Turn on thread page Beta

Can I apply to a Uni without my parents finding out? watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents want me to go to Cardiff and only Cardiff so I can stay at home during University but I really really feel the need to get out of this house before they drive me told drive me insane.

However, I doubt I'll get a Uni offer the way I'm heading - I'm making myself a new year revelution to turn my life around and stop this downward sprial/slump I'm in before it takes me over. I hope it works because I'm already getting depressed and I hate it.

What I want to know is if I apply to say Cardiff (for my parents sake), then places like Exeter (yes I'm considering it, Ollie, Katy and everyone else there) would my parents be able to do anything to stop me?

PS My friend (best friend of the guy I fancy and brother of my best friend) got an offer from Exter, he opened the letter while I was there (visiting my best friend for the first time in her house) and he had an offer of 300 points.

ReputationRep:
    with as big a decision as uni, is it really wise to do what your parents want you to do, and not what YOU want?

cardiff seems ok, but then so does exeter etc (i've been to both), and there aint a great deal your parents can do, if your moving away, they just won;t do your washing for you when you come home

time for life, girl, not your parents lives!

ReputationRep:
    Well I filled in my application at school so the parents didnt know. You get to make 6 choices and seeing as there arent 6 unis in Wales your parents have got to expect you to apply elsewhere. Put cardiff as an option see what grades you get offered and then maybe use that as an excuse not to pick it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Well I filled in my application at school so the parents didnt know. You get to make 6 choices and seeing as there arent 6 unis in Wales your parents have got to expect you to apply elsewhere. Put cardiff as an option see what grades you get offered and then maybe use that as an excuse not to pick it.
    are there really less than 6 uni's in wales? blimey

good advice tho

ReputationRep:
    mind you i take it u are expecting your parents to pay for your uni tuition fees? or contribute to your living expenses...

ReputationRep:
    You'd be screwed when you actually get into a uni and your folks have to send you there... I told my folks of my choices after I sent the form, and they only cared about Cambridge being on the form. Fools. But at least they know my backups, so no complaints.

ReputationRep:
    Why are they so keen on your staying home while you go to uni? Isn't that rather overprotective of them? The vast majority of students move away from home to go to university, ask them why they don't think it's a good idea. Anyway, you get 6 choices, and it would be foolish to only apply to one - what if you didn't get into Cardiff, what would they do then? Find out what their thinking is - I can't understand it.

ReputationRep:
    You can apply, but make sure you keep a keen eye on the post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Why are they so keen on your staying home while you go to uni? Isn't that rather overprotective of them?
    I think her dad wants to make sure she don't turn lesbian...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Why are they so keen on your staying home while you go to uni? Isn't that rather overprotective of them? The vast majority of students move away from home to go to university, ask them why they don't think it's a good idea. Anyway, you get 6 choices, and it would be foolish to only apply to one - what if you didn't get into Cardiff, what would they do then? Find out what their thinking is - I can't understand it.

They do seem very protective by the sound of it. And it is the first time she has been to her best friends house so maybe they rarely let her out on her own either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    I think her dad wants to make sure she don't turn lesbian...
    huh??

ReputationRep:
    Actually there are (*counts*) about 10ish.

Anyway, so far my choices go (but I have to revise this because of the crap grades I'm predicted.)

1. Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
    2. Cardiff
    3. Exeter
    4. Bangor
    5. God Knows
    6. The Uni of A Made Up Name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    huh??
    Sorry old joke, did you read the thread where some guy ripped off a Sun agony aunt letter about his daughter turning gay?

The first time my parents actually became aware of where I had applied was when I got my information pack from Notts after I got my offer. At this point they felt inclined to ask where I was off to next year.........maybe I should have mentioned it before?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    [COLOR=seagreen]Actually there are (*counts*) about 10ish.

Anyway, so far my choices go (but I have to revise this because of the crap grades I'm predicted.)

2. Cardiff
    3. Exeter
    4. Bangor
    5. God Knows

Why are you so worried about your grade predictions? If you put the effort in you can pull your grades up. Dont get depressed about it just put in more effort and you will succeed!

ReputationRep:
    Just get to the postbox before they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_d)
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Actually there are (*counts*) about 10ish.

2. Cardiff
    3. Exeter
    4. Bangor
    5. God Knows
    **gasp** Royal Welsh? thats my first choice too! have you been on the open day, wasn't it great?! OMG OMG OMG! lol, j/k

whens ur audition? mines on thursday, sh*tting one already, but got my speeches ready!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_d)
    I think AMG should set up an A_Musical_Party...

ReputationRep:
    hehe ok guys

My parents want me to stay home so it doesn't cost as much. If I stay at home, I can get through Uni debt free because of a bond I open in June which will come to value of £4500ish on my 18th birthday.
    If my parents refused to pay for my living costs then I would not care, I'd just get a little job to help pay the bills.

Also, they except me to resit my A levels then re-apply to Cardiff if I didn't get in!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.