Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to share some thoughts on this IB buisness in general. I'm in my final year and have just sent off my ucas application. And I have a tremendous gut feeling that I won't get into any uni. It makes me so mad! I wonder if any of my fellow IBers here on TSR has had similar thoughts - that IB took away two years of our lives and gave nothing in reward? Cheers, Anna

ReputationRep:
    it got me into LSE

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you, at least you got something out of it
    But I don't think this will be the case with me, and probably lots of other people as well...

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it does you no favours in terms of increasing your chances of getting in uni, but it may make things significantly easier once you're in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svefngenglar)
    it may make things significantly easier once you're in.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    why?
    It gets you used to an intense work routine so you tend to cope better with the learning style at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think you won't get anything from it?

ReputationRep:
    It gets you used to an intense work routine so you tend to cope better with the learning style at uni.
    I would need to see some backup to support such a bold claim.
    I did 5 A-levels, felt perfectly at ease with the workload at university, received a first and then did post grad.

I beleive that the rumour that the IB is better preparation is a fallacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    I did 5 A-levels, felt perfectly at ease with the workload at university, received a first and then did post grad.

To be fair though, most people who do A-Levels don't do 5. But, everyone does six at I.B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)

I'm hardly writing a thesis here, this is just the impression fellow ex-IBers I talk to have when compared to their A-level peers. That said, doing 5 A-levels is hardly the norm, and I'm sure most will agree the workload involved in an IB diploma is more significant than that in a 3 A-level system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toblerone93)
    To be fair though, most people who do A-Levels don't do 5. But, everyone does six at I.B
    Whilst this amy be the case, a statement that suggests that IB students are empowered to cope better needs some backup.
    The vast majority of students at university enter through the A-level route, they cope just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)

*Backed up* by me from what I've been told from teachers and career counsellors for the last 3 years. Also, I too have friends at university that are having an easier time than they expected compared to A level friends.

I suppose at the high end of the spectrum students are more self motivated so what preparation is taken for uni won't matter so much. For the vast majority of people that do 3 A levels and come out with average grades, I'd expect that someone who gets an average IB score would be better prepared for university because the diploma program is more rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NastasyaFilipovna)
    I just wanted to share some thoughts on this IB buisness in general. I'm in my final year and have just sent off my ucas application. And I have a tremendous gut feeling that I won't get into any uni. It makes me so mad! I wonder if any of my fellow IBers here on TSR has had similar thoughts - that IB took away two years of our lives and gave nothing in reward? Cheers, Anna
    I know how you feel

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is making you think this? I'd like to bet very strongly you'll get some offers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzicsfiend)
    *Backed up* by me from what I've been told from teachers and career counsellors for the last 3 years. Also, I too have friends at university that are having an easier time than they expected compared to A level friends.

I suppose at the high end of the spectrum students are more self motivated so what preparation is taken for uni won't matter so much. For the vast majority of people that do 3 A levels and come out with average grades, I'd expect that someone who gets an average IB score would be better prepared for university because the diploma program is more rigorous.
    I am afraid that your limited experience counts for nothing when attempting to justify a statement that may well be incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure most will agree the workload involved in an IB diploma is more significant than that in a 3 A-level system.
    The fact that you have a heavier workload does not have an influence on the quality of work produced, nor does it suggest a superior stance on managing said work; how preposterous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    The fact that you have a heavier workload does not have an influence on the quality of work produced, nor does it suggest a superior stance on managing said work; how preposterous.
    Fine, I made an unverified, opinionated claim on the TSR. How idiotic of me to presume I wouldn't be hounded by an anally retentive TSRer.

ReputationRep:
    Fine, I made an unverified, opinionated claim on the TSR. How idiotic of me to presume I wouldn't be hounded by an anally retentive TSRer.
    I must confess that I don't care much for the cut of your jib.
    I quite simply asked for a source; there wasn't one. There is nothing to be gained by the sullen folly that you now bring forth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    I am afraid that your limited experience counts for nothing when attempting to justify a statement that may well be incorrect.
    Okay...Your post basically ignores my points, and establishes that they aren't even worth considering based on nothing whatsoever.

First of all, why? Surely some experience is better than none.
    Second, how can you even know my experience is limited? You're so quick to condescend, yet you know next to nothing about me.

Did you read the second paragraph in that post, or just the first? :o:
    Point out the flaw in my reasoning, if there is any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzicsfiend)
    Okay...Your post basically ignores my points, and establishes that they aren't even worth considering based on nothing whatsoever.

First of all, why? Surely some experience is better than none.
    Second, how can you even know my experience is limited? You're so quick to condescend, yet you know next to nothing about me.

Did you read the second paragraph in that post, or just the first? :o:
    Point out the flaw in my reasoning, if there is any.
    I am rather busy and have little time. You stated yourself that your information was based on hearsay and was Secondary Data. That was enough not to encourage myself to read further.thank you.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.