The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
09Rachel
Hey

and yay! I was beginning to think I was the only one going to Leeds! and yeahh Norwich was such a nice city but Leeds was much better overall and Yorkshire seems like a nicer area to do placements too :smile:

which accomodation have you applied for?

Sorry I'm rubbish at replying!
I'm so excited now :smile: I've applied to live in Opal 2, but I'll be happy wherever I stay just as long as I have my own bathroom haha. How about you?
Tash1675
Ooh exciting! I haven't heard yet. Did they email you?

I am really hoping I get Stenton or Mackinder. Really like the idea of having my own bathroom! hehe!

No i went on my student portal to look at my application and the status had changed to accepted :biggrin: i'm so happy that i've got it! let me know when you hear something :smile:
Beatrix Potter
Well done on Stenton, looks gorgeous and so close to sooo many other halls! and a nice corner of the campus, near the sports park! I would recommend trying to work part time or on a bank basis alongside your degree if you can. Something related to SLT is really beneficial. I am a support worker for people with learning disabilities and visual impairments, as well as teaching my own groups art and textiles and work in a bar. Alot of my friends work in shops such as Gap and as waitresses. At reading there are are alot of opportunities to work and do paid psychology studies. Try and save up alot over the summer. Also at Reading you get loads of emails of events work like newbury races, ascot and henley regatta. so loads of chances to do one off kind of work.

thank you that sounds great about the jobs! you don't find it hard to juggle a job and your studies then?
Reply 1143
fantasy1
They ask you to forecast your expenses for the coming academic year, and you have to provide original documents to substantiate your claims, so the tenency agreement is defo for student accommodation. There must be a way around this, as I won't know what halls I get until september i think, and i expect the bursery place are used to this.

On another note... will be abroad for 3 months this summer coming back a week before uni. They ask for passport and driving liscense which isn't going to be possible for me as I need them both. Have no idea what to do about that, will give them a ring 2 morro I think. HOPE they won't be all jopsworth over it...

Just to clear things up for everyone - I've just rang up the NHS bursary helpline to ask about the tenancy agreement. The lady on the phone told me to put in the box about the rent an estimate of what you expect to be paying, with a note saying that you haven't received the tenancy agreement yet. She said to forward it on to them once we receive it.
bumblebee111191
thank you that sounds great about the jobs! you don't find it hard to juggle a job and your studies then?

The first term time table is pretty hectic at Reading, but you would be fine to work after Christmas I would say!! The good thing about four years is that it is quite well paced, in the first term you get fridays off and in the spring term we got wednesdays and fridays off!
thanks that's good to hear!

and i just got my NHS bursary letter through, so hopefully everyone will get their's soon!
bumblebee111191
thanks that's good to hear!

and i just got my NHS bursary letter through, so hopefully everyone will get their's soon!

I still haven't got mine. :frown:

I thought I'd get it today, but the post in my area is so bad, it's usually one week behind everywhere else in the country!
Reply 1147
bumblebee111191
No i went on my student portal to look at my application and the status had changed to accepted :biggrin: i'm so happy that i've got it! let me know when you hear something :smile:

So...I had a look on my application and my status has changed to accepted but I haven't been offered anything yet. Also, it says 'Hil Accepted' which I think is Hillside... I am a mature student (almost 29 eek!) and Hillside is for mature students so hopefully it'll be okay. I was hoping for Stenton or Mackinder as they sound so nice. Nev mind! hehe! :smile:
Hillside is quite a walk away from the psychology dept!!
Reply 1149
HI can anyone plz help. I have applied to Birmingham City uni for SLT. I'm a late aplicant. As part of the interview at bcu they want you to visit a speech and language therapy service, but most of the ones i have rang want a crb done, they take up2 3 months. Does anyone know of any speech and language therapy sevice that let you visit for the day for observation and stuff.
Reply 1150
[QUOTE='[Vicki]']the group task was for us to talk about what items you would throw out a boat if you were going to a desert island.
They look for interaction with others and problem solving mainly
Then the written was what is the influence of media on communication or something?
I can not honestly remember all the details as it was over 3 years ago now and I am not sure whether it has changed at all
Hope that helps thats how my interview was and I thought I messed up but I got in
Good luck

