Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just have a few questions about university exams/qualifications.

1. Am I right in thinking that universities write their own exams, and this is why a degree in the same subject from different universities can hold different worth?

1.1 I've heard that this doesn't apply to medicine, and that all medicine courses in Britain are regulated by the same people. Is this true, and are there other courses for which this is the case?

2. What about the University of London, do the seperate universities (Royal Holloway, King's etc.) make their own exams, or are they central to the whole University of London?

ReputationRep:
    1. Yes, along with different standards of teaching etc.

2. Yes, and I suspect it may also be the case for Dentistry and VetMed although I'm not entirely sure.

3. I would think separate exams for each university.

ReputationRep:
    A hell of a lot of subjects have external regulating bodies, such as Medicine as you have mentioned. Psychology has the BPS, for example.

I believe, generally, exams are produced internally but marked externally.

ReputationRep:
    Physics is the same, degrees have to have a certain content to get IoP accreditation, but each uni sets their own sylabus and exams. Also, universities do swap exam papers and stuff so everyone's keeping to the same standard

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers.

What's the point in the UoL if the different institutions don't share the syllabus and exams?

ReputationRep:
    University of london does regulate all the degrees that the universities hand out, although I don't believe the syallabus is the same at all institutions. I think the university of london exists because most of the universities within it only cover a relatively small number of courses and the colleges are quite small, mine only has 7000 odd students, so it provides them with funding for research and the universities share facilities such as senate house library and you can choose to stay in intercolegiate halls.

university of london should explain more.

ReputationRep:
    The syallbuses (or should that be syllabi?) are completely different at all the University of London institutions, as are the exams themselves and their marking styles. Quite literally the only thing the UOL is involved with is actually giving out the degrees, so if you grad from a UOL uni you'll get a degree from the University of London and not your respective uni, unless you go to LSE/Kings/UCL.

Basically the UOL is just a glorified book sharing club these days, especially so after LSE/Kings/UCL forced through their ability to award degrees in their own name rather then the UOL. It's a shame really because if the UOL acted as one uni just with different campuses it'd have the power to compete with Oxbridge quite easily.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.