Turn on thread page Beta

Can I apply to a Uni without my parents finding out? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Sorry old joke, did you read the thread where some guy ripped off a Sun agony aunt letter about his daughter turning gay?
    Its just me being thick.
    Are you just looking to do straight music?

How many a musical... do we have now? Its crazy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    **gasp** Royal Welsh? thats my first choice too! have you been on the open day, wasn't it great?! OMG OMG OMG! lol, j/k

whens ur audition? mines on thursday, sh*tting one already, but got my speeches ready!
    I'm only in Year 12

ReputationRep:
    I really do think you need to sit down with your parents and put the foot down. Then be sure to have a pillow handy for when they knock you off your feet. Yet the point remains that you will have made your opinion known. You're obviously old enough to make your mind up about things, and if they want to do whats best for you as parents, then they should feel obliged to encourage you, and support you in your choices.

Its just something to think about anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked out the league table for ideas?
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...665245,00.html

I dont know if Aberystwyth does a full music degree, it does some modules but its crap for music so dont think of that. Bangor isnt too bad my friend used to have a lot to do with their music dept when she was at uni.

Edit: what the heck happened then, it only posted half of my post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    hehe ok guys

My parents want me to stay home so it doesn't cost as much. If I stay at home, I can get through Uni debt free because of a bond I open in June which will come to value of £4500ish on my 18th birthday.
    If my parents refused to pay for my living costs then I would not care, I'd just get a little job to help pay the bills.
    Yeah, you could get through debt free, but at what cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I really do think you need to sit down with your parents and put the foot down. Then be sure to have a pillow handy for when they knock you off your feet. Yet the point remains that you will have made your opinion known. You're obviously old enough to make your mind up about things, and if they want to do whats best for you as parents, then they should feel obliged to encourage you, and support you in your choices.

Its just something to think about anyway.
    And have your bags packed and ready, homelessness is hard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yeah, you could get through debt free, but at what cost?
    good point! think of all the nwe cool people you wouldn't meet, all the new places you;d never see / live, think of all the moving out you wouldn't do! everyone has debt, and everyone deals with it - it can't be THAT hard?!

(ah, yr. 12, good luuck anyway if you do apply)

ReputationRep:
    And have your bags packed and ready, homelessness is hard...

Theyll probably say you are under my roof and can live by my rules and if you dont like it you know where the door is! Then you will have to live on the streets!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    good point! think of all the nwe cool people you wouldn't meet, all the new places you;d never see / live, think of all the moving out you wouldn't do! everyone has debt, and everyone deals with it - it can't be THAT hard?!

(ah, yr. 12, good luuck anyway if you do apply)

You don't think you even have to pay off the debt anyway until you find a job that pays £12 000+ per annum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maskall.)
    Theyll probably say you are under my roof and can live by my rules and if you dont like it you know where the door is! Then you will have to live on the streets!
    Hmm that's sort of what I meant...
    You could play the card that the University of <insert choice> is the xth best uni (where x is a one-digit integer) for your subject. A lot of parents are quite ignorant about that sort of thing...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm that's sort of what I meant...
    You could play the card that the University of <insert choice> is the xth best uni (where x is a one-digit integer) for your subject. A lot of parents are quite ignorant about that sort of thing...

Yeah but then you just say fine and move out and get a bedsit.

ReputationRep:
    *pull chart countdown music on* and we have a new entry on the "Where is A Musical Gal going to study Music?" at 4 and pushing Bangor to no. 5, yes ladies and gentlemen we have the Uni Sussex with BBB. *stops music*

If I work hard I might actually make this but I'm predicted an A in music for AS so we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    One way to apply to uni without your parents findimg out would be to....

KILL THEM

MUHAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    One way to apply to uni without your parents finding out would be to....

KILL THEM

MUHAHAHA
    thats cruel, lol,

musical gal. i think tho you should make it clear to your parents its your decision. its going to be 3 years of your life and you should be comfortable with where u go, even if it means moving away.

cardiff however is good for music (if i remember rightly) so it is a sound uni to apply to. but keep your options open, put your foot down....

ReputationRep:
    MattG is right, you should put your foot down! It's stupid to be sly and apply for other universities behind your parents back because when they find out theyre going to be twice as upset (or :mad: lol) that youre not just refusing to go to Cardiff but you also tricked them! You should choose whichever is the more reasonable parent and talk to them about it one to one, but be really firm and make it clear that you do want to leave home. Of course this would have nothing to do with any wish to get drunk, shag do drugs blahdeblah but is simply because you feel ready to take the next step towards being a responsible and independent adult! :rolleyes: And could even the most overprotective parent object to that? And maybe some reassurance about the frequency of weekend visits back home would help too.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, good advice people, however, you have never met my parents - let's just say all the boys in my school are teriffied of coming anywhere near them.

I'm trying buttering them up and be a little angel until my AS results then drop the bombshell. Not staying on the internet until midnight when my parents think I'm sleeping will help to. oh s*it - that is what I'm doing right now! Better go....

Love

The_One_and_Only_A_Musical_Gal

ps I have a few surprises for you lot coming soon!! Beware!!

ReputationRep:
    I've just done my UCAS form and picked
    1-UKC
    2-Essex
    3-Surrey Roehampton
    4-Luton
    5-De Montfort
    6-Leicester

My parents only took me to the open day for UKC and they expect me to go there..however it all depends on if they accept me. If UKC dont accept me then i'm gonna have to see what uni's do accept me. You could always tell your parents that Cardiff did not accept you and blame it on ur teachers refrences! lol

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. The support of parents isn't to be underestimated and uni will be a lot harder if you don't have their support. Having said that, I have my heart set on London which my mum thinks is ludicrously expensive and a horrible place.

I dont know you/your parents but I'm quite sure that they wont actually disown you if money gets tight!! Try not to stress out about it because things need to be taken into consideration first such as if you get offers from cardiff first and such..then I'd start to worry if I was you.

Seriously - this time in year 12 i was looking at webdesign and now I've applied for english - a lot will change after a year!!

And a final point : there's no point in not telling your parents where you are applying. They will find out eventually so you may as well be honest from the start. Mind you, u still have like, a year til the start so just wait & see what happens!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I agree with fi - its impossible to know now exactly what you will be doing this time next year - I changed my mind about what i wanted to study after going to an Oxbridge HE convention in the spring of year 12. The same applies to where you want to study. Your parents have probably been scared by horror stories in the media about the price of university, but try explaining your financial plans to them. At the end of the day, your choice of course is more important than your choice of institution and you might find that Cardiff does not offer the course you want. Maybe you could mention the fact that you feel you need the chance to be able to mature by yourself and this would involve living away from home. I wouldn't worry about it just yet though - your rents may feel differently when they find out more about how the systm actually works.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    My parents couldn't wait for me to go to university!

Well obviously they miss me, but they encouraged me to apply to university and really didn't mind where I went as long as I was happy and I liked where I applied. I'm even (hopefully) going to Canada in my 3rd year so its not as if they can come and visit for a weekend can they?! THey are counting down the days til they get rid of my bro as well (he will go to uni the same year I begin my 4th and last year)!!!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.