Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was discussing night shifts with my partner and he basically said they suck and I better steer clear from them. And there was me thinking it sounded like fun

So, can you enlighten me if you've done night shifts in supermarkets and places like Boots for example? How about Royal Mail? Are they really full of blokes being silly? Are there many girls? :rolleyes:

Is it really that hard?

ReputationRep:
    I somewhat agree night shifts aren't the greatest it messes with your sleep if you aint careful. I'd have to say though there was way too many old women where I used to work not really any girls and a few blokes but everyone is tired and not in the mood for being silly. Of course your/other's experence may vary. For the money its worth it though, just don't over do it.

ReputationRep:
    well ive just come off a block of nights (am a student nurse_ and it does mess your body clock a lot! Ie its 10.30, and im dying to go do my daily shopping, and the gym, and as wide awake as anything! Just eat right (dont do what I did last night, and scoff on cakes, chips and gravy etc) and stagger your workload so when the 5am hit comes, you can keep yourself pre-occupied

Night workers are an odd bunch, the chronic ones are anyway- you get a lot of mums, and older men! When i worked at tesco we had music on whilst working etc, it isn't always fun, and its tough when its a nice day outside but you're sleeping Plus its hard to see friends, as your day is just taken up with sleeping and getting things done!

ReputationRep:
    I love working nights - I've done a few as a HCA at a hospital which was awesome and now I work in a night club and we don't leave til 5am... sometimes closer to 6.

It's knackering and it takes some time getting used to but it's generally good craic :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    well ive just come off a block of nights (am a student nurse_ and it does mess your body clock a lot! Ie its 10.30, and im dying to go do my daily shopping, and the gym, and as wide awake as anything! Just eat right (dont do what I did last night, and scoff on cakes, chips and gravy etc) and stagger your workload so when the 5am hit comes, you can keep yourself pre-occupied

Night workers are an odd bunch, the chronic ones are anyway- you get a lot of mums, and older men! When i worked at tesco we had music on whilst working etc, it isn't always fun, and its tough when its a nice day outside but you're sleeping Plus its hard to see friends, as your day is just taken up with sleeping and getting things done!
    Is 10:30 not a normal time anyway? I'm wide awake wether it's 10:30PM or AM most of the time really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatFridge)
    Is 10:30 not a normal time anyway? I'm wide awake wether it's 10:30PM or AM most of the time really...

lol yes but usually i like to be settling down for the night at this time, have a glass of wine, laze about, and go to sleep at 11
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I started working nights two weeks ago now. There is only one other girl who does night shift and she's only on one of my shifts, so yeah, lots of guys. Thing is they're all really really nice! I think there's a bigger sense of family amongst us all really, compared to on days where every one seems to do their own thing. I really like it. :yep:

Oh, I work at Sainsbury's and do 9pm til 7am.

ReputationRep:
    lol yes but usually i like to be settling down for the night at this time, have a glass of wine, laze about, and go to sleep at 11
    Oh there we go, we're different thats why :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do night shifts because I'm one nocturnal son of a gun. I wouldn't mind being paid to stay awake. :awesome:

Sounds like a sausage fest though. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I swap easily between the two, If I'm working nights then when I get home then the morning becomes my evening and I've Sky+ last nights telly.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    I'd love to do night shifts because I'm one nocturnal son of a gun. I wouldn't mind being paid to stay awake. :awesome:

Sounds like a sausage fest though. :sad:
    It is a bit, but that's because of deliveries and you're putting out stock. Stock is usually in cardboard boxes and then packed into tote boxes and put onto those cages, and they're damn heavy. I really struggle to pull them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mogger71)
    I swap easily between the two, If I'm working nights then when I get home then the morning becomes my evening and I've Sky+ last nights telly.

Ditto lol, I tend to do the washing and housework when i come back, am currently catching up on xfactor and criminal justice :teeth:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    BTW, if you DO decide to do night shift, don't rely on energy drinks. They really mess you up. Most of my colleagues run off them and they only sleep for a few hours because of them. :dontknow: I've been staying away from caffeine/energy drinks and I'm sleeping ok.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto lol, I tend to do the washing and housework when i come back, am currently catching up on xfactor and criminal justice :teeth:
    :yes:
    But don't fall into the trap of swapping around your eating habbits, it buggers your digestive system up for days.

If I'm working nights I normally sleep for about 3-4 hours, get up and eat and then go back to bed. I eat slow relese carbs and fruit in the middle of a shift but nothing too heavy.

ReputationRep:
    I've been applying for a few temp jobs and some of them mention night shifts (Argos, Boots, Royal Mail) and it sounds like something I wouldn't mind doing, I'm a night owl and I rather deal with packets and boxes than actual costumers and tills, now that would stress me out

I guess I can do nothing but try, and it's only for a few weeks anyway. Thanks for all the advice

BTW, what are the breaks like, in night shifts? Do you go sit somewhere and eat in the middle of the night, or have a power nap or a ciggie or something :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mogger71)
    :yes:
    But don't fall into the trap of swapping around your eating habbits, it buggers your digestive system up for days.

If I'm working nights I normally sleep for about 3-4 hours, get up and eat and then go back to bed. I eat slow relese carbs and fruit in the middle of a shift but nothing too heavy.
    Oh i knowwww, i tend to not eat v.much on nights really, i sleep 8/9-4pm, get up, have a bowl of cereal, then work 8.15-12am, and i usually have a sandwhich, yogurt, or chips etc, and i'll snack on small chocolates that the patients may have brought in and have LOADS of tea! I probably eat less tbh with you, not necessarily the goodn stuff, but less

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tongolele)
    I've been applying for a few temp jobs and some of them mention night shifts (Argos, Boots, Royal Mail) and it sounds like something I wouldn't mind doing, I'm a night owl and I rather deal with packets and boxes than actual costumers and tills, now that would stress me out

I guess I can do nothing but try, and it's only for a few weeks anyway. Thanks for all the advice

BTW, what are the breaks like, in night shifts? Do you go sit somewhere and eat in the middle of the night, or have a power nap or a ciggie or something :confused:

depends, last night was the slowest night ive ever done, all the patients were in bed and settled by 9pm, so we just sat down, watched xfactor, got up nmow and again for buzzers, probably a total of 6 buzzers all night! and we get a 2 hour break where we tend to go sleep in the office
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh i knowwww, i tend to not eat v.much on nights really, i sleep 8/9-4pm, get up, have a bowl of cereal, then work 8.15-12am, and i usually have a sandwhich, yogurt, or chips etc, and i'll snack on small chocolates that the patients may have brought in and have LOADS of tea! I probably eat less tbh with you, not necessarily the goodn stuff, but less
    I haven't been eating much at all - mostly liquid based actually. Soup, pasta, porridge and lots of water seems to be my main diet when I'm working and my body certainly doesn't agree. :rofl:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    We have 30 minute breaks (work 10 hour shift, 2 x 30 min breaks) and we just eat/watch tv/generally relax. Some people read the paper. We all try not to go to sleep because it's only 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:

Depends, when I work at the hospital we got an hour break on nights, some people napped but I prefered to watch some TV with a cup of coffee and some chocolate :p: In my current job (almost, but not 'proper' nights) breaks depend on what time we get in, we get 20 minutes if we start at 9pm, nothing if we start at 10pm as long as our closing time is still 2am (occasionally changes to 3am).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.