Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I realize that a UK forum is probably not the best place to ask about this, but I thought I would try it anyways:

I've had a look at a few banks, and very few of them seem to explicitly offer short (8-10 weeks) internships that are not based in London. GS apparently does (they have a small paragraph on their website about internships being available in Zurich and Geneva), as do some others, although most places in continental Europe want people to intern for 3 months+.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff? Is it worth it? Is it rather going to be easier to get an internship elsewhere because there are fewer people applying or is it rather going to be harder since the summer interships are not really a big part of other offices, so they can be more selective about whether they want any interns at all?

ReputationRep:
    It's even more difficult than London. There are less places and you will be competing with guys coming from the local top unis and the guys who are "given" an internship just cuz they have very important internal contacts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    I realize that a UK forum is probably not the best place to ask about this, but I thought I would try it anyways:

I've had a look at a few banks, and very few of them seem to explicitly offer short (8-10 weeks) internships that are not based in London. GS apparently does (they have a small paragraph on their website about internships being available in Zurich and Geneva), as do some others, although most places in continental Europe want people to intern for 3 months+.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff? Is it worth it? Is it rather going to be easier to get an internship elsewhere because there are fewer people applying or is it rather going to be harder since the summer interships are not really a big part of other offices, so they can be more selective about whether they want any interns at all?
    Most will accept 3 months or some even less. And you can always negotiate. As the programmes are nto standardized, HR is a lot more flexible.
    But yes it is probably more competitive. When applying to the large banks, you'll have people with several relevant internships, from top unis from all over the world and very often with fluency in several languages.

If you can't get into London, you'll have jsut as much a tough time getting into regional offices.
    It is worth it. Havent really interned in London yet, but from what my colleagues who have interned in both places, i can tell you that you get a lot more interaction with senior bankers and have less hours working in regional offices. And since you are there for longer and those offices quite often rely on interns to do a lot of work (my team for example tries to have 3-4 interns at all times) you are better integrated in the team and get proper tasks instead of getting coffee or laundry of your superiors.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.