The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
PhoenixFortune
Does anyone know when we can apply for RCSLT student membership?

As I have an unconditional place, would it be a good idea to do it sooner rather than later?

RCSLT membership isn't essential even when you are a student. It's just helpful. Most of my year started applying to be a member half way through the 2nd year. Although on your CV it looks better if you say you were a member for the whole three years.

Marjon normally tell you all about gaining membership in the first few weeks of term (And if you pay by direct debit you get it cheaper )
Reply 981
Kaaat
Im going to apply for Colmon house! I definetly need an en-suite as sharing bathrooms with people i've never met I can't do! Yeah the student village looks nice but its basically the same as the accomodation on campus just a longer walk. The only annoying thing (really lazy factor) about Colmon house is that its on the other side of campus to the building we are based in! But yeah :smile: I really like the idea of living with people either on the same course or similar ones so our hours will be the same, same amount of work, same term weeks etc :smile:

Hey! Thanks for including me in your accom talk :p:!! Colman house seems the best bet! Although I havent fully decided yet, I may choose a cheaper option as I think when it actually gets down to it, sharing a bathroom will be bareable for the extra £20 a week:rolleyes: do you know how we apply for accomidation? I agree with your thoughts about sharing with people on the same course. We are starting on 1st September, which i'm guessing is earlier than most degree courses at UEA. I'm pretty worried about that actually:eek3: so it would be nice if we weren't totally alone during that time!

Hope you don't mind me joining in with this! I'm new to The Student Room so i'm still getting to grips with it all:smile: it's so weird thinking we will be off to the same place in September!:woo: xxxx
Reply 982
natalielt
Hey! Thanks for including me in your accom talk :p:!! Colman house seems the best bet! Although I havent fully decided yet, I may choose a cheaper option as I think when it actually gets down to it, sharing a bathroom will be bareable for the extra £20 a week:rolleyes: do you know how we apply for accomidation? I agree with your thoughts about sharing with people on the same course. We are starting on 1st September, which i'm guessing is earlier than most degree courses at UEA. I'm pretty worried about that actually:eek3: so it would be nice if we weren't totally alone during that time!

Hope you don't mind me joining in with this! I'm new to The Student Room so i'm still getting to grips with it all:smile: it's so weird thinking we will be off to the same place in September!:woo: xxxx

Do we actually start on 1st September? I thought that they'd just put that on ucas!! If we do then there goes my hopes of working a few weeks in September to get paid on 26th which coincides with the weekend before Freshers! Actually I've just found the 09/10 semester dates for AHP and they started on 21st September which was the same day as everyone else, so I don't think we will be starting on the 1st :smile: Though they did do 9am-5pm on their first day it seems, so no letting us in gently!!!

I was wondering actually where the extra weeks are added in as the SLT course is 6 weeks longer than their normal courses, cause I was wondering whether we'd have to pay for lots of extra weeks on the accommodation but it looks like this year their first term was the same length as everyone elses but they came back a week earlier from xmas break, they break up a week later for Easter so get 3 weeks for Easter instead of 4 and then do an extra 4 weeks at the end of the summer term, so yeah that makes up the 6 weeks. So I guess we have to pay the cost of 4 weeks extra on top of the standard prices quoted for accommodation.

So we will be on our own for the last four weeks of summer, all the health and medical professions ruling the campus! :wink:

Don't worry about getting involved on the thread, we're all friendly!

p.s - sorry to everyone that we're going completely off on one about UEA, maybe we should make our own UEA slt thread in the UEA forum!?
HI

Did anyone manage to go to the MMU open day today? There doesn't seem to be many northerns on this thread. Congrats to all of you firming your offers.
Reply 984
tinkerbell39
HI

Did anyone manage to go to the MMU open day today? There doesn't seem to be many northerns on this thread. Congrats to all of you firming your offers.

I went I loved manchester but wasnt to impressed with the uni as it seemed a bit chaotic and disorganised and the students they had showing us round and didnt seem to study speech therapy which wasnt very useful! But the staff were nice and facilities ok. Did you go?
Yes I did go, I too felt it was slightly disorganised and was concerned that I didn't get to see any other students. I was hoping to meet students who would be enthusiastic about the course, but I didn't get that vibe. I was surprised at the library it seemed small. However I did think the staff were nice and the course content looked good, will be very interested to go and look at the University now.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Hiya,

Im a mature student in need of some advice!
I have 2 full A Levels in Biology and Geography, both A Grades. I also have AS Levels in Critical Thinking, Psychology and General Studies. Just wondering if my grades will be good enough! I would only really be able to apply to reading and UEA.

I looked at the times university guide, and it said the average ucas points for SLT at reading was over 400! Its really made me question if I am brainy enough for the course!
I would love to some help and support. Lucy x
LooCee
p.s - sorry to everyone that we're going completely off on one about UEA, maybe we should make our own UEA slt thread in the UEA forum!?

