Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I've just submitted an application to Oxford (Magdalen college) and was wondering, if I am lucky enough to be offered a place, what formal clothing is required. I know you need a black suit for sub fusc, but do people tend to wear more casual suits for some events like lectures at the Oxford Union, and do they tend to dress more formally (i.e. white tie) to very special events like balls? Just curious but thoughts appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danbo600roboguy)
    Hi. I've just submitted an application to Oxford (Magdalen college) and was wondering, if I am lucky enough to be offered a place, what formal clothing is required. I know you need a black suit for sub fusc, but do people tend to wear more casual suits for some events like lectures at the Oxford Union, and do they tend to dress more formally (i.e. white tie) to very special events like balls? Just curious but thoughts appreciated.
    Most of the time you'll just be in regular clothes (presumably you figured that out already, but people have asked before!). It's rare for people to dress up for the Union. Generally you'd dress totally normally

You'll probably want a lounge suit for things like formal hall (depending on the college - some it's very casual, but you'll almost certainly have optional events like guest nights or sports/boat club dinners where you'll want it, or if you want to sing in the choir for evensong etc)

Depending on the ball it could be black tie (which a lot of guys do own) or - rarely - white tie, which almost everybody will hire rather than buy because you wear it so rarely.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. That's very useful (and I did realise they dress normally most of the time :p: )

ReputationRep:
    I have two suits, although I could probably get away with just one. I only bought the second one because my mum thought my first one was too interesting for sub-fusc. It is, however, nice to have a less-boring suit for use at guest nights, black-tie events, etc. As for white tie, like Bekaboo said, you're better off hiring it because buying one will cost a bomb and you'll hardly ever use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danbo600roboguy)
    1x cheapish dark lounge suit (for sub fusc and other messy formal events)
    1x dinner suit- I probably wear mine more than I wear other suits
    maybe 1x nicer suit - depending on what youre into

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.