Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was talking to a teacher who has a 1.1 in physics and he told me thats unless your going to one these unis then ud be better off just trying to go straight into work, is this the case or his just been bit of a uni snob? http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/

but i do have the opinion that a history of art course at somewhere like coventry or wolves is not got herald the greatest career prospects. so im not contesting that some cources are worth more than others, because this is quite clearly the case. but how far is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stewart91)
    i was talking to a teacher who has a 1.1 in physics and he told me thats unless your going to one these unis then ud be better off just trying to go straight into work, is this the case or his just been bit of a uni snob? http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/

but i do have the opinion that a history of art course at somewhere like coventry or wolves is not got herald the greatest career prospects. so im not contesting that some cources are worth more than others, because this is quite clearly the case. but how far is it?

It depends entirely on what sector/occupation you intend to work in afterwards, find their employment and recruitment records, and notice that even in the "bottom" unis, they still have a proportion of students going into graduate employment, so arguably it is worth studying at any uni.

ReputationRep:
    I think he might have been slightly biased towards where he went and the Physics element there. A degree won't be 'worthless', not by any stretch of the imagination but it really depends what you do. Really, anyone who takes "Brewing and Distillery BSc Hons" or "Contemporary Circus and Physical Performance" isn't going to get very far.

ReputationRep:
    He's being a snob. Seriously, so many employers (e.g. office jobs) just look for any degree. You can gain a lot of skills from getting a degree from just a semi-decent uni, mainly the ability to work hard. Many jobs require a specific degree to get into, and of course in that case, you would not be better off going straight into work at all.

Seriously, prestige isn't everything. I say this from experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    t by any stretch of the imagination but it really depends what you do. Really, anyone who takes "Brewing and Distillery BSc Hons" or "Contemporary Circus and Physical Performance" isn't going to get very far.

unless you want to be a brewer or a clown

ReputationRep:
    If you don't go Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, York or St. Andrews then you will exist ten years later homeless, lying in a gutter, downing bottles of Jacques and heading for an early death.

ReputationRep:
    No, it will be just worth less

ReputationRep:
    Bath isn't on that list, therefore it's ********

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    If you don't go Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, York or St. Andrews then you will exist ten years later homeless, lying in a gutter, downing bottles of Jacques and heading for an early death.
    Good thing I rejected LSE then :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    He's being a snob. Seriously, so many employers (e.g. office jobs) just look for any degree. You can gain a lot of skills from getting a degree from just a semi-decent uni, mainly the ability to work hard. Many jobs require a specific degree to get into, and of course in that case, you would not be better off going straight into work at all.

Seriously, prestige isn't everything. I say this from experience.
    Agreed.

There is a relatively small percentage of careers that you need to have gone to a top uni for, although other employers may have preferences. A lot can be gained from even the lowest ranked uni and what you make of your time there counts for a lot, such as gaining work experience.

For the record, I did my undergrad at Winchester and am now at Southampton and did prefer Winchester for various reasons. If you don't like the feel of the place you will be miserable for three years and that is definitely a waste of time just for a different institution name on your degree certificate.

ReputationRep:
    I think he might have been slightly biased towards where he went and the Physics element there. A degree won't be 'worthless', not by any stretch of the imagination but it really depends what you do. Really, anyone who takes "Brewing and Distillery BSc Hons" or "Contemporary Circus and Physical Performance" isn't going to get very far.

really? as i'd expect them to do very well in the brewing industry, and with the performing arts

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, there was and is a select few unis in this country that I would consider going to, outside of those I wouldn't bother. I wouldn't be so arrogant to condemn all degrees awarded outside of the few top ones 'worthless'. It is just that for me, I always aim for the top and best and know I am capable of great stuff.

Wow, that does sound rather big headed but it's not. I just recognise and place confidence in my abilities.

ReputationRep:
    A degree gets you an interview. Personality gets you the job. A good personality and some work experience will get you further than a 2.1 from Oxbridge. Trust me, there really arnt many people who are "work ready" out there, if you can be "work ready" by the end of uni you have a huge advantage over people with good academic qualifications and bugger all else.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, not Jacques

ReputationRep:
    :proud:

ReputationRep:
    minus York. What's with the profile pic btw?! lmao.

ReputationRep:
    Strathclyde Business School isn't there, until it's there I won't be believing a word of it.

Moreover there are a lot of better universities than Queen's Belfast. Is it just up there to represent NI?

ReputationRep:
    I think there is between twenty and fifty universities that I would consider going to but what your teacher said is absolute rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    "Brewing and Distillery BSc Hons"
    Actually, I believe one of the University of California schools offers a Masters degree in Distillation/Brewing of Beer/Alcohol. My uni offered a class on Wine Tasting (Wine Connoisseurship?).

To the OP, I think that the final classification of your degree will be more important than what uni you went to - as well as other factors like what you studied, and the quality of competition of other candidates for jobs/postgraduate work.

ReputationRep:
    So a degree from St Andrews is worthless? Exeter too? Durham? York?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.