Last year in the 2009 SLT thread, everyone was obsessed with Reading, and now this year it's UEA! :p:
Reply 988
Tash1675
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd say hello! I am going to uni in September to study Speech and Language therapy. I am 28 so will be a mature student which sounds very weird indeed!

I have been offered places at Marjon, Birmingham city and Reading. Am not sure if the offer at Reading is conditional or not but I am going to put them as my first choice I think. Just wondered if anyone else is going to Reading, if there are any more mature students, and if anyone is going to the visit day on the 16th April? Lots of questions!

It'll be my second time around at university (having done a BSc in Psychology & Computing a long time ago!) and I am excited but a little nervous about going back to uni!

Tash x

Hi Tash,

I was so pleased to read your post! I'm 25 and it'll also be my second time at uni (I did Law a few years back). I've been offered places at Manchester, Birmingham City and Reading...so two in common!

I could commute to Birmingham but I really want to go to Reading, I'll be at the open day on 16th April though so am going to put off a decision until then... when did you go for your BCU interview? I was there on 2nd March, and I liked the sound of the course but not the campus so much.

I've been looking at the accommodation for Reading and I'm trying to decide if I want to do the whole halls thing again, though I like that they have specific halls for mature students...hmm makes me sound really old and boring!

Anyway, if you wanted to talk it over or anything then feel free...and if not, then maybe I'll see you on the 16th! I'll be the one with the entourage of nosy family members...

Sarah x
Reply 989
Hi evryone, I havent been on this forum for a while but anyway I got a conditional offer from UCP Marjon and I've accepted the offer. However, I wasnt able to attend the open day. Can anyone tell me what happened on the open day. Oh.. and also accomidation info. I have looked at the UCP's website but I couldnt find much info on accomidations. One more question does anyone know how many places UCP Marjon offer for SLT programme. Your answers would really help...THANK YOU!!!:biggrin:
Kaffine
Hi evryone, I havent been on this forum for a while but anyway I got a conditional offer from UCP Marjon and I've accepted the offer. However, I wasnt able to attend the open day. Can anyone tell me what happened on the open day. Oh.. and also accomidation info. I have looked at the UCP's website but I couldnt find much info on accomidations. One more question does anyone know how many places UCP Marjon offer for SLT programme. Your answers would really help...THANK YOU!!!:biggrin:

Yey! Someone else firming Marjon! I have an unconditional place, so hopefully see you in September!
I didn't go the SLT open day, but I did go to the university-wide one the week before. I can't remember how many halls they have (I think it's about 4 on campus) and a student village on campus too that's houses rather than halls. Lol I knew I should've gone on the accommodation tour! :p: Bethanieee probably knows loads more than me, so I'd wait for her answer on accommodation!
What I do know is that you apply for accommodation once your offer becomes unconditional, so forms are released in June so you can fill it in and send it to wait for your place to be confirmed. Accommodation is on a first-come, first-served basis, as there isn't enough rooms for every First Year. Only First Years can apply for accommodation.
Well, they have 50 NHS-funded places, but they said that they give out about 200 offers to fill those places.
Reply 991
LooCee
Do we actually start on 1st September? I thought that they'd just put that on ucas!! If we do then there goes my hopes of working a few weeks in September to get paid on 26th which coincides with the weekend before Freshers! Actually I've just found the 09/10 semester dates for AHP and they started on 21st September which was the same day as everyone else, so I don't think we will be starting on the 1st :smile: Though they did do 9am-5pm on their first day it seems, so no letting us in gently!!!

I was wondering actually where the extra weeks are added in as the SLT course is 6 weeks longer than their normal courses, cause I was wondering whether we'd have to pay for lots of extra weeks on the accommodation but it looks like this year their first term was the same length as everyone elses but they came back a week earlier from xmas break, they break up a week later for Easter so get 3 weeks for Easter instead of 4 and then do an extra 4 weeks at the end of the summer term, so yeah that makes up the 6 weeks. So I guess we have to pay the cost of 4 weeks extra on top of the standard prices quoted for accommodation.

So we will be on our own for the last four weeks of summer, all the health and medical professions ruling the campus! :wink:

Don't worry about getting involved on the thread, we're all friendly!

I really hope your right! I've applied for a few summer jobs which need me up until the end of September so would be great if we didn't have to go so early. Extra cash will be needed! I've just been working out roughly my financial situation, not as bad as I thought:smile: have you applied for grants/loans etc. yet?

Strangely enough, I've been thinking the same. We pay for 38 weeks of accomidation and SLT in the first year is 36, so we should be fine:smile: phew! Us health professionals are definitely going to be working the hardest:p:

I love the forum idea, if i knew how to make one I'd do it!:p:
Hi everyone! im new to this so hope im doing it right!! ive been nosing through everyones posts for a while now but thought id finally join so i can join in :smile:
Im hoping to be a postgrad student for slt this sept. so far have applied for City and have an interview next thurs (1st april) EEEEK!!!! am also planning on applying to essex (was supposed to be doing the form now but came on here instead! lol)
In 24 and did a BSc at UEA in Psychosocial Sciences (everyone on here applying for UEA i highly recommend it, its super friendly and theres so much going on all the time)
Am sooooo nervous about next week as this means so much to me (as im sure it does to all you guys too!) really nice to be able to vent to others who feel the same! :smile:
Reply 993
PhoenixFortune
Last year in the 2009 SLT thread, everyone was obsessed with Reading, and now this year it's UEA! :p:

I'm sure it'll change soon, I think there's just a lot of us around at the moment who have firmed UEA! There seems to be a lot of interest in Reading on this thread too so no doubt that will take over soon!!