Hi again, As part of the interview at bcu on the entry requirements they say they strongly reccommed you to visit a speech and language therapy service. All the ones i have rang want a crb done. They take up 2 about 3 months to come back. I rang bcu and they said they strongly recommend i find one as it will help me pass my interview. Do you knw of any speech and language therapy service in birmingham that let you vist for the day. Thanx
bumblebee111191

I've been accepted by Wessex!
Reply 1152
MUMof2

Hey thanx alot for your reply, Do u know what the ritten interview was like. I m going back to education after 5 years after having two kids, very nervous feel as though ive forgotten so much. it'l be a great help.

Hey I think she said it was just the usual interview questions such as 'why do you want to be a SLT', nothing too hard or anything. She said they have doubled their places to 80 and as they have places to fill, don't panic too much!
The questions UEA asked were: why SLT, work experience, why UEA, what characteristics should a SLT have, how do you de-stress, how would you deal with emotional stress...
Hopefully that will give you a bit of on idea about what the written interview might ask :smile:

Also, I think you said something about getting work experience? I worked at a disabled primary school for a day and didn't need a CBR check, just write to as many places like that you can think of and hopefully you will get contacted. For my interview I hadn't actually shadowed a SLT just had some things organised for months after my interview, so if you can get things for the summer that should still be what they're looking for.
Tash1675
So...I had a look on my application and my status has changed to accepted but I haven't been offered anything yet. Also, it says 'Hil Accepted' which I think is Hillside... I am a mature student (almost 29 eek!) and Hillside is for mature students so hopefully it'll be okay. I was hoping for Stenton or Mackinder as they sound so nice. Nev mind! hehe! :smile:

yeah if you hover the mouse over hil accepted it'll tell you what it stands for. did you not put hillside down at all then?
Reply 1154
bumblebee111191
yeah if you hover the mouse over hil accepted it'll tell you what it stands for. did you not put hillside down at all then?

When I hover the mouse over 'Hil Accepted' it just says 'Accepted by Hall'. Ah well, I'm sure it'll be fine. I did put Hillside down yeah, it was just the bottom of my list!

I know it is quite far away from the Pyschology building but 12 mins walk is okay I reckon. I just hope it's alright! :smile:
Reply 1155
Hey guys
I recieved my letter from the nhs today with my reference number on. But when I looked on the website and the forms for the 2010-2011 year are there but the booklets are for 2009-2010. Also I can't seem to find how much the bursary is for 2010 intake as the calculator hasn't been updated either. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks
Tash1675
When I hover the mouse over 'Hil Accepted' it just says 'Accepted by Hall'. Ah well, I'm sure it'll be fine. I did put Hillside down yeah, it was just the bottom of my list!

I know it is quite far away from the Pyschology building but 12 mins walk is okay I reckon. I just hope it's alright! :smile:

Id say that was more 30 minutes from Hillside!!
Reply 1157
Beatrix Potter
Id say that was more 30 minutes from Hillside!!

Blimey! That is a lot longer than it says on the Reading uni website! Do you know what Hillside is like at all? To be honest, I'm not overly bothered how far away it is as long as it is okay to live there!
Reply 1158
MUMof2
Hi again, As part of the interview at bcu on the entry requirements they say they strongly reccommed you to visit a speech and language therapy service. All the ones i have rang want a crb done. They take up 2 about 3 months to come back. I rang bcu and they said they strongly recommend i find one as it will help me pass my interview. Do you knw of any speech and language therapy service in birmingham that let you vist for the day. Thanx

Thats new. It does help but i had no experience with the service i went to an slt open day at a local hospital
My reccomendation is to volunteer maybe
I dont think its a big deal if you can not get experience, it will not go against you i dont think
but dont take my word for it
bumblebee111191

whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. So you haven't had any email to tell you about having 14 days to reply? Mackinder have accepted me on the portal, but nothing to my email. So is there any action to take if the email isn't come? Also, got the NHS letter with my student number... need to sort that out next week. Where abouts does it say what the documents are that we have to send with it?

Latest