The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Joseph90
downing bottles of Jacques

I doubt they could afford such fine quality!
SunOfABeach
So a degree from St Andrews is worthless? Exeter too? Durham? York?

Precisely, there's a couple of excellent universities like the one you mentioned - and Bath too (and I'm probably missing some others) that haven't been included.

OP, your teacher was probably just trying to say that unless you go to one of these universities that's considered "good", it's not worth it. And that's definitely him just being a snob... uni name alone won't get you very far - you have to be well-rounded. Plus, certain universities are good for certain courses as well and therefore they can't be generalised and lumped into groups like that.
I dont think its worthless perse but he isnt far wrong. In my eyes degrees are ranked by three factors - the university, the course and the class.

For example getting a 1st in physics from an expoly/non russel group isnt going to be worthless - but getting a 3rd in cheese making from one is.
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Strathclyde Business School isn't there, until it's there I won't be believing a word of it.

Moreover there are a lot of better universities than Queen's Belfast. Is it just up there to represent NI?

Hahaha.. misguided much. QUB is a russell group, it is not to do with how good a uni is but rather about the research prospects. :rolleyes: eejit.
tradingmyheartforyours
Hahaha.. misguided much. QUB is a russell group, it is not to do with how good a uni is but rather about the research prospects. :rolleyes: eejit.

Thanks you've just lowered my self-esteem, I now feel like killing myself after being called an eejit.

It's all your fault.
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Thanks you've just lowered my self-esteem, I now feel like killing myself after being called an eejit.

It's all your fault.

:rolleyes: really? like seriously? For real? mmmm

I think eejit is comparatively better than being called an idiot or a moron..

sorry! :p:
tradingmyheartforyours
:rolleyes: really? like seriously? For real? mmmm

I think eejit is comparatively better than being called an idiot or a moron..

sorry! :p:

It's too late, I've got my rope ready and will be hanging myself in the next few minutes, farewell TSR.
What the **** is a 1.1?
Reply 48
No.
Reply 49
I think this thread died a couple of pages ago. Sadly, the possibility of sensible discussion went with it.

A quick point on factual accuracies though: The Russell Group is 20 of the largest research-intensive universities in the UK. That says nothing about their quality of undergraduate education- not that QUB is in any way bad, but you often find selectivity (which St Andrews has and Aberdeen hasn't) is responsible for a league table rise, boosting things like entry standards and thus percentages of good honours, dropout etc. I don't think one has a 'better' quality of education than the other, no one thought that 20 years ago before league tables existed.

Secondly, Scottish entrants can go to university a year earlier than their English counterparts, thus meaning they spend a year longer while at university catching up. I recall a debate about Physics with some school leaver who claimed Glasgow could not and should not be considered one of the UK's very best for the subject, because entry was only BBB (as it was at the time). It then had to be pointed out that if he wanted to do it in the three years he would in England, he'd need at least AAB to include Further Maths to apply for second year entry. Entry requirements and quality do not always correllate.

Latest

Trending

Trending