possibility to progress higher up the ranks is better, however, the clients would be smaller.

regarding pay, does anyone know what the average salary i can expect to earn in london and can i expect any other benefits e.g. car? also, since i don't live in london at the moment, whats the likelihood of such firms to offer relocation money (or a interest-free loan)?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    As you can imagine there is a big difference in some instances between small and medium companies.The small companies i have worked in have been very small and promotion would be quite difficult as the staff turnover rate is very low. The pay was lower than in the medium company.

However the medium tier company i have worked for paid quite little to their A level junior (this was in the north west uk) but much better the higher up u were. but it was easier to move up on the ladder so to speak. I dont know about how this would change being in london, but you may be more likely to get better benefits with larger comapnies, but not always

Earlier on in your career you will probably be given more responsibility than in the big4 but not by too much.

Your training would be more work if the small/med company only do day release or something similar, as you will have a lot of study to do every night after work. Opposed to the big4 who do intensive courses.

There really are advantages and disadvantages for both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steffy)
    As you can imagine there is a big difference in some instances between small and medium companies.The small companies i have worked in have been very small and promotion would be quite difficult as the staff turnover rate is very low. The pay was lower than in the medium company.

However the medium tier company i have worked for paid quite little to their A level junior (this was in the north west uk) but much better the higher up u were. but it was easier to move up on the ladder so to speak. I dont know about how this would change being in london, but you may be more likely to get better benefits with larger comapnies, but not always

Earlier on in your career you will probably be given more responsibility than in the big4 but not by too much.

Your training would be more work if the small/med company only do day release or something similar, as you will have a lot of study to do every night after work. Opposed to the big4 who do intensive courses.

There really are advantages and disadvantages for both
    thank you

anyone else? does anyone know about the relocation money?

ReputationRep:
    You could tell the firm/interviewer about your situation and whether they can assist you in relocating.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.