Turn on thread page Beta

I miss him so much, but I never really had him. watch

ReputationRep:
    The 'one who got away' has just left for uni on the other side of the country and I'm naturally gutted. I've only just realised that I'm in love with him, and not a minute goes by where I don't think about him.

How do I cope?!

ReputationRep:
    Realise that you are in lust, not love. Love is a two way emotion.
    Realise that over time this will fade. Concentrate on being immediately happy and distract yourself in the present until your longing dies away.

(Original post by OhKitty)
    The 'one who got away' has just left for uni on the other side of the country and I'm naturally gutted. I've only just realised that I'm in love with him, and not a minute goes by where I don't think about him.

How do I cope?!
    I know what you mean - there's a guy who came to my uni to do his Masters and wanted to stay here to do his Phd, but he couldnt get funding. Now he's at the other end of the country.

When he was here we got on so so well, but we were both in relationships. I ended mine just as he started his so I tried to ignore my feeling for him. Only now he is at the other end of the country, and he is single again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Realise that you are in lust, not love. Love is a two way emotion.
    Realise that over time this will fade. Concentrate on being immediately happy and distract yourself in the present until your longing dies away.
    He loved me too, we just let each other know how we felt at completely the wrong time.

ReputationRep:

How do I cope?!
    Awww, I'm in the same boat as you hun!
    He left for another uni about 3 hours away, we both loved each other, but guess he just wanted to have fun in uni, no strings attached or any burden of having a gf back at home.
    Anyway, best advice I can give is, well if it's meant to be, it will be. But if it's not, then no matter how hard you try it won't happen/work.
    Don't worry, time heals all, although it leaves some scars
    He might be the one, if he is..he'll return to you
    or..someone else might be the one
    either way, you win so stay positive
    and worry/dwelling/over-thinking wastes time, and eats away at you, so there's no use in doing that.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know what you mean - there's a guy who came to my uni to do his Masters and wanted to stay here to do his Phd, but he couldnt get funding. Now he's at the other end of the country.

When he was here we got on so so well, but we were both in relationships. I ended mine just as he started his so I tried to ignore my feeling for him. Only now he is at the other end of the country, and he is single again
    It's so horrible. I just really wished that I would have just taken a risk, but I didn't. And now I'm too scared to talk to him properly, just in case he knows me as 'that younger girl who lives back home'. I can't compete with these pretty freshers who are all living in the same house as him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Awww, I'm in the same boat as you hun!
    He left for another uni about 3 hours away, we both loved each other, but guess he just wanted to have fun in uni, no strings attached or any burden of having a gf back at home.
    Anyway, best advice I can give is, well if it's meant to be, it will be. But if it's not, then no matter how hard you try it won't happen/work.
    Don't worry, time heals all, although it leaves some scars
    He might be the one, if he is..he'll return to you
    or..someone else might be the one
    either way, you win so stay positive
    and worry/dwelling/over-thinking wastes time, and eats away at you, so there's no use in doing that.
    xx
    The uni he got into is one that I was personally planning to apply to...I'll be leaving for uni in 2011, but I'm so worried that if I apply to the same one then he'll think I'm stalking him.

and I totally understand. I didn't want to make a scene and try and get him into a relationship a week before he left for uni! x

ReputationRep:
    OMFG, it's you! I miss you sooooo much as well. Give me a call ASAP!

ReputationRep:

How do I cope?!
    To be honest, the fact you "only just realised" indicates it wasn't really love. In my view, it's only love if they loved you too. Works two ways.

I would just say time is a healer... you've gotta put him out of your mind.

ReputationRep:
    The uni he got into is one that I was personally planning to apply to...I'll be leaving for uni in 2011, but I'm so worried that if I apply to the same one then he'll think I'm stalking him.

and I totally understand. I didn't want to make a scene and try and get him into a relationship a week before he left for uni! x
    Don't worry about him thinking you're stalking him!
    The point is..
    Do you REALLY wanna go to that uni, cause you love the place..
    orrr...are you going to it cause deep down, you think there's another chance for you and him?

I did one big mistake that I regret now, and that was trying to stop him from moving, or even suggesting he stay with me...glad you didn't do that!
    Anyways hun, I know it sounds selfish but make decisions for YOURSELF, no one else.
    For example, imagine a scenario where you go to the same uni, get together and break up? That would destroy you, seeing him day in and day out. By all means, it could (and hopefully will) work out the other way, where you go to the same uni, get together and live happily ever after
    But the bottom line is, think of the consequences of each decision, and at the end of the day uni days are the best days of your life, so you should enjoy them
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    OMFG, it's you! I miss you sooooo much as well. Give me a call ASAP!
    LMAO, oh for God sake! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you train to become a mechanic or a plumber - it might help take your mind off it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2009
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.