The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My boyfriend used negative association.
He smoked for like 3 years was on about 40 a day by the end... broke up with his girlfriend who he'd always smoked most around and it completely put him off, hasn't smoked a single cigarette since.

I mean, obviously hard to imitate, but maybe hit yourself on the arm every time you go to smoke/smoke/get bad cravings? Might help over time.

Also ask your friends and family to try and be considerate. Maybe one of them would like to quit with you, you could support each other. And they may still smoke but try and ask them not to smoke in the same room as you or while talking to you or similar.

Good luck.
mipegg
No, just don't make out that there are differences between the damage smoking and drinking cause to your body.

There are differences, clear differences between them. Surely you must understand that they are two completely different substances?

mipegg

What are you? Some sort of xenophobe?

Not at all, I am accepting of everyone. I will however argue against people's retarded principles.
Antonia87
I also get huge cravings after every meal. Should I stop eating too?

oh god post meal cravings are so bad, i can't just sit there drinking coffee with no cigarette.

anyway i had been trying to cut down but cutting down doesn't work. if you're limiting the number of cigarettes you're going to smoke in one day to, say two, you'll be thinking about those two cigarette all day, and you'll enjoy them more so the addiction never goes away, in fact it gets stronger. the only way to quit is to stop completely. if you get an urge to smoke do something else to get your mind off it, or think about what you're going to achieve if you do...lol i don't know nothing has worked for me. (i've also been smoking for about four years so i'm not expecting you to do just be able to stop.) but definitely don't try cutting down, the few times i stopped for like two weeks was after i was chain smoking, not smoking less. at the moment i just think £25 a week is a bit of a waste when it could go towards smoking better things that don't make you addicted.
Reply 23
hey im trying to give up to! unfortunately i haven't been so strong at resisting temptation and if i'm drinking i smoke too! i also get cravings after meals too...but i found that eating in front of the tv watching a program you really like makes you not want to get up and go outside for a fag, and if the craving doesn't go away i treat myself with chocolate or a desert and then by that point i dont want one anymore

put aside the money you would spend on cigarettes and after every couple of weeks treat yourself to something nice - new shoes, meal out, extra night out once you've overcome the drinking/smoking thing!

good luck!!
Antonia87
I gave up the habit two weeks ago, after smoking for four years and it may sound dramatic, but I feel as if I'm in Hell. I really didn't think it would be this hard.

What makes it more difficult is that both my parents smoke and all my friends smoke, so when we go out to pubs, they always go outside and I'm typically left inside to look after their stuff, unless I choose to go with them.

The moment alcohol touches my lips, my mind instantly screams "I want a cigarette!!!" I don't give in, but it puts me in a terrible mood and I get ratty and irritable.

Help! Can any ex-smokers help please?

I still get cravings after meals, etc.

Give yourself one night out of the week where you're allowed to smoke. Perhaps a Friday when you might drink a lot more then usual. Having that one day of freedom will keep you going through the week, and you'll really enjoy the night.

It's virtually impossible to just stop completely, if you cut down like I suggested it may help you. It helped me.
I can't offer any help unfortunately... sometimes I try and quit and go for a week and its just impossible for me... Good luck.
mipegg
No, just don't make out that there are differences between the damage smoking and drinking cause to your body.

What are you? Some sort of xenophobe?

Drinking wine in moderation is actually proven to be beneficial, not harmful. Smoking is never beneficial.
wintersunset
don't try cutting down

nase14_aldayz
cut down

oh no
Reply 28
You Failed
Drinking wine in moderation is actually proven to be beneficial, not harmful. Smoking is never beneficial.

Actually the occasional cigarette has been proven to reduce stress in the majority of the population...
wintersunset
oh no

lol, hey whatever works for different people.

I'm trying to turn into a social smoker before taking the big step down into non-smoker.

So I'll just give myself Friday night smoking night, and get through 20.
Reply 30
Im currently trying to quit, and im in the same possition, sort of. My family smoke and so im always around them which makes the cravings harder to deal with.

Ive tried to quit so many times before, but ive never had the will to stop, i don't think i actually wanted to stop, i just knew i had to.
I used to smoke as soon as i woke up, after every meal, and before bed. So i know what you must be going through with the cravings. Whats helped me is after i eat i immediatly brush my teeth, and try and keep busy for a few mins, which helps me take my mind of the urge to have a smoke.

As for the drinking, im not sure what you could do, maybe you could cut down the drinking untill you can handle the craving to smoke.

Quitting is v.difficult, but it seems as though you've gotten past the difficult stage by not giving in. You just need to maintain that. Try remembering why you gave up in the first place or reward yourself with something, like if you can go without smoking for a week/month, buy yourself something, indulge a little.

Good luck!
Just reading this thread is making me desperate for a fag.
have you tried getting an electronic cigarette? They cost about £30 online, look like a real ciggarette and blow out steam or something
mipegg
Actually the occasional cigarette has been proven to reduce stress in the majority of the population...

And increases lung cancer. Not exactly win win huh? even one cigarette a day is harmful :eek:
Look at the money you're saving, and buy yourself something with that :smile:
Reply 35
I viewed this video clip the day I gave up smoking; I honestly believe the points he makes completely changed my view of the habit. Fast forward to 1:47.
Reply 36
Exercise
If you can find just one friend who doesn't smoke (you must know SOMEBODY who doesn't!) and get them to support you, I think it could really help. I'm currently trying to quit, and everytime I feel like I really want one, I speak to my gf - who doesn't smoke - and she encourages me not to and makes me realise how stupid it would be to give in to the craving.

Also, I'm using a nicorette inhaler and it's helping a lot. It gives you the same hand to mouth action as a cigarette and a few puffs when you have a craving really does reduce it.
mipegg

Care to provide a source for that?

Nicotine is a stimulant, which means it increases heart rate and blood pressure, the exact opposite of being relaxed or reducing stress. The reason behind the myth that cigarettes reduce stress is a false cover. The so called reduction in stress levels is actually due to the addicition being satisfied in the user, if you're not addicted then you don't satisfy a craving and you don't notice a reduction in stress. If you are addicted then sure, you'll experience reduced stress, but it also means you smoke a reasonable amount and also, if you weren't addicted in the first place you wouldn't experience the stress caused by cravings which is then reduced by having nicotine.
On the other hand nicotine releases endorphins which is the reason why people actually start smoking in the first place. If it wasn't good/relaxing for the first 20 or 40 ciggies until you got addicted nobody would do it.

Latest

Trending

Trending