Turn on thread page Beta

Freshers Flu... worth seeing a doctor? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been running a fever on and off for 5 days. I've largely been stuck in my room during that time with a splitting headache, and shivering.

No one else in my halls is that ill, so I was wondering if anyone else is having a similarly disappointing experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would day it's worth seeing a doctor, they may want you to ring them first as you might have swine flu and they wouldn't want you coming into the practise, as you might infect vunerable people.

But for most people freshers flu is a bad cold/sore throat/cough

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like normal flu whereas freshers flu isn't flu-like at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Sounds like normal flu whereas freshers flu isn't flu-like at all.
    Screw misnomers.

Alright, I'll give it another day and then call.

ReputationRep:
    Probably normal flu or swine flu...that's not freshers' flu. Freshers' flu is basically a cold and a hangover combined...you'll feel miserable for a couple of days but after that you should be right as rain, and there's no noticeable fever. Check out the national swine flu website or whatever it is or call your GP or NHS Direct.

ReputationRep:
    It's not freshers' flu, you've got something else!

Freshers' flu is due to the sudden exposure to new people which means new germs which your body's not used to - it's your bodies way of adjusting to the change. It should only last for a few days however.

I'm pretty certain that what I've had for the last few days is not freshers' flu but a seperate virus. It was more serious than the average fresher symptons e.g. One morning I was so dizzy I had trouble standing.

In short, it's definately worth seeing a doctor, if you're still curious - phone them up, tell them what's wrong and they'll give you a second opinion.

Get well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Screw misnomers.

Alright, I'll give it another day and then call.
    I had what you have now and got better after a week. Keep well hydrated, rested and warm if you can't be bothered going to the docs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've had that, though replace shivering with nausea. (Mind, I've shivered a bit, albeit not constantly.)

I've just been having plenty of fluids and lemsip and ibuprofen. Unfortunately I've lectures today. Really, it's up to you... I've not gone to the doctor yet, but to be fair, I'm not registered yet. :p: Even so, only you can tell whether you would go to the doctor or not. I've a habit of leaving it until it's desperately necessary to visit.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.