Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I want to do MEng in mechanical engineering from next year. When I check few universities websites it shows MSc for Postgraduate in Mechanical Engineering. Is that mean I don't have to do post graduate after completing my MEng?.. Thanks for help in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does. The MEng is equivalent to a BSc, say, followed by an MSc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreativeBetch)
    from my knowledge you don't have to pursue a postgraduate degree in engineering but the MEng and the MSc are not the same thing, you can choose to stop after your undergraduate degree and start your career and if you later decide you can then choose to do the postgraduate degree.

P.S. Most employers these days look at experience rather than the level of degrees but people with the postgraduate degree usually end up earning more than those with just the MEng
    The MEng is a masters degree, entirely equivalent to an MSc, and anyone taking it would have no need for an MSc; the next step, academically speaking, would be a doctorate.

ReputationRep:
    Still I am not getting my answer. As above some of you are saying MEng is some how equivalent to BEng. Will I have to do MSc after completing my MEng or can I directly able to do my doctorate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    The MEng is a masters degree, entirely equivalent to an MSc, and anyone taking it would have no need for an MSc; the next step, academically speaking, would be a doctorate.
    Nonetheless, an MEng is an undergraduate degree with some masters components. It is not, as the question asks, a postgraduate degree nor equivalent thereto (look at your institutes classifications). For example, in Europe or the Americas, you will not be eligible for professional engineer status. The Engineering Council UK are working to get MEng accepted by the rest of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spybouncer)
    Will I have to do MSc after completing my MEng or can I directly able to do my doctorate?
    No need for MSc as long as you have a first or second class accredited MEng.

ReputationRep:
    well im in my first year of an engineering degree right now, and the way i understand it, a Meng is a master of engineering, while Msc is a master of science, so surely they are equal, otherwise everyone would do the Beng then an Msc and the Meng intergrated degree would be pointless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spybouncer)
    Still I am not getting my answer. As above some of you are saying MEng is some how equivalent to BEng. Will I have to do MSc after completing my MEng or can I directly able to do my doctorate?

I don't understand why you say that as you have had your answer. The MEng is not the same as a BEng, and does qualify you to move on to a doctorate. It is the direct equivalent of a three year BSc followed by a one year masters.

ReputationRep:
    MEng = BEng + MSc

Its as simple as that

ReputationRep:
    I was confused with the same situation..... look at one of the best universities in engineering web pages...... waterloo university in canada offers MEng and it says on its page you should be MASc to get admitted in PhD.....

http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/Graduate/PhD/

ReputationRep:
    An MEng is equivalent to the MSc, but the MEng is an undergraduate degree whilst a MSc is a post graduate degree. If you do an MEng in Mechanical Eng there is no point in doing a MSc in Mech Eng. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navigator00)
    I was confused with the same situation..... look at one of the best universities in engineering web pages...... waterloo university in canada offers MEng and it says on its page you should be MASc to get admitted in PhD.....

http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/Graduate/PhD/
    That's Canada though. I don't know what a MASc is. In the UK it is possible to go straight on to a PhD with a MEng. I know some people in this country do nonetheless do a MSc before doing a PhD but this is because they aren't 100% sure they want to do a PhD, so they effectively (I think) start work on their PhD but do the first year as a research-based MSc, meaning that if they don't like it they can pack it in after one year and still get a MSc out of it.

I have been wondering the same as the OP when filling out job application forms though. I had to sit exams each year and the result from each year counted that year only, i.e. I have four different "final grades". What also doesn't help is the first three years are marked 1/2.1/2.2/3 (of which the third year is considered by many the "final" grade) and the fourth year is marked pass/merit/distinction... so on job application forms to describe this properly I have to enter an undergraduate degree 2006-2009 with result "First Class" and a postgraduate degree 2009-2010 with result "Merit". Even though I took what is sometimes referred to as an "undergraduate Masters".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I don't understand why you say that as you have had your answer. The MEng is not the same as a BEng, and does qualify you to move on to a doctorate. It is the direct equivalent of a three year BSc followed by a one year masters.
    My tutor told me there was a way to immediately start your phd from a BEng but it was a sort of loophole. Is this true or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    My tutor told me there was a way to immediately start your phd from a BEng but it was a sort of loophole. Is this true or not?
    Is what true? I'll take your word that your tutor said what you say, but I know nothing about loopholes except that the famously atheist W. C Fields, found reading the Bible on his deathbed was asked why and replied "I'm looking for loopholes".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    It is not really a loophole. Research council funding for engineering is left at the discretion of the university to which the grant has been given. If the university deems a candidate to be "good enough" to do a PhD, even if they only have a BEng, then they can admit that person to do a PhD. Most universities tend to avoid it though because if the BEng student fails to complete their PhD on time the department might get its knuckles rapped for admitting someone who might not have been ready for PhD study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I have been wondering the same as the OP when filling out job application forms though. I had to sit exams each year and the result from each year counted that year only, i.e. I have four different "final grades". What also doesn't help is the first three years are marked 1/2.1/2.2/3 (of which the third year is considered by many the "final" grade) and the fourth year is marked pass/merit/distinction... so on job application forms to describe this properly I have to enter an undergraduate degree 2006-2009 with result "First Class" and a postgraduate degree 2009-2010 with result "Merit". Even though I took what is sometimes referred to as an "undergraduate Masters".
    Just put First class with Merit. If it's an engineering employer they will normally get it. Others won't care as long as you got something 2.1 or above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Just put First class with Merit. If it's an engineering employer they will normally get it. Others won't care as long as you got something 2.1 or above.
    Often you can't do this though... many try to be clever and have a dropdown with a choice along the lines of 1 / 2:1 / 2:2 / 3 / Ordinary / Distinction / Merit / Pass, making it impossible to choose more than one of these options.

Also (at Cambridge at least) a "First Class with Merit" is a different thing entirely, being another name for a "Starred First" meaning you got a very high mark (80%+), thus further confusing things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Often you can't do this though... many try to be clever and have a dropdown with a choice along the lines of 1 / 2:1 / 2:2 / 3 / Ordinary / Distinction / Merit / Pass, making it impossible to choose more than one of these options.

Also (at Cambridge at least) a "First Class with Merit" is a different thing entirely, being another name for a "Starred First" meaning you got a very high mark (80%+), thus further confusing things!
    I think you are over concerned with technicalities! You're going to be a Cambridge graduate so you don't really need to beat people over the head to let them know you are academically smart I mean, yeah, you are right that formally speaking you need to put it down as BA and MEng separately on a form or CV but it's not really worth the 2-3 extra lines on a CV for the 3 seconds that they will take to look at it or, if it is automated, as long as you put something strong enough and justifiable to get you through screening it won't be a big deal. Better off using the space to talk about work experience and awards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    It is not really a loophole. Research council funding for engineering is left at the discretion of the university to which the grant has been given. If the university deems a candidate to be "good enough" to do a PhD, even if they only have a BEng, then they can admit that person to do a PhD. Most universities tend to avoid it though because if the BEng student fails to complete their PhD on time the department might get its knuckles rapped for admitting someone who might not have been ready for PhD study.
    Ah I see. I wanted to do my phd but I guess I'll do the masters first and re-assess then.

ReputationRep:
    Living in the same confusion since weeks. Someone confused me between BEng and MEng. He told me to go for MEng as it offers 4 years of academics which is accepted all over the globe. He also said that doind BEng will give you 3 years of academics which is not acceptable at many places.
    Does it mean that when going in a University I will have to apply for MEng directly? Or will I apply for BEng, complete my 3 years of study and then apply for MEng for further study of 1 year? Need guidance as I don't know much about these things. Have consulted msny but I'm getting more and more confused. Thanks.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 16, 2018

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.