Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this isn't the right place.

Right well, i recently started Uni on a foundation degree, which is run partly through the uni and partly through college. There are only 8 of us on the course, although we do get some lectures with others.

My problem is, i'm finding it very very hard to make friends. I live at home still so havnt met anyone through halls. I came onto the course last minute as my plans changed so although i didnt miss any of the course i missed freshers week as i new nothing about it, apart from the fair.

As for my old friends, the ones who didnt move away i dont get to see much all being at different uni's its hard, and they have new friends now too.

And i also feel like my boyfriend is drifting away, i no he'll be really busy at uni but i feel like i'm the one making all of the effort to talk to him. I am really scared i am going to loose him... although i am trying not to think like that.

So basically atm i feel very very alone...

Has anyone got any advice please??

x

ReputationRep:
    That's a tough one. I'd suggest that you try and make friends by initiating conversation about the course, such as 'have you done this homework?' or insult the teacher (only if you don't like them).

Regarding your friends, arrange to meet up with them like once every two weeks (if possible) in order to try and keep in touch. Try and do the same thing with your boyfriend, or make it more frequent if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    That's a tough one. I'd suggest that you try and make friends by initiating conversation about the course, such as 'have you done this homework?' or insult the teacher (only if you don't like them).

Regarding your friends, arrange to meet up with them like once every two weeks (if possible) in order to try and keep in touch. Try and do the same thing with your boyfriend, or make it more frequent if you can.
    Its not that we dont talk on the course (its drama we have to lol) but we are all quite different and i just havnt really clicked with anyone, I actually no one lad from before the course but we never hung out in the same 'circle' really.
    Thanks though!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?? xx

ReputationRep:
    My advice is just stick it out. The best friends you make won't be from Freshers anyway. I think there are also probably lots of people in your situation as well, and when the dust settles you will find your way. For the mean time, just be yourself, go out in the evenings, make friends with the people on your course. Be yourself, you will find your group. Uni is massive, it just takes a bit of time Perhaps get your BF to go on a night out with you, meet some people? Just a suggestion...

Really hope it all goes well for you, I'm sure it will......

ReputationRep:
    Looks at clubs and societies too, generally a good way to get to know people with at least on similar interest.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.