Does anyone know of any student accounts for people with bad credit?? Watch

bex1986
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm having a lot of trouble finding a bank that will let me have a student account because i have a bad credit history. Just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation or whether anyone knows of any banks that will accept people with a less than perfect credit score.
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have you tried Natwest?

My credit history isn't the best and I still managed to open a student account with them
bex1986
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have just tried an online application and it was refused . I really wanted that one as well for the rail card! I think i'm better off making an appointment and going in and speaking to someone about it and getting down on my knees and begging if they say no lol
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's a good idea. Talk to a student advisor in a branch and explain your situation. If you have a student loan/grant coming in, you should be able to open an account.

Good luck with it
gamer91
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
there is a reason natwest, now really is national westminster bank, and it seems they dont seem very keen to change their old ways, go into a branch and see what they say.
sandettielightvessel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, go to the branch - although the credit checking itself may be a very "computer-says-no" process, the staff may be able to suggest other things. Many banks offer basic accounts for people with bad credit histories - obviously there's no overdraft facility, but it gives basic banking facilities.
Alex the Lad
Report 9 years ago
I've got a Student Account with Natwest with despite a poor credit history. Best advice is to go in and talk to an adviser. However if they still refuse to give you a student account then open a basic STEP account and then perhaps after a few months you could ask to be upgraded to a student account. My experience suggests that once you are a customer with Natwest they look more favourably on you in terms of credit scoring.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (277)
45.26%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (182)
29.74%
I don't have an opinion (153)
25%

Watched Threads