Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So im doing intermediate 2 English, and my personal study's first draft is due in two and a half weeks time.

The book im doing is 'The Resurrectionist' by James Bradley.
    I know what to do for my plot summary, but what im stuck on is my topic question, which the whole essay is about. I was wanting to focus on how the author's literary techniques help to make the book more gory, dark and gothic, but i wasn't sure how to describe the techniques used etc.

My teacher recommended two things.

1) The literary techniques used - Theme, and imagery used for setting and character.
    2) 'Show how the theme of evil in human nature is portrayed in 'The Resurrectionist' through the character of '___' and the setting, method of narration etc."

I wasn't too sure about both of these ideas, but maybe would be after some altering.

Anyway, to the question, and help will be very very appreciated. If anyone has any knowledge of doing a personal study on this book, then can you suggest a topic question, and, if possible, perhaps some quotes that i can use to back this up?

Any help will be soooooo appreciated. :woo:
    Thanks for your help. (:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would suggest going with your teacher's recommendations as they don't seem bad at all. I haven't actually read the book though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, the only thing i was stuck on though was the imagery for setting and character.

Anyone else got any advice? :woo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ArtificiallyWarped)
    Thanks, the only thing i was stuck on though was the imagery for setting and character.

Anyone else got any advice? :woo:
    What are you stuck on for imagery?

ReputationRep:
    Well, i understand how the language used helps to make the book more gothic/gory etc, but i wasn't too sure how to comment on the imagery for setting and character.

I mean, the book is in Victorian London, so obviously that is going to be dark and scary, so i can find out how to write about the setting, commenting on that. I'm really stuck on character though. There is a character, the man who teaches his apprentices how to cut up bodies etc, and he is a very philosophical man, but i don't understand how imagery is used for that.

Perhaps if i done, imagery used for setting and theme, and just comment on the characters?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well, i understand how the language used helps to make the book more gothic/gory etc, but i wasn't too sure how to comment on the imagery for setting and character.

I mean, the book is in Victorian London, so obviously that is going to be dark and scary, so i can find out how to write about the setting, commenting on that. I'm really stuck on character though. There is a character, the man who teaches his apprentices how to cut up bodies etc, and he is a very philosophical man, but i don't understand how imagery is used for that.

Perhaps if i done, imagery used for setting and theme, and just comment on the characters?
    If you do the question you previously stated then you can't just comment on the characters as that wouldn't relate to the question and will risk you failing. If I'd have read the book this would be a hell of a lot easier.
    An example from To Kill A Mockingbird:
    'rain-rotted shingles drooped' (description of Arthur Radley's house) - personification and the ambiguous image creates an ominous tone which mirrors the characterisation of Arthur Radley: 'malevolent phantom' which is also emphasised through his ghostly nickname 'Boo'.
    This one description contributes to character and setting but here's one that just contributes to character:
    'Calphurnia's hand was as wide as a bed slat and twice as hard.'
    If you can identify the descriptions which reveal character then just comment on them how you would comment on something in an analysis question in the close reading (connotation, denotation) like the first example I gave.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much =D
    So, to confirm..

What should my topic question be?
    Just so i can have it confirmed =D

Thank you again, greatly appreciated.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you very much =D
    So, to confirm..

What should my topic question be?
    Just so i can have it confirmed =D

Thank you again, greatly appreciated.
    "A study of the literary techniques used by (author) to explore the theme of (evil???) in (novel)"...or something like that.
    Then you could talk about setting, imagery/tone, characterisation, narration etc; all literary techniques. Again I haven't read the book so I'm just going by your description so check this suggestion out and don't just take my word for it. :p:

If you went with this question, then do for essay structure: intro with plot summary; setting(how imagery contributes to setting mentioned here); characterisation (probably the guy you mentioned eariler); method of narration; (symbolism if there is any?)...or something along thoses lines is my suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your help :'D
    Hopefully ill have it all sorted, done & dusted in time. xD
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you very much for your help :'D
    Hopefully ill have it all sorted, done & dusted in time. xD
    You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so here is my essay plan.

"James Bradley uses a variety of literary techniques to explore the philosophical theme of evil in human nature and to make the book 'The Ressurectionist' an inspirational and unforgettable piece of work."

Essay structure:

Intro - Introduce question.

Plot Summary - Summarize the book.

First Body Para - Literary technique commenting on - SETTING. Example - How the setting is creepy etc, therefore making the evil/goriness in the novel more prominent, and therefore making the theme more noticeable.

Second Body Para - Literary technique commenting on - CHARACTERISATION. Example - First apprentice, philosophical character, his views and ideas show us the philosophical side of the novels theme in more depth.

*Talk about both points in depth, example, roughly 3 paragraphs for each.*

Conclusion - Sum up how the writers literary technique's used help to portray the theme of evil in human nature and make the novel in inspirational and effective piece of work.

*Note* - i decided to do only two literary techniques, as i thought that talking about them in depth rather than using multiple techniques would be more effective. Also, i found that the two i picked are the most important of techniques used.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ok, so here is my essay plan.

"James Bradley uses a variety of literary techniques to explore the philosophical theme of evil in human nature and to make the book 'The Ressurectionist' an inspirational and unforgettable piece of work."

Essay structure:

Plot Summary - Summarize the book.

First Body Para - Literary technique commenting on - SETTING. Example - How the setting is creepy etc, therefore making the evil/goriness in the novel more prominent, and therefore making the theme more noticeable.

Second Body Para - Literary technique commenting on - CHARACTERISATION. Example - First apprentice, philosophical character, his views and ideas show us the philosophical side of the novels theme in more depth.

*Talk about both points in depth, example, roughly 3 paragraphs for each.*

Conclusion - Sum up how the writers literary technique's used help to portray the theme of evil in human nature and make the novel in inspirational and effective piece of work.

*Note* - i decided to do only two literary techniques, as i thought that talking about them in depth rather than using multiple techniques would be more effective. Also, i found that the two i picked are the most important of techniques used.
    What's the bit in quotation marks at the top for? What is your question you've decided on?
    Plot summary has to be very short.
    I would say do one paragraph for each literary technique so the structure is coherent. If you were talking about setting, you wouldn't need more than one paragraph as the topic under discussion isn't changing. So my advice would be to do 3 literary techniques minimum and explore them in-depth with one paragraph each. The two points that you are proposing aren't sufficient enough. The conclusion seems fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the bit in quotation marks is the question.
    Oh right, thanks, i'll need to brainstorm/find some more literary techniques then :')
    thank you :'D
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, the bit in quotation marks is the question.
    Oh right, thanks, i'll need to brainstorm/find some more literary techniques then :')
    thank you :'D
    You'll have to reword the question then.

"A study of the literary techniques James Bradley uses to explore the theme of evil in human nature in 'The Ressurectionist' (and the impact the exploration of this theme has on enhancing the reader's understanding of the text as a whole.) would be sufficient enough. (the bit in brackets is optional but would make a nice addition).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you again, your help is greatly appreciated.

"James Bradley uses a variety of literary techniques to explore the theme of evil in human nature in 'The Ressurectionist.' The exploration of this theme effectively enhances the readers understanding of the text as a whole."

^^ is my topic question.
    I will post here to let you know the third literary technique i will be studying, i'll just need to some deeper studying of the book. Obviously, the technique will need to help us understand the theme. (:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you again, your help is greatly appreciated.

"James Bradley uses a variety of literary techniques to explore the theme of evil in human nature in 'The Ressurectionist.' The exploration of this theme effectively enhances the readers understanding of the text as a whole."

^^ is my topic question.
    I will post here to let you know the third literary technique i will be studying, i'll just need to some deeper studying of the book. Obviously, the technique will need to help us understand the theme. (:
    :facepalm: For the actual question it needs to be worded AS a question, so what you're proposing is more like a statement (something that you would put in your intro?) than a question. So...

"A study of the literary techniques James Bradley uses to explore the theme of evil in human nature in 'The Ressurectionist' and the impact the exploration of this theme has on enhancing the reader's understanding of the text as a whole.

Would be better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm now kind of completely lost.
    What i had in question was what you recommended, but worded different.

Does it need to be worded as a question or a statement?
    The one you entered last is good, but i can't put it like that into my essay.

Urghh, sorry, can you explain?
    :/

Sorry..

ReputationRep:
    "A study of the literary techniques James Bradley uses to explore the theme of evil in human nature in 'The Ressurectionist' and the impact the exploration of this theme has on enhancing the reader's understanding of the text as a whole."

Essay structure:

Plot Summary - Briefly Summarize the book.

Third Body Para - Literary technique commenting on - FIND THIRD TECHNIQUE.

Conclusion - Sum up how the writers literary technique's used help to portray the theme of evil in human nature and make the novel in inspirational and effective piece of work

^^ Is that any better? :')
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    "A study of the literary techniques James Bradley uses to explore the theme of evil in human nature in 'The Ressurectionist' and the impact the exploration of this theme has on enhancing the reader's understanding of the text as a whole."

Essay structure:

Plot Summary - Briefly Summarize the book.

Third Body Para - Literary technique commenting on - FIND THIRD TECHNIQUE.

Conclusion - Sum up how the writers literary technique's used help to portray the theme of evil in human nature and make the novel in inspirational and effective piece of work

^^ Is that any better? :')
    This is perfect. :cool: Just finding another literary technique to comment on is the only thing. :yep: Some examples for thought: narrative, symbolism, structure, climax, plot, dialogue.

As for the question thing, if you PM me your email address, I can send you the first bit of one of my essays at higher to show you how you're meant to set it out and how the question is incorporated into the introduction.

Also, here are two prose questions from this year's Int 2 paper to see how the questions are worded in the actual exam.

4. Choose a novel or a short story in which a character is in conflict with his or her friends
    or relatives or society.
    Show how the conflict arises and what effect it has on the character’s fate in the novel
    or short story as a whole.

5. Choose a novel or a short story which deals with the effects of evil or war or deceit or a
    breakdown in society or a breakdown in relationship(s).
    Show how any of these negative pressures affects the main character in the novel or
    short story and go on to show whether or not she or he tackles it successfully

The bit I've put in bold shows how it is worded as a question/task and not just a statement. This is how your question should be worded but with the book and author stated as well instead of the "choose a novel" bit from the questions here.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you :')
    Email now Pm'd xD

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.