Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I'm starting on the Adult Diploma course at Sheffield Hallam in January 2010. I'm just really wondering what to expect, how many hours of lectures you are scheduled for per week?, what sort of placements you go to? what sort of dates are the holidays? What is the Uni like for student support etc? I've got a little boy and whilst child care won't be a problem (due to fantastic Grandparents!) it would still be nice to know what I'm letting myself in for.

Also I'm really excited so would love to hear from other people starting in 2010 so I can share the excitement!

Thanks,

Jess x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessbrown100)
    Hi All,

I'm starting on the Adult Diploma course at Sheffield Hallam in January 2010. I'm just really wondering what to expect, how many hours of lectures you are scheduled for per week?, what sort of placements you go to? what sort of dates are the holidays? What is the Uni like for student support etc? I've got a little boy and whilst child care won't be a problem (due to fantastic Grandparents!) it would still be nice to know what I'm letting myself in for.

Also I'm really excited so would love to hear from other people starting in 2010 so I can share the excitement!

Thanks,

Jess x
    Hey, when did you have your interview? i start in Jan 2010 too, got a 2 year old daughter- did you know they pay 85% of childcare fees so if you wanted to put him in nursery a couple of days then you get it funded! I have to put her in nursery quite a lot but grandparents and her auntie are helping out too!!
    App there will be one possibly 2 nights a week where we will be there till 7-8pm and the lectures are sometimes stupid like 9am-11.30am then back in at 5pm-7pm with huge gaps. The first 6 months is fully uni time then placements after then, and i beleive our holidays will be around xmas time, not normal school hols in july as they are for sep intake!
    App the uni is good but resources are low, app the library is fab but you have to order your books to guarantee them, and you can only keep them a week. you can take your own laptop and use wireless internet if you wanted too!!
    Im so excited, i cant wait!! what do you do now??
    Jen x

ReputationRep:
    Hi Izzysmummy :wavey:

I did my interview on the last Friday of August (29th I think). Those lecture hours sound like hard work, especially since I live in Doncaster so I'll be hanging around at the Uni all day! Nevermind, I'm sure I'll manage.

Thanks for the info on the Child care. I might think about it when he's a little bit older but at the minute it's so convenient having two sets of Grandparents wanting to have him!

Currently, I'm a NVQ Assessor in Health and Social Care. I've only been doing it since April and I HATE it. Before that I was a Support Worker/ Assistant Team Manager at a Residential College for adults with Autism/ Learning Difficulties/ Challenging Behaviours.

How about you?

Jess x

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!

I'm also starting adult nursing in jan 2010 at shef hallam, i think my interview was on the same friday of august.

I also have a little boy, he's 1 now - so i'm very interested if you know anything about childcare as i believe he will have to attend full time as his grandparents and my husband both work . Do you know any more info on the 85% childcare fees that they supposedly help with, there is very little on the SHU website to go on!!

Thanks!! x

ReputationRep:
    Hiya everyone!

I'm thinking of doing the nursing diploma, but I'm wondering if you need any A levels?

Thanks

x

ReputationRep:
    Hiya everyone!

I'm thinking of doing the nursing diploma, but I'm wondering if you need any A levels?

Thanks

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessbrown100)
    Hi Izzysmummy :wavey:

I did my interview on the last Friday of August (29th I think). Those lecture hours sound like hard work, especially since I live in Doncaster so I'll be hanging around at the Uni all day! Nevermind, I'm sure I'll manage.

Thanks for the info on the Child care. I might think about it when he's a little bit older but at the minute it's so convenient having two sets of Grandparents wanting to have him!

Currently, I'm a NVQ Assessor in Health and Social Care. I've only been doing it since April and I HATE it. Before that I was a Support Worker/ Assistant Team Manager at a Residential College for adults with Autism/ Learning Difficulties/ Challenging Behaviours.

How about you?

Jess x

Hey,
    Im an auxiliary nurse at the min at barnsley hospital, working just nights mainly at the minute :-(
    Good that you have all that support for your little one! My mum and stepdad and my sister are gonna help out a lot but thats as far as my care will stretch and they all work full time so thats why she will have to be in nursery! she goes 2 1/2 days now and she loves it so im not worried- just gonna miss her!!

You excited to get started? have you had any info like about plans for the year and that yet?? huddersfield have got all there lists for exams, holidays etc......

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacey1984)
    Hiya!

I'm also starting adult nursing in jan 2010 at shef hallam, i think my interview was on the same friday of august.

I also have a little boy, he's 1 now - so i'm very interested if you know anything about childcare as i believe he will have to attend full time as his grandparents and my husband both work . Do you know any more info on the 85% childcare fees that they supposedly help with, there is very little on the SHU website to go on!!

Thanks!! x
    Hiya,
    I have applied for the childcare part. The only way you can know what you will get is by applying. They take into consideration child maintainence and if you have a partner who gets working tax credits because if you get working tax you have to claim childcare from tax credits i believe.
    I claim childcare at the minute from working tax credits so until i stop (which wont be until just before i start at uni) they wont tell me a def yes answer i have to prove im only getting child tax credits first. So if you are claiming working tax credits assuming cos you said your hubby works then you would probably have to claim it from them
    0845 358 6655 thats the student bursary number for nhs give them a call and find out for def!

Hope it all goes well
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazstar)
    Hiya everyone!

Thanks

x
    Hi
    I dont have A levels but i have NVQ3 in childcare and im experienced as and Auxiliary nurse for 12 months (with any NVQ3 and nursing experience you should get in) If not then you would need A levels or you can do an access to health care course through most colleges.

Hope that helps
    x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That helps :woo:

x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 8, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.