Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, here are the notes I made on topics 5.1 (redox equilibria) and the dreaded 5.2 (transition metals). Included is a nice table of the precipitate colours of the transition metal hydroxides to learn from.

I will be making notes on topic 5.5 too - its quite hard to do benzene and reaction mechanisms on the computer and I already know all the kinetics stuff so I'm not gonna bother doing those.

Good luck revising! Im sure you are all feeling the strain...but not long to go now!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Unit 5.1 and 5.2.doc (72.0 KB, 2913 views)

ReputationRep:
    You can't leave out the water ligands when writing equations for transition metals, or atleast so we've been told. You ALWAYS need to write out the full ion for transition metals apparently.

edit ; I'm also sure Zinc forms a colourless solution in excess OH and ammonia

ReputationRep:
    great notes!!!

...just one think in excess NH3 is this ligand exchange as NH3 displaces H20 and
    in copper II hydroxide why does the solution with excess NH3 only have 4 NH3 compared with 6 in the other reaction

thanks in advanced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raam001584)
    great notes!!!

...just one think in excess NH3 is this ligand exchange as NH3 displaces H20 and
    in copper II hydroxide why does the solution with excess NH3 only have 4 NH3 compared with 6 in the other reaction

thanks in advanced
    Im not sure why this happens, but it is what the NAS textbook says, so thats what im learning.

And to the person that said that zinc hydroxide also dissolves in ammonia - that is probably correct - i couldnt find much in the textbook
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by raam001584)
    great notes!!!

thanks in advanced

Copper is a little strange in that its 'haxaaqua' ion is really square planar [Cu(H2O)4]2+ with two axial water ligands much more loosely bound.
    This is due to something called the Jahn-Teller effect.

The higher transition metals tend to form tetrahedral or square planar complexes by hybridising the 4sº and 4p orbitals to accept electron pairs as all the '3d' orbitals are already full (or partly so)

The ammonia exchnges with the tightly bound water molecules to make the tetraammine complex but also probably has loosely bound axial ligands whose identity depends on the relative concentrations of available species in solution.

All this is on a not-need-to-know basis

ReputationRep:
    Cheers charco, chemguide.co.uk agrees! And ive uploaded the ammended version to show that a tetraamminezinc (II) complex is formed in excess NH3.

ReputationRep:
    ooooo thnks for these. Rep for u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KP Nuts)
    Im not sure why this happens, but it is what the NAS textbook says, so thats what im learning.

And to the person that said that zinc hydroxide also dissolves in ammonia - that is probably correct - i couldnt find much in the textbook
    The Nelson book is a bit wishy washy at times yup. Shame because that's all I used for my unit 4 exam and it worked fine.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info
    dont need to know but at least i get it now

ReputationRep:
    I havent revised yet and i need an a, can any1 suppply any notes for the whole thing

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't revised yet you're unlikely to get an A in two days to be honest. Best to concentrate on trying to learn the basic colours/reactions already posted and the reaction mechanisms.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.