UEA SLT people, I've created a thread over in the UEA forum so that we can chat there and stop boring everyone on this thread with our constant gushing about UEA! :p:
LooCee
I'm sure it'll change soon, I think there's just a lot of us around at the moment who have firmed UEA! There seems to be a lot of interest in Reading on this thread too so no doubt that will take over soon!!

UEA SLT people, I've created a thread over in the UEA forum so that we can chat there and stop boring everyone on this thread with our constant gushing about UEA! :p:

I saw it pop up on the Dicussions Tab on the right! I was quite impressed. :smile:
Reply 995
notchip
Hi Tash,

I was so pleased to read your post! I'm 25 and it'll also be my second time at uni (I did Law a few years back). I've been offered places at Manchester, Birmingham City and Reading...so two in common!

I could commute to Birmingham but I really want to go to Reading, I'll be at the open day on 16th April though so am going to put off a decision until then... when did you go for your BCU interview? I was there on 2nd March, and I liked the sound of the course but not the campus so much.

I've been looking at the accommodation for Reading and I'm trying to decide if I want to do the whole halls thing again, though I like that they have specific halls for mature students...hmm makes me sound really old and boring!

Anyway, if you wanted to talk it over or anything then feel free...and if not, then maybe I'll see you on the 16th! I'll be the one with the entourage of nosy family members...

Sarah x

Hi Sarah,

Great to hear from you. It's so nice to know I won't be the only mature student! Congrats on your offers too.

I went to Birmingham on the 10th March. I too liked the sound of the course, I thought the facilities were good in comparison to Marjon but I wasn't that keen on the sound of the halls.

I am going to wait until I've seen Reading to make my decision but I am leaning towards them as I've heard lots of good things about Reading and I won't be too far away from home (Bournemouth) if I go there.

I like the idea of the mature halls too! hehe! :redface:) I think it would be quite nice to live with people of similar ages with similar timetables etc.

I think my Mum, Dad and sister are coming on the 16th so you won't be the only one with lots of family there!

Tash x
Reply 996
PhoenixFortune
Yey! Someone else firming Marjon! I have an unconditional place, so hopefully see you in September!
I didn't go the SLT open day, but I did go to the university-wide one the week before. I can't remember how many halls they have (I think it's about 4 on campus) and a student village on campus too that's houses rather than halls. Lol I knew I should've gone on the accommodation tour! :p: Bethanieee probably knows loads more than me, so I'd wait for her answer on accommodation!
What I do know is that you apply for accommodation once your offer becomes unconditional, so forms are released in June so you can fill it in and send it to wait for your place to be confirmed. Accommodation is on a first-come, first-served basis, as there isn't enough rooms for every First Year. Only First Years can apply for accommodation.
Well, they have 50 NHS-funded places, but they said that they give out about 200 offers to fill those places.

Thanks for the reply:biggrin:. The accomidation sounds good. I'll probably ask Bethanieee loads of question lol:smartass: . Well done for the unconditional offer! Hopefully I'll see you there. :p:
Reply 997
fantasy1
I applied online. The letter I got was the usual decision letter saying that they had assessed my application for finance, and that I was entitled to the minimum loan. I just need to accept it and give them my bank details and it's all done. :cool:

Hey when you applied for you student finance did you login in using your old ART ID etc from your old degree or register again?
Reply 998
bb87
Hey when you applied for you student finance did you login in using your old ART ID etc from your old degree or register again?

Hey. You cannot register with them twice so you use your old ART ID number (although it's called something different now, your old one will still be valid).

Just don't look at the page which shows how much you owe like I did!!:eek:
Reply 999
Kaffine

Hey
Marjon has 7 halls of residence (Clark, Cromwell, Hudson, Dix, Coleridge, Kay-Shuttleworth and Tufnell) which are catered halls. Then there's the student village which is self catered. By catered they mean you get a Dining In Scheme card which you can use the on site catering facilities. Both the village and halls have the same facilities in terms of kitchen items.
http://marjon.ac.uk/facilities/accommodation/

I didn't get the chance to work this SLT open day (Stupid dissertation :frown: ) but usually they run a few taster classes for some of the modules that UCP Marjon offer. In the past they've run short sessions on paediatric communication, adult neurology, counselling, linguistics and the chance to speak to a gentleman with Parkinson's disease. They also usally give a general over view of the course and Marjon life.

Hope that helps

Kat :smile:

Latest