Turn on thread page Beta

Who do I put first- me or my friends? watch

Situation:

I live in an OK house with people that I get on well enough with. There are a couple of issues with one of them, but besides that we all get on. The house isnt amazing, but i guess it im being honest it isnt VERY bad, but its worse than quite a lot of the houses other people I know are living in.

I have been offered another apartment with my best friend. I know that i will be able to concentrate there, the security is better and Im not worried about safety and being broken into.

Heres the problem; do I move into this apartment and do what is best for me, which will create a housemate search for my friends....and no doubt will damage our relationships a little. Or do I stay where I am, not really being entirely happy but not pissing people off?

If i do move out, then i will pay rent for the place i move into and the old house until January..so they at least have some time to find someone.\

Please help, what should I do? :confused: My mum just keeps saying "do whatever" which really isnt helping me :sad:

ReputationRep:
    How about trying to find a housemate for them? Do you know anyone who needs a place to stay?

Personally, I think you should put yourself first. You will benefit more from the other place and by the sounds of your post, thats what you want.

Maybe discuss it with your current housemates? If yous all get on, I'm sure they won't mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'd move out. I'm sure if any of the others got an opportunity like you they wouldn't think twice about leaving, especially if your current house is as bad as you say.

Explain the situation to them and they're bound to be okay with it all, and the fact that you're able to give them some time to look for a new housemate is an added bonus for them too.

And even if you do lose them as friends, you're at uni! you'll make new ones !

ReputationRep:
    Legally, are you sure you're able to move out without having to cough up the rest of the rent and not have to find another housemate??? When I was at uni we all had individual contracts.

Do what is best for you, but DON'T move out and say, "okay, good luck in finding another housemate, and if you don't get one by January I guess you'll just have to pay more rent." It's entirely down to you to find a new housemate to replace you, and if you don't find one you should cough up the rent.

ReputationRep:
    If you all signed one contract, you can't move out until it expires. If it's individual contracts, most likely you'll have to pay the rest of the rent if you move out. With regard to your friends, I'd talk to them nicely, explain the situation and find another housemate for them.

ReputationRep:
    If the contract allows you, do move out. It shouldn't be too hard finding another housemate surely. If it comes to that, you could organise that you still 'officially' pay the rent and the new one reimburses you.

To all those people saying you cant as your bound by contract, im already released.

ReputationRep:
    Always put yourself first. They will get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Move out, but make a concerted effort to find a replacement roomie.

ReputationRep:
    do whats best for yourself

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.