Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for dentistry and for backup to pharmacy. My personal statement focuses entirely on dentistry as i was told that I would not be considered if I mentioned anything else like pharmacy. Dentistry is competitive and am not sure if I will get accepted. I have also been told that pharmacy schools may not accept if my PS is full dentistry. Should I contact pharmacy admission and ask if they will accept an extra PS sent directly to them for my pharmacy application? Anyone had any similar dilemma and how to get around this?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can send two personal statements. I wanted to do that, and was told I couldn't, because I was trying to apply to do Fine Art as well.

I was told, either change all my choices to one subject, or else write a personal statement explaining your interest in both subjects.
    I don't know anyone that has been penalised for mentioning two subjects, for Universitys will surely know that your five choices wont always be for the exact same subject. At least both of yours are in a similar field...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shemshem)
    I am applying for dentistry and for backup to pharmacy. My personal statement focuses entirely on dentistry as i was told that I would not be considered if I mentioned anything else like pharmacy. Dentistry is competitive and am not sure if I will get accepted. I have also been told that pharmacy schools may not accept if my PS is full dentistry. Should I contact pharmacy admission and ask if they will accept an extra PS sent directly to them for my pharmacy application? Anyone had any similar dilemma and how to get around this?
    Ignore whatever anyone else tells you (except this, of course), especially your school and the poster above, and call your pharmacy choice and ask the admissions tutor's advice. Consider changing your pharmacy choice to one that will allow a second PS to be sent by email.

If you really want to do dentistry, don't dilute your PS to take account of your fifth choice; it is too competitive to allow the risk.

ReputationRep:
    Really? You can?!
    Oh fgs. They told me I couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nook)
    They told me I couldn't.
    Who is they?

ReputationRep:
    School peoples. Namely my head of year. Who had a hissy fit over my PS and kept making me rewrite it, saying it was too generic. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nook)
    School peoples. Namely my head of year. Who had a hissy fit over my PS and kept making me rewrite it, saying it was too generic. =/
    Schools are generally bad at advising people on personal statements, in my view, and frequently don't properly understand the UCAS process and what the possibilities are; the intricacies of a vet/med/dental application often seem to defeat them.

Having said that, though, (and putting vet/med/dental aside) the risks of applying for two disparate subjects are far too high. It is much better to make the subject choice before applying and increase your chances of getting an offer. Very few universities will accept a second PS (and it really isn't worth asking if you aren't a vet/med/dental applicant, as it reveals that the subject is a clear last resort). You will have to make the choice in the spring anyway - if you have any offers, which a two-subject PS does not facilitate.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Well I'm only applying t'do English now. So I'll be just fine.

But cheers for that. One day I might actually work out the UCAS system myself. xD

ReputationRep:
    I acknowledge that this is quite an old thread, however does anyone know whether universities require a new reference from school in addition to the personal statement if your first application was not pharmacy related?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2011

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.