Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    But I figured here would be a good enough place to answer it.

Putting this as politely as possible, why do people become interested in Dentistry? Although it's not really my area, I can understand a fascination with Medicine as it covers the workings and limitations of us as humans. But i've never really understood the idea of wanting to spend a day looking into people's mouths and fixing their teeth.

Anyhow, thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    money
    i'll admit, i loled.

ReputationRep:
    Money.

ReputationRep:
    it's actually a huge area cuz from the condition of the teeth and gums you can find out about all sorts of things like brain tumours, heart problems, etc. also it's very surgical and hands on, can be quite rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    i'll admit, i loled.
    Seriously though, it's for the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Seriously though, it's for the money.
    Then why not just go work in the city instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hmughal)
    it's actually a huge area cuz from the condition of the teeth and gums you can find out about all sorts of things like brain tumours, heart problems, etc. also it's very surgical and hands on, can be quite rewarding.
    this is true
    regular flossing can help prevent heart disease for example, or a tooth problem could lead to spinal injury in the case of Aly Cissokho according to AC Milan http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...386096,00.html but Milan are a bit mental sometimes.
    That said, http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...icle27914.html
    teeth are crazy

ReputationRep:
    The combination of practical work, the chance to work with a wide range of people, and the depth of the medical knowledge required is what attracted me to be a dentist.

Too bad that grades got in the way!

ReputationRep:
    you can be self employed, manage a business, regular contact with patients(rapport and all that jazz), most treatments can be done by the dentist in house without referral, shorter working hours.. the list goes on...

should the question not be why would u want to do medicine?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.