Turn on thread page Beta

Can I apply to a Uni without my parents finding out? watch

Announcements

(Original post by a_musical_gal)
    My parents want me to go to Cardiff and only Cardiff so I can stay at home during University but I really really feel the need to get out of this house before they drive me told drive me insane.

However, I doubt I'll get a Uni offer the way I'm heading - I'm making myself a new year revelution to turn my life around and stop this downward sprial/slump I'm in before it takes me over. I hope it works because I'm already getting depressed and I hate it.

What I want to know is if I apply to say Cardiff (for my parents sake), then places like Exeter (yes I'm considering it, Ollie, Katy and everyone else there) would my parents be able to do anything to stop me?

PS My friend (best friend of the guy I fancy and brother of my best friend) got an offer from Exter, he opened the letter while I was there (visiting my best friend for the first time in her house) and he had an offer of 300 points.
    Parents can't stop you. My mum wanted me to go to Nottingham so that i could go live with her (i lived with my gran at the time) and go by train to uni, but there was no way in hell i'd be doing that. I mean, every morning you went to the lectures you'd hear stories of the great time everyone else had last night!
    J

ReputationRep:
    Just apply with your six unis and if you dont fancy cardiff, just send the uni a letter after your application asking them to reject your offer as you dont want to go there (or have a better offer if you want to sound good) and then you'll have a rejection from cardiff on your ucas thing to show your parents and you'll have no choice but to go to another uni.

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to Exeter if I decide to do Accountancy instead of Music because it is extremely good there! The mods have nothing to do with it!

ickle_katy (you'll understand this better than non-ponty or near by area people) - I got into Kenneth Lewis Accountants for my Work Exp.

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to do accounting it might be worth considering not going to uni. My friend started work straight after sixth form and was earning 25 grand whilst I was still on peanuts. She then did a part time uni degree and has a first in that so she is in a great situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    I want to go to Exeter if I decide to do Accountancy instead of Music because it is extremely good there! The mods have nothing to do with it!

ickle_katy (you'll understand this better than non-ponty or near by area people) - I got into Kenneth Lewis Accountants for my Work Exp.

cool, i wish id done work ex in an accountants now...instead of techniquest...

i got lots of mates who do accounting as part of their business degree down here, and a few do it with maths.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think your mum isnt going to let you you home in the holidays, Musical Gal? From your earlier post on this thread it sounds like her worst threat is only not to give you money if you end up in trouble. Will you get a full loan do you think? If you do youll easily be able to manage with a little part time job - think about going to universities in less expensive towns though, especially avoid London!
    Im sure your mum will let you home - she wants to see u doesnt she?

ReputationRep:
    Can I just point out cos i just noticed I have neg rep for this thread. To the person that neg repped me for saying that there are less than 6 uns in wales. i was talking in regards to music which AMG is talking about doing.
    Aber do music modules but not a music degree, neither do Lampeter, so you would have less than 6 music choices in Wales which you could put on your UCAS form.
    There are also several higher education institutions and university colleges but the only institutions that actually count as proper uni status in Wales are
    Aber,Bangor, Cardiff , Lampeter and Swansea and I guess the University of Glamorgan too.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If we're going to get technical Aber, Bangor, Lampeter and Swansea are all college of the University of Wales - and therefore only count once. Glamorgan and Cardiff are the only other HE institutions in Wales with dergee awarding powers (and Cardiff was always University of Wales, Cardiff until a yr or so ago) so there are only 3 universities in Wales.